Can you afford an old phone?

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
$63k is a lot to spend on a phone that's probably been destroyed by a swollen battery 😅
I was going to comment that I bought a Newton MessagePad 2000 with the original battery (in working condition) around 2011, so if a battery that old hadn't blown up, there's a good chance the iPhone's battery is just fine. And then I realized that the original iPhone is older now than the Newton MessagePad 2000 was in 2011 🫠

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to comment that I bought a Newton MessagePad 2000 with the original battery (in working condition) around 2011, so if a battery that old hadn't blown up, there's a good chance the iPhone's battery is just fine. And then I realized that the original iPhone is older now than the Newton MessagePad 2000 was in 2011 🫠

Well, at least the two original iphones i have sitting in a box haven’t exploded yet. Haven’t tried plugging them in in years, though.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I was going to comment that I bought a Newton MessagePad 2000 with the original battery (in working condition) around 2011, so if a battery that old hadn't blown up, there's a good chance the iPhone's battery is just fine.
I had a 110 for a long time, until I passed it to a friend who collects Apple stuff. Unlike the 2000, the 110 used four triple-As (usually NiMH), so that was not a concern. It also had a C2032 to back up the CMOS storage when the batteries were chnged, which was stone dead – but those are pretty easy to come by.

Top Bottom
1 2