Apple Watch Ultra

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Got my Ultra yesterday, and have gotten a bit of time with it.

I have tried the S3 in the past, but never really got into the habit of wearing the thing. The big problem was that it was either too loose and jostling around, or too tight and the sensor bulge dug into my wrist. I never could get it to behave like my old digital watches when I was younger before smartphones replaced my watch. With the Ultra, that issue isn’t present for me, but it is still a heavy watch. The alpine band works surprisingly well, but it isn’t my ideal band for regular use as I prefer something that doesn’t let sweat build up under it. I’ll probably have to grab one of the trail bands once they become available.

I did try the sleep tracking feature for the first time, and was able to get a good night’s sleep with the watch on, so that’s good.

The compass app is going to be quite useful when hiking. It shows your parked car as a waypoint automatically (thanks to CarPlay integration with Maps). The wayfinder watch face is already one of my favorites, and one of the few analog faces I like because you can set the face to display minutes rather than hours.

The one thing I wish it supported was setting the behavior of the action button based on the watch face. I could have two watch faces, one for regular use, one for backcountry use, and have the action button do the right thing for each.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I can beat the 36 hours battery life. Will need to see how much it uses during the day.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm on the fence. It's very tempting. Love the design/looks and features.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well today my series 5 dropped dead halfway through my swim at 1 in the afternoon. The Ultra can’t arrive too soon.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Got to see & touch an Ultra in a store today. Suddenly way happier with my S8.

Sure, I would love the Ultra as a secondary watch to use for hikes, swimming, and stuff, but not sold on it as a daily driver.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
After a week of having mine, I like the watch itself. But I'm still not super sold on many bands. Getting one that I find comfortable is surprisingly hard.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'll wait till next version. We're not getting new iPhones till next year, so we'll wait to buy at the same time. I do want to try it out as I imagine it'll be huge on my wrist.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got all excited on Monday when I got an email from Apple saying my Ultra would be arriving early. They provided a tracking number and it showed delivery on Thursday. On Wednesday, it changed to delivery date unknown. Ugh.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Alrighty then. The wait and the expense were worth it. If I swim at 2 pm, I no longer have 24% battery left and have to put the watch back on the charger. After a 1 hour swimming workout at 2, I still have a whopping 83% battery left! I am very happy.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Alrighty then. The wait and the expense were worth it. If I swim at 2 pm, I no longer have 24% battery left and have to put the watch back on the charger. After a 1 hour swimming workout at 2, I still have a whopping 83% battery left! I am very happy.

Still tempted...

Anything(s) you don't like about your Ultra?

Top Bottom
1 2