Amazon's Ring has provided doorbell footage to police without owners' consent 11 times so far this year

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Nothing will make you lose the support of your customers like violating their privacy, I don't see this ending well for Ring.

Washington (CNN Business)Amazon's smart-doorbell company, Ring, has provided surveillance footage to law enforcement without a warrant or the consent of doorbell-owners 11 times this year alone, according to a letter Amazon (AMZN (AMZN)) sent to Congress earlier this month.

The disclosure highlights the degree of Amazon's control over data generated by the doorbells' cameras and microphones, as well as its deepening relationships with thousands of police departments across the country.

The July 1 letter responding to questions by Sen. Ed Markey and made public by his office on Wednesday shows that Ring frequently makes its own "good-faith determinations" as to whether to provide surveillance data to law enforcement absent a warrant or the consent of the doorbell owner.

Under its policies, Ring "reserves the right to respond immediately to urgent law enforcement requests for information in cases involving imminent danger of death or serious physical injury to any person," the letter read. The company also requires police to fill out a special "emergency request form" if there is an urgent need to bypass the normal law enforcement process, according to the letter.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Nothing will make you lose the support of your customers like violating their privacy, I don't see this ending well for Ring.

You mean Amazon doesn’t give a 💩 about user privacy? I am shocked; shocked I tell you!!!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I believe that the use of Ring doorbells has been forbidden in my condominium community because of the invasion of privacy due to the relatively close proximity of neighboring units to one another. My neighbor directly across the breezeway from me doesn't need to see each and every time I leave or enter my unit or when I have visitors. Ditto for me, I don't need to know what she is doing. Also we are prohibited from putting security cameras on one's deck, especially at the boardwalk level as well as on the outside of the building anywhere, including adjacent to one's windows (someone in my building had a security camera aimed at the parking lot in order to keep an eye on his car and had to remove it).

Top Bottom
1 2