ARM x3 processor

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
nice see a bit of competition to both apple silicon and also x86 silicon.

The British outfit said the X3, revealed Tuesday alongside other CPU and GPU blueprints, is expected to provide an estimated 34 percent higher peak performance than a performance core in Intel's upper mid-range Core i7-1260P processor from this year.

Arm came to that conclusion, mind you, after running the SPECRate2017_int_base single-threaded benchmark in a simulation of its CPU core design clocked at an equivalent to 3.6GHz with 1MB of L2 and 16MB of L3 cache.

In effect, Arm believes its Cortex-X3 cores can outperform the P cores of the Core i7 when running common-or-garden application code. That 28-Watt Intel part, aimed at thin and light laptops, has four performance cores and eight efficiency cores, and a competing real-world Arm-based system-on-chip – whenever or if ever it arrives – would need multiple Cortex cores

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Here is a comparison chart that shows X2 (top red bar), X1s (middle green and gold) and Avalanche (bottom grey):

source

You can see X2 uses a tad less power but Avalanche finishes just enough sooner that it uses a tad less energy in most tests. To compete with an Alder Lake i7, an SoC would have to be something like 2 X3s, 3 or 4 700-series mid-cores (which have AArch32) and 3 or 4 500-series E-cores.

Top Bottom
1 2