Apple TV YouTube app screen goes briefly black

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
In the past couple of weeks, as a YT video starts, the screen goes black for a second, and the same happens right after a commercial break going back to the video. I‘m guessing this is a resolution adjustment to 4K. Am I correct? I heard YT went to 4K some time ago on Apple TV but this is very recent for me. Using the latest Apple TV model.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've noticed that as well. In addition to the screen going dark, it takes a few seconds for the sound to kick in, annoying as hell. I Googled about the problem a few days ago, but this is the first acknowledgment I've seen from anyone else. I've re-installed the app and restarted the Apple TV, with no change.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Not seeing anything about it on the YTTV sub but it's worth reporting there, their engineers watch those threads all the time.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if a given channel has to give up some profit to have their vids delivered in 4K and it’s taken some time for the creators to give in and adjust? So now we’re starting to finally notice it. Alternatively, it could be a legit glitch but it sure looks like a resolution adjustment to me. This happens with other apps but YT, with the commercials and short vids, is providing content from a bajillion sources, so it would be quite frequent compared to, say, HBO Max.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I see that behavior in other services, even moving between apps and home, etc., I think you're right on, just some latency between the device and the display when the signal changes (it could the resolution, color encoding, audio, etc.)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried a solution I saw on MR that seems to work. Set the ATV to 4KSDR. A user named Gonzo on MR claims that YT has turned off frame rate matching for the time being. The problem is gone but I had my ATV set to DolbyVision before so, IMO, YT content looks worse and the ATV screensavers are a lot darker, which I don’t care for. No idea if YT intends to fix this properly.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I tried a solution I saw on MR that seems to work. Set the ATV to 4KSDR. A user named Gonzo on MR claims that YT has turned off frame rate matching for the time being. The problem is gone but I had my ATV set to DolbyVision before so, IMO, YT content looks worse and the ATV screensavers are a lot darker, which I don’t care for. No idea if YT intends to fix this properly.
I’ll try that, thanks. I’m surprised YT hasn’t addressed this yet, because it makes ads nearly unwatchable. Not that I care about ads, but you’d think the people paying for them would.

brooklyndinnerguy

Reaction score
I feel your frustration with the Apple TV YouTube app acting up lately. It's been happening to me, too, and it can be a bit of a buzzkill. I've also been wondering if it has something to do with a resolution adjustment, considering YouTube made the jump to 4K on Apple TV some time back. But it does seem like a more recent issue.
You know, while I was on the hunt for solutions, I came across this website at https://multitechverse.com/. They've got a bunch of nifty tech life hacks and tips that have saved my tech-savvy behind more than once. Maybe they've got a fix or workaround for this pesky black screen glitch.

Last edited:

BlueSkies

Reaction score
I've been experiencing this frustrating issue recently.
(black screen for 1-2 seconds at start of a video followed by 1-2 seconds muted sound..
the issue started since 1-2 months ago and I always keep my Apple TV 4K and TV up to date.
I'm using LG CX OLED TV and have Youtube Premium.

Top Bottom
1 2