Dpreview.com is shutting down

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Real shame. I found it a very nice place to chat about specific cameras and lenses and such. I guess amazon can’t afford to keep it going anymore?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
This is stunning news..... For years DPR was the place I went when I wanted to learn about a new camera or lens and to read reviews and comments about the gear. DPR has had its ups-and-downs but even so along the way they managed to collect some pretty valuable content and resources which now will disappear when the site closes for good. I read where members can request downloads of their own content but a lot of stuff will just disappear into the ether. It's a real shame.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is stunning news..... For years DPR was the place I went when I wanted to learn about a new camera or lens and to read reviews and comments about the gear. DPR has had its ups-and-downs but even so along the way they managed to collect some pretty valuable content and resources which now will disappear when the site closes for good. I read where members can request downloads of their own content but a lot of stuff will just disappear into the ether. It's a real shame.
Yep. Their review database is a remarkable historical archive. It’s a real shame, and it’s hard to believe it’s costing Amazon so much that they can’t leave it up.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's really sad. I always thought their camera reviews were pretty good.

Yesterday I read that Amazon was laying off another 9,000 employees, adding to the 18,000 employees that were laid off end of last year.

I have to believe phone camera adoption over the years has had some part in reduced Amazon camera sales. Along with B&H rebating sales tax on purchases made online from states that impose sales tax. Personally, I'm a huge fan of making camera and tech purchases at B&H. I've never had an issue and their business is well run. Around a dozen years ago a bunch of photographers and I got a personal behind the scenes tour of B&H in NYC. It's a fascinating place.

B&H acquiring DPReview and its content would be a good move.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
That's really sad. I always thought their camera reviews were pretty good.

Yesterday I read that Amazon was laying off another 9,000 employees, adding to the 18,000 employees that were laid off end of last year.

I have to believe phone camera adoption over the years has had some part in reduced Amazon camera sales. Along with B&H rebating sales tax on purchases made online from states that impose sales tax. Personally, I'm a huge fan of making camera and tech purchases at B&H. I've never had an issue and their business is well run. Around a dozen years ago a bunch of photographers and I got a personal behind the scenes tour of B&H in NYC. It's a fascinating place.

B&H acquiring DPReview and its content would be a good move.
I agree that cell phones have really blurred the lines when it comes to photography. DSLR/Mirrorless cameras almost seem like luxury items as to where just a few years ago you really needed one if you wanted professional looking high quality images. I also think that since most platforms are now designed for low resolution mobile images that it even further separates them from the pack. Times are changing that's for sure.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I agree that cell phones have really blurred the lines when it comes to photography. DSLR/Mirrorless cameras almost seem like luxury items as to where just a few years ago you really needed one if you wanted professional looking high quality images. I also think that since most platforms are now designed for low resolution mobile images that it even further separates them from the pack. Times are changing that's for sure.

Also... One thing I learned way back when phone cameras were less capable (iPhone 4s/5s/6+), depending on subject matter, one's skill in post processing (using better interpolation methods), and end usage, the "standard" goal of having at least 300 ppi for prints is pretty squishy.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
What a shame. I used to consult DPReview often for advice about cameras, lenses, and techniques back in the day. I haven't been there is years, but I just retrieved my password and signed in. It felt so weird to read my posts from 20 years ago, especially when I was shopping for my first DSLR, a D70.

Katbel

Site Champ
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's very sad to see GRAB-good-sites and destroy them: DPReview was one of my favourite
So sick of big tech , ultra-rich and really despicable 😠
As said already by others what is going to cost to Amazon to keep it on even only as repository?
Have they run out of space!?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's very sad to see GRAB-good-sites and destroy them: DPReview was one of my favourite
So sick of big tech , ultra-rich and really despicable 😠
As said already by others what is going to cost to Amazon to keep it on even only as repository?
Have they run out of space!?
Especially silly given that AWS literally sells server access and disk space. And even it it’s not a ton, they surely do get some camera hardware sales from people visiting Dpr.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I suspect that maybe the folks at Amazon thought when they were acquiring DPR that they'd be gaining new purchasers who would read a review or view a video review of a new camera or lens or both and eagerly then jump right into Amazon to buy said item(s). Thing is, local camera shops and reputable photography stores with online presence have been around the internet for a long time and these are the trusted, reliable sources to which most people will turn first, especially if they still have a local camera shop in their area.

OK, so fine, the local shop maybe is out of stock or doesn't carry that particular brand of item in the first place: next resource is going to be B&H, which is internationally known and carries a massive inventory of camera gear and other electronics. Placing an order with B&H will get the item to one's doorstep pretty promptly and reliably, with packaging well done to protect the item in question. OK, so, oops, B&H is out of stock, too? Ditto for other trusted online photography equipment vendors?

Eh, well, let's see if Amazon has it. Ooh, there it is, listed as being in their inventory! Depending upon the situation, such as the perceived urgency for obtaining the desired item in the first place, plus whether or not it is actually in Amazon's warehouse and the entire transaction will be handled by Amazon as opposed to being shipped by one of their Amazon Market vendors, is when things are down to the wire and the decision is made: do I place an order with Amazon or do I just wait for B&H to get the thing back in stock? Will the fragile item arrive in nothing more than a bubble envelope with the boxed item free to bounce and be tossed around inside as it goes through the rigors of being transported and thus in danger of arriving smashed when I open the package?

Bottom line is, at least for me, Amazon would never be my first choice in obtaining a photographic or electronic item, especially when it's simply a matter of waiting a little while for a more trusted vendor to have it available and ready to pick up locally in the shop or ready to be shipped. I suspect that many other professional and amateur photographers have felt the same way and made their choices accordingly. So, yeah, Amazon probably wasn't seeing the ROI that they were anticipating and with other situations facing them right now with this downturn in the overall economy, to the "suits" in charge of things it probably seemed like a quick and easy solution to just dump that photography website that wasn't bringing in lots of new orders anyway and just move on.... Sad, maddening and frustrating for all of us out here who really benefited from what DPR has offered through the years.

Last edited:

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
Okay - so I'm going to be unpopular with this opinion, but please realize I'm just one person with one vote. Also realize that I have never had any trouble personally with the mods or any individual members …. In fact I’ve been nervous to comment or contribute over there so generally I’ve just watched from the sidelines over the years.

I'm incredibly sad for Chris and Jordan but glad to see that they will continue to exist over at PetaPixel.

I’m very sorry for the staff of DPreview losing their jobs - I hope that they find other places to go to work soon.
Having said that , I am not sad to see the cultural entity of DPReview go away.

I feel that DPReview forgot the artistic side of photography a long ago and overly leaned into the technical aspects while neglecting the artistic creative side of photography. Often I found their reviews reading off like that of a graphics card.
With respect to the forums, I found the forums often passive aggressive, antagonistic, (not too dissimilar to the Macrumors apple silicon forums) and quite toxic. Certainly I think it would be a very intimidating place to go for advice for somebody new to photography who wasn’t wearing a hazmat flame suit!
In recent years I found the staff there, in particularly Rishi, to take quite a combative tone when engaging the audience. It was like the stance he in particular took was one of assumed being attacked! I suspect this defensive stance probably came from years of abuse the other way around from armchair keyboard terrorists and just ‘taking it’ got to Rishi and the staff there.
I do sincerely hope that Rishi and his team do find other careers where they are fulfilled, mentally happy and financially secure into the future. It’s not doubt a scary thing for them right now, however I suspect that in years to come they may look back and think to themselves ‘it worked out for the best and I’m glad to be out of that toxic sesspit’.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Late to the party but, yeah, that is quite unfortunate. Haven't been as active on that site recently, so I just noticed it myself when I logged in today and saw the closure notice.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Awww, this makes me sad.

Although I haven't been at DPR in some time, a long time ago in a 2011 galaxy far away, I won a wee "I Love My..." challenge at DPR. I may not have won 5 stars but this beginner photographer was ridiculously tickled at Sinjin's photo being chosen. All you pro photographers please don't laugh (too hard) at this amateur. I think I had a smile on my face for an entire week. :)

DPR I Love My Pet Sm.png

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
There is strong speculation that the site is not going to be pulled down after all. No confirmation on this yet, but the language indicating the site will close has been removed, and DPR is still, quite suprisingly, doing reviews for new cameras. And employees of DPR won't actually confirm an end date, but have said, more reviews coming, and hopefully we can say more soon.... no word on if Amazon is keeping it or if it's being sold, but it would *seem* like the site is not folding completely.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Looks like gear patrol picked them up. Not sure what will happen, but this is better than it getting shuttered, I hope.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Looks like gear patrol picked them up. Not sure what will happen, but this is better than it getting shuttered, I hope.

I wonder if B&H made an offer. Seems like that would have been a great fit.

Top Bottom
1 2