Anybody [else] use home air purifiers?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We've been using them for a couple of year now, and have been updating our units, moving existing to other rooms, replacing with newer ones. They really seem to help with the general air quality, sinus health - plus provide a source for some pleasant white noise :D

We've only used BlueAir, but I had a good price on a COWAY come up, they've been well reviewed in terms of price and performance, but I do see a few comments about poor CS, especially when it comes to warranty. I ordered when I saw that good deal on Amazon, but I think I'm going to cancel (or attempt to, or send it back unopened), because I hopped over to the BlueAir site and see several of their products are on sale 50% off direct, in particular, the models for larger rooms and more effective filtration that are basically the BlueAir competitive product to the COWAY (both have a 5 year warranty, it's just a question of getting it resolved if something does go wrong).

We have a couple of 211+ and 411+, and now, assuming I don't stick with the COWAY 400S, looking at a BlueAir 680i while they're 50% off.

D

Deleted member 215

Yes, I have a Shark air purifier in my apartment, this one specifically: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...rt-sensing/5599232?keyword=shark-air-purifier

A friend of mine and his girlfriend bought one and I liked it when I went over to their place so I decided to get one for myself. I bought it in part because it's now the norm for the air quality in California to be abysmal from about the end of July through October due to wildfire smoke. I'm sure it helps with other things, but for me it was mostly about relief from the smoke. I do also use it for white noise.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, Shark products are pretty terrific, when our Dyson vacuum crapped out years ago, we replaced it with a Shark, and it's worked twice as long and twice as good :D

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We've got two Winix Plasmawaves. It's a little disconcerting to see them switch to red as soon as we turn on our gas stove. I think it's helped my wife with her allergies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We've got two Winix Plasmawaves. It's a little disconcerting to see them switch to red as soon as we turn on our gas stove. I think it's helped my wife with her allergies.
We have two of those and they're super sensitive, you can fart right on them and totally turn the light red... awesome, I have video of it somewhere.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have a smart one and when we had the fires for weeks and all the smoke it ran full blast and the filers had to be replaced after the smoke let up they were so black.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We have a Mila in the front of the house. It seems to be doing its job. How do you even tell? Sometimes it sends me messages like “the air is pretty yucky today, you should stay inside with me.”

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Pretty cool, I didn't realize so many people used these.

Per above, I did order that COWAY 400S, it was $599 on sale for $437, usually it drops to the $499 range at most, so I jumped right on it. Then I did more research, and determined that 1) the sq/ft changes indicated was rated at 2 changes, vs. the more standard of 4 which was 780 sq/ft (and they did document this in the main description), the same as the BlueAir I was shopping (i.e., I thought it covered more area). In fact, the BlueAir is 4.8 changes per hour @ 780 sq/ft, so better. Then I read on some other sites that the warranty, while good in duration, was often hard to get resolved.

I was not actually able to cancel the order before it shipped, but I cancelled in at the shipping process (which of all the years on Amazon, I don't think I've ever done). So it didn't continue to me, and we get a refund. I get the difference vs. pre-shipment, is the latter instantly credits you, post-shipment, there's a 3-5 day delay, but no biggie.

Then the real kicker was the BlueAir 680i being 50% off direct, so that's a $450 discount which was hard to pass on (basically the same price as the COWAY). If anyone else is looking, they have several models on this 50% off sale, and they only took a day to process, shipped out quickly, it will actually be here tomorrow. Looking forward to having a smart unit too, it does air quality analysis, etc., but my real interest is in setting up a schedule so it runs full speed in the late evenings.

We'll move the 211+ from the TV room to the daughters room and her smaller 411 to like the corner of my office or the landing room. Hahahaha, it will be a swirling typhoon of purified air throughout the house o_O :LOL:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yes!

Fat Tony is up and running, it's a beast, hahaha, it's actually on rollers :D installed the app, super easy to setup the WiFi, and I also setup a schedule item for 12a - 6a to run on high, then drop to low, so we'll get max purification for those 6 hours while we're not around to hear the jet engine.

On low, it's silent, on Med, it's a bit quieter than the 211+ is replaced (which did make its way to the little G's room).

Also lots of air analysis on the app, compares to local outside air quality, and can run on auto where it changes based on the AQ.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Resurrecting an elderly thread...... A while back I read this thread with great interest even as I was reaching for a another Kleenex to catch the next sneeze (not as part and parcel of a garden-variety common cold, but rather, seasonal -- actually, all-year-round -- allergic rhinitis, and thought, "hm....."

Long story short, after doing my research and mulling things over I ordered a Coway AirMega 1512 HH (my condo unit is fairly small, don't need a large air purifier in here). It arrived, I set it up in the bedroom and definitely noticed a difference in the quality of my sleep. Nice! The noise it makes doesn't bother me since I'm hearing impaired, and I quickly learned how to block out the bright blue status light so that it didn't act as a nightlight in the dark room.

So a few days ago I thought, "let's see what happens when I set the air purifier up in the main living area," as this is another place where I often sneeze and blow a lot, even when it's not seasonal (spring and autumn) allergy time. And, yes, although I'm not a great housekeeper I try to keep on top of the basics and I do dust the surfaces in the rooms and I do run the vacuum, but still.....I sneeze a lot. So I unplugged the Coway in the bedroom and brought it out here to the main living area and plugged it in here to see what would happen. Ah, yes, for the first time in a long time, there has been a significant relief in the sneezing and blowing during the day, too! Fantastic!

Now I understand why these air purifier things are so popular and why people are using them in their homes. Definitely makes a difference in the air quality! For someone plagued with allergies, especially allergic rhinitis, it is probably even more noticeable than it may be for others. It's wonderful!

This is a small condo unit, and although the Coway is rated to cover the square footage of this place, I don't think it exactly is totally doing that, but it certainly works great in each of the rooms in which I've placed it. The device is easy enough to move from room to room so I'll do that for a while so that I continue to get my nighttime air purification and then during the day enjoy the same in this room as well. too. At some point after the holidays I'll order another Coway 1512 HH and then will have one in each of the two rooms / areas in which I spend most of my time when at home. I'm definitely sold on the benefits of these air purifiers!

Top Bottom
1 2