Apple’s Sept. 7 Event

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@lizkat

I love Apple refurbs, we've had a number of them, heck, this Mini I work on 12+ hours a day is a refurb.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Huh, I just realised that iOS 16 removes all the old stock wallpapers (including the ones that came with the phone) and the wallpaper's dark mode. Hope Apple reverts that (at lest the missing dark mode) in iOS 16.1...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now setting up my wife’s phone. It’s now on the “copying data” step, and at no point did it present anything about activating on a cell network. I guess that will happen after everything is transferred over?

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I guess that will happen after everything is transferred over?

That's how it happened for me. And that part went smoothly.

Some initial stuff did not go smoothly. Ended up restoring (with a Lightning cable from my Mac) my new phone from a backup I made earlier this morning of my old phone. Fortunately that worked perfectly.

Regarding cellular transfer... was a little nervous thinking one possible outcome would be neither new or old phones would end up having cellular access.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's how it happened for me. And that part went smoothly.

Some initial stuff did not go smoothly. Ended up restoring (with a Lightning cable from my Mac) my new phone from a backup I made earlier this morning of my old phone. Fortunately that worked perfectly.

Regarding cellular transfer... was a little nervous thinking one possible outcome would be neither new or old phones would end up have cellular access.
Yeah, it asked me when it was done. Problem was, my wife turned off her passcode (you need one on the old phone) and never updated to 16.0 (you need that on the old phone), so it didn’t see the old phone as a source for the sim. So now I am updating her phone to 16.0.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the end I just activated the phone on my carrier’s website. The website said it failed, but when I went to “cellular” in the settings it popped up a box that said “carrier is requesting to activate…”. I hit “ok” or whatever, and it activated. The carrier’s website shows that it is the right phone, so I guess it worked out.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So I like the deep purple color.

Already turned off always on display.

Dynamic island isn’t bad at all.

Overall a meh upgrade, but isn’t surprising since I came from a 13 PM.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Everything went smoothly for me. I did the iPhone to iPhone transfer. Never had a problem with that method. It initially said it would take and hour but only ended up taking 25-30 minutes. I wasn’t sure how the activation was going to go with eSIM to eSIM but it went flawlessly. I just selected transfer number and after about a minute it was activated.

Really loving the deep purple. Dynamic Island is so cool. Whoever thought of making a UI element like that around a hardware feature is a genius. I can’t wait for them to open the API up to third party apps. The AOD is pretty cool. I think I’ll leave it on unless I see it eating my battery.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Also I just noticed that the little waveform animation in Dynamic Island when you’re listening to audio isn’t just an animation. It’s actually the waveform of what you’re listening to. Neat.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A bit of feedback on my iPhone 14 ProMax...

I thought Always on Display would be pretty neat and was looking forward to the feature. But...after using it for awhile I decided to turn it off. There's always a clock nearby and/or I'm usually wearing my Apple Watch. That takes care of time/date.

I added widgets to show news headlines, stocks, temp, etc. But if my phone is on the table, and AOD is dimmed to the point of needing to pick my phone up, actually opening a news app in a normal display/brightness really ins't a chore. Temperature is already on my watch.

For me...it seems AOD is a halfway feature. Halfway interesting, halfway annoying.

Other than the above, I really like the phone. Need to get a case for it today.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
A bit of feedback on my iPhone 14 ProMax...

I thought Always on Display would be pretty neat and was looking forward to the feature. But...after using it for awhile I decided to turn it off. There's always a clock nearby and/or I'm usually warring my Apple Watch. That takes care of time/date.

I added widgets to show news headlines, stocks, temp, etc. But if my phone is on the table, and AOD is dimmed to the point of needing to pick my phone up, actually opening a news app in a normal display/brightness really ins't a chore. Temperature is already on my watch.

For me...it seems AOD is a halfway feature. Halfway interesting, halfway annoying.

Other than the above, I really like the phone. Need to get a case for it today.
Someone should do a widget that gives you the blinking red light for notifications :D (Ala BlackBerry). I'm sure there's a few that would like that - not just for nostalgia either. :D

Top Bottom
1 2