2022 MLB playoffs

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
No :poop: . Every year it seems to creep a couple of days. Either they need to start the season earlier (in warmer cities or domes) or cut the schedule back to 154 games.

Remember when summer's end rolled around and then after the WS there was still time to cut the grass a few more times before the whistle blew on the first football games of the season?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Remember when summer's end rolled around and then after the WS there was still time to cut the grass a few more times before the whistle blew on the first football games of the season?

I'm not quite old enough to remember the WS before the LCS's. But it certainly was over mid-October.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
No :poop: . Every year it seems to creep a couple of days. Either they need to start the season earlier (in warmer cities or domes) or cut the schedule back to 154 games.
I would start the season a bit later and reduce it to 150 games. I think the wildcard series are too short and unfair to the away team. So expand all the series: wildcard to Best of 5, all others to Best of 7. At one point I was for making all playoffs series Best of 7.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't like the wild cards, especially now that they have expanded it. I'm of an an age when there were two leagues and the best team in each league played in the World Series. That was the post season, usually played in nice early October weather. Then they went to three divisions and, I believe, two series.

Now we have multiple wild cards which diminishes the value of the long, regular season even more. Why should a team that was barely over .500 even get a chance to play against a team that may have won 100 games and may even have dominated the ~.500 team during the regular season? Of course we know the reasons - more revenue for baseball from more games and keeping fan interest up to attend games for wild card teams, such as the Phillies.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

lizkat

Reaction score
Waiting for-evah for this moment and I forgot the damn 2nd game of the day-night double-header. Doh!! I'm glad he finally done it and hope he can still snag the triple crown. Not likely as he's a few points behind and I suspect Aaron Boone will not put him in the lineup for the last game tomorrow.

Too bad that drought before #61 was quite as long as it was... would have made triple crown a no brainer. But anyway breaking Maris old record is massive accomplishment, especially considering these days a guy can face so many fresh pitchers in a single game...

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Too bad that drought before #61 was quite as long as it was... would have made triple crown a no brainer. But anyway breaking Maris old record is massive accomplishment, especially considering these days a guy can face so many fresh pitchers in a single game...
It's a shame that the HR record chase probably killed his chance at the triple crown. It's also a shame that Cole blew another game and the Yanks couldn't snag their 100th win of the season. My fantasy of another Subway Series with the Mutts being hosted by my Yanks looks dim at this point.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

I watch PTI most evenings and they did either a birthday or anniversary of Steve Carlton. One year he had a record of 27-10 on a team that only won 59 games. He completed 20 of them. In a year. Pitchers today won't get 20 CG's in a career.

Babe Ruth was probably a great player, but he did not have to face pitching like they have today. Even Marris didn't. So that makes Judge's accomplishment so much more special.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I was kind of following this game on ESPN's Gamecast. Saw the Phillies took the lead and then went and ate Dinner. Came back and saw the final, but looking at the play-by-play, something didn't look right. So maybe someone can figure out what I am missing. Here is the Phillie's Top of the 9th,

PHI-STL T9.png

So Hoskins got the 1st Out. Then Stott grounded into a Fielder's Choice for Out 2. So now we have 2 outs. How does Schwarber hit a Sac Fly to center? Shouldn't that have been the 3rd out?

What am I missing? There are no errors listed.

10 players batted = 6 runs, 3 outs and 1 LOB (Marsh)

The only thing I can think of is the FC was actually a hit and just not listed as an Infield Single.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was kind of following this game on ESPN's Gamecast. Saw the Phillies took the lead and then went and ate Dinner. Came back and saw the final, but looking at the play-by-play, something didn't look right. So maybe someone can figure out what I am missing. Here is the Phillie's Top of the 9th,

View attachment 18273
So Hoskins got the 1st Out. Then Stott grounded into a Fielder's Choice for Out 2. So now we have 2 outs. How does Schwarber hit a Sac Fly to center? Shouldn't that have been the 3rd out?

What am I missing? There are no errors listed.

10 players batted = 6 runs, 3 outs and 1 LOB (Marsh)

The only thing I can think of is the FC was actually a hit and just not listed as an Infield Single.
Nope, the FC doesn't automatically give the batter a hit. The fielder also does not get an error on the play. Basically, the fielder took a chance to get the lead runner out and lost. So the batter doesn't get a hit and the fielder doesn't get an error. IIRC, it doesn't count as a plate appearance.

lizkat

Reaction score
Shoot. Cleveland just had 3 on base and left them all there... good thing i don't have a hat to burn. Well it's not over yet, so....

Hours later... 12th inning and still no score.... gee...

Last edited:

lizkat

Reaction score
Great finish for Cleveland, walk-off homer by Gonzalez in the 15th inning to take it, 1-0 So fine.

Welp... next for Cleveland is facing the Yanks in the ALDS. But for now the Guardians party!

EDIT: Here's a write-up, with embedded twitter video of rookie Oscar Gonzalez' home run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2