Apple and other smartphone makers will be required to support USB-C as part of a single charging standard for mobile devices across the European Union

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I can't wait for my EU edition iPhone and Mac with serial ports, parallel ports, and mandatory optional DE-15 VGA ports, all to power my Hercules monochromatic CGA graphics card.

Or I could just not import one from Europe, and wait for everything to go wireless, meanwhile Europeans are stuck with a government-mandated barnacle for the next two decades.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
In principle this could be a good thing. But it depends on how the law is worded. I think something like "all manufacturers are obliged to provided the latest standard USB port at latest 2 years after the standard goes live" would be great for both the consumers and the state of the industry. I understand there are concerns that standard ports might slow down innovation, but the reality has been that without external push, there is no innovation at all. I mean, USB type A has been de-facto obsolete for years, but there are still new devices using it, simply because manufacturers are lazy, cheap and resultant to use good stuff, you name it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In principle this could be a good thing. But it depends on how the law is worded. I think something like "all manufacturers are obliged to provided the latest standard USB port at latest 2 years after the standard goes live" would be great for both the consumers and the state of the industry. I understand there are concerns that standard ports might slow down innovation, but the reality has been that without external push, there is no innovation at all. I mean, USB type A has been de-facto obsolete for years, but there are still new devices using it, simply because manufacturers are lazy, cheap and resultant to use good stuff, you name it.
I believe it specifically says usb-c, but that’s according to reporting. I don’t know that anyone has published the actual directive.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I just read in another tech blog that the iPhone 15 was going to be USB-C.

No longer a huge issue for me as I use wireless charging, but it could cut down on the number of cords we have to carry when we travel.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just read in another tech blog that the iPhone 15 was going to be USB-C.

No longer a huge issue for me as I use wireless charging, but it could cut down on the number of cords we have to carry when we travel.
It'll work out well for me since I already have it for my Macbook so it'll be one less cable I need. I skipped the 14 but will be getting the 15 when it's available.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For mechanical robustness, I much prefer Lightening over USB-C.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
For mechanical robustness, I much prefer Lightening over USB-C.

At this point, I don't really care which cable, just that there is just 1.

Of course it will probably never be just 1 because too many manufacturers have jumped on the mini-USB as a way to power devices figuring we already had the cables.

Top Bottom
1 2