Argh. iPad Pro won’t charge.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2018 iPad Pro 12.9” doesn’t charge anymore. Tried 3 different chargers and 3 different cables. It sees power (the icon in the top right corner shows charging) but the battery keeps depleting. I even tried cleaning the USB-C port with a toothbrush and compressed air.

I use my iPad constantly, and apple care is expired, so it seems like it’s time to pick up a new M1-based miniLED 5G model. Woe is me.

Interestingly, last night while watching video the iPad became unresponsive, the screen turned pink, and the video sound kept playing. I couldn’t turn off or reboot except by doing the volume/volume/power thing. I assume that the issue is related, since it’s never done that before. Kind of reminds me of an SMC problem on a Mac.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
At least you waited until you have a good reason to upgrade, seems like it will be easier than trying to get a repair but those 12.9" pro models aren't cheap.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least you waited until you have a good reason to upgrade, seems like it will be easier than trying to get a repair but those 12.9" pro models aren't cheap.

Yep. The repair looks like it won’t be too cheap either - a friend of mine‘s wife works at the Genius Bar and the word I’m getting is that if it really is the board, I’d be looking at $700 or so, which is about half the price of the new iPad I’m going to buy instead. And I’m getting the monthly apple care, so that I can extend it past two years.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Does it run if you keep it connected to power?

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i had trouble with my phone not charging recently and tried several cords. even a new one didn’t help. then i tried changing the power brick and i haven’t had trouble since.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Does it run if you keep it connected to power?
Battery isn’t dead yet so not sure. I’m keeping as much juice in it as l can so I can do device to device transfer

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Gotcha. I was thinking it might have some value as a permanently-connected-to-power device. I know when I use ours, it’s always at my desk and connected to a hub/power.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
My 2018 12.9 iPad Pro definitely doesn't stay charged for as long a time as she did in the past, but since most of the time I've got a power source nearby anyway, I just plug her in and we're both happy.

That said, clearly she is not experiencing the issues yours is, and from the sound of it, definitely time for a new iPad for you!

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 2018 12.9 iPad Pro definitely doesn't stay charged for as long a time as she did in the past, but since most of the time I've got a power source nearby anyway, I just plug her in and we're both happy.

That said, clearly she is not experiencing the issues yours is, and from the sound of it, definitely time for a new iPad for you!

…and new iPad is in hand, all my stuff is transferred over, and it is working great. Looking forward to watching some HDR movies on itand seeing how that miniLED screen looks.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I was in the Apple store today but firmly resisted looking at and handling the new iPads, although I did look at and briefly fondle the new 14" and 16" MBPs as well as the new Studio, and cast a quick glance over the Apple Watches and the iPhones in passing as well.... Was only in there to grab a new external Magic Keyboard for my Mac as mine was starting to act up. All is well now in that department....

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was in the Apple store today but firmly resisted looking at and handling the new iPads, although I did look at and briefly fondle the new 14" and 16" MBPs as well as the new Studio, and cast a quick glance over the Apple Watches and the iPhones in passing as well.... Was only in there to grab a new external Magic Keyboard for my Mac as mine was starting to act up. All is well now in that department....
There are times I’m really glad there’s no Apple store around.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are times I’m really glad there’s no Apple store around.

The problem is the Apple Store app - I had to sit around waiting for a plumber yesterday, so I bought myself a new ipad on the app and had it delivered in 3 hours by paying a $9 fee. Apple makes it very easy to impulse buy…. (At least here, where there are probably 5 apple stores within 10 miles)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
By the way, things that jump out at me after using the new iPad for about a day:

1) more RAM is great - apps don’t have to restart nearly as often. Even big ones (like Civ VI) stick around in the background.
2) center stage is kind of neat. Hadn’t ever experience that before. Works well.
3) speed improvement due to M1 is not noticable in most apps. Exceptions so far are excel (switching between tabs and loading complex Spreadsheets) and Civ VI. This is mostly due to iPadOS and apps not taking advantage of the processor.
4) most of the time i don’t notice the screen improvements, other than when watching HDR movies. Did see some slight blooming when white text is on a black background, but only when watching title sequences of a movie so far. Doesn’t show up at all as a problem anywhere else for me, and i probably only noticed it because i was looking for it

The ipad also has improved cameras vs my 2018, but I don’t use the backside cameras ever.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I love that courier service! That's how I got my 13" M1 back in 2020 when things were still pretty bad with the pandemic and I think at that point people needed to make an appointment to go to the Apple store even to buy anything. I ordered the item online and about an hour and a half later the guy was at the door with the new MBP! Pretty cool! I used the service one other time, too, when for some reason I was unable to get to the store and really needed whatever the item was.... The courier service really is very convenient and well worth the $9.00 fee!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I love that courier service! That's how I got my 13" M1 back in 2020 when things were still pretty bad with the pandemic and I think at that point people needed to make an appointment to go to the Apple store even to buy anything. I ordered the item online and about an hour and a half later the guy was at the door with the new MBP! Pretty cool! I used the service one other time, too, when for some reason I was unable to get to the store and really needed whatever the item was.... The courier service really is very convenient and well worth the $9.00 fee!

I actually got an Apple Watch band last week using the service. My wife got a Watch SE (she had a series 0 years ago and hated it. She mostly wears swatches. But she got tired of the batteries dying and she has been eying apple watch for awhile, based on my assurance that series 0 was bad [terrible performance and apps] but things have improved a lot). I saw her band and thought “i really want one of those stretchy loops because they look so much more comfortable than my milanese loop.” And $109 out of my pocket just like that.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I'm trying to hold off until Series 8 comes along in the autumn to replace my Space Black Stainless Steel Series 3, which is valiantly hanging in there. Yes, I remember the huge difference between Series 0 and Series 3 -- I imagine there will be an even greater one between the Series 3 and Series 8. I have been only using the Space Black stainless steel band that I bought with the Space Black Series stainless steel Series 0, but next time around I may go for more variety. It was tempting yesterday to linger in the Apple store and play with all the goodies but I knew that if I did I'd come home with much more than just the keyboard for which I had gone in there! Another day for that..... I needed to get moving right along yesterday so that there would be plenty of time for the pharmacy visit and Moderna booster jab.

Yes, thanks to someone on here who told me that the new silver-and-black keyboard with Touch ID works fine with Intel-based machines, too, I decided to try again with getting one. I had to wait a few days until the store had more in stock (must be a popular item) and was able to get it without problems yesterday. Came home, opened the box, the new keyboard quickly paired with the computer and that was that. I simply didn't bother setting up Touch ID since I don't use it anyway on this machine. I'm happy with this keyboard, which is what I'd wanted in the first place. Next project, which isn't complicated, is to return the wired keyboard that Amazon sent.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem is the Apple Store app - I had to sit around waiting for a plumber yesterday, so I bought myself a new ipad on the app and had it delivered in 3 hours by paying a $9 fee. Apple makes it very easy to impulse buy…. (At least here, where there are probably 5 apple stores within 10 miles)
That just boggles my mind. I still have a 1-2 day wait, since the closest Apple store is a 2 hour drive to New Orleans (2 states away). I could go to the one in state, but it’s a 5 hour drive.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
People like Cmaier and me, those of us who are in a highly urbanized area, are very lucky with the number of Apple stores around us plus the convenience of the courier service. Most of the time, of course, I prefer to go to the store and get something myself, but when it's a large, heavy item or I'm not feeling well that day, nice to just have it brought right to my doorstep. I finally remembered what the other item was, my 24" 4k Thunderbolt 3 LG monitor, which would've been pretty heavy for me to lug from store to car, to house from car. it was great having it delivered!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
People like Cmaier and me, those of us who are in a highly urbanized area, are very lucky with the number of Apple stores around us plus the convenience of the courier service. Most of the time, of course, I prefer to go to the store and get something myself, but when it's a large, heavy item or I'm not feeling well that day, nice to just have it brought right to my doorstep. I finally remembered what the other item was, my 24" 4k Thunderbolt 3 LG monitor, which would've been pretty heavy for me to lug from store to car, to house from car. it was great having it delivered!

Honestly, the stores are so crowded most of the time, that i really prefer the couriers. Parking in Los Gatos or at the Valley Fair mall or at Oakridge takes more than $9 worth of my time alone. Honestly, the easiest stores to get in and out of around here for me are the one at Apple’s headquarters and the one at Stanford Mall (which is near my office). I avoid downtown Palo Alto, and go To Los Gatos if I need the genius bar.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
The Tysons shopping mall and their Apple store are usually pretty busy, too. I usually go there early in the day during the week (a benefit of being retired!), which helps with the parking situation. It pays off at the Apple store, too, especially if I'm buying something important and may have questions or am trading in an item at the same time. If it's just something like a keyboard, mouse or cables I need, no big deal to walk in, grab the thing off the shelf and find a floor associate to ring it up for me.

Top Bottom
1 2