Game Mods- Are You A Purist, A Tourist, Or In Between?

Game Mods- Are you a purist, a tourist, or somewhere in between?

• Purist- I want to play the game as created by the Dev with the restrictions included.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tourist- I want to enjoy the game environment and nit be bothered by challenges.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhere in between, it depends

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think most people fall in the middle. It is a personal standard, everyone decides for themselves what is fun. Of note some developers acknowledge tourists and and regarding game difficulty, included the feature in game settings.

I’ve been in group games where there are the purists controlling the server and no mods, although there are difficulty settings that are set. As a rule, the purists do not rule, most of the people I played with appreciated conveniences, only available though mods, like the beacon on your dead body* so it is easier to retrieve your gear (ARK:Survival Evolved ref), or even worse, a monument that allows you to retrieve your gear without making the trip, lol. 😛

*Of note developers have been known to add mod content into their games if it is very popular.

Personally, I am somewhere in between, but not a tourist. I need some challenge or what is the point? But I definitely don’t want an intriging game to become a job, nor to lose it’s meaning or challenge, but the individual should determines the level of challenge, and for just about all games this is acknowledged by the developer, via the game console of by allowing mods. For co-op games there has to be concurrence regarding the difficulty level.

I acknowledge that there are things in real life I would do if I had to, such as run a dinosaur up the mountain 500 times to gather the word and stone I needed to make a secure base. But for a game, why not just “up” the dinosaur carry weight a bit and just make 50 trips? Doesn’t that provide enough of a sense of accomplishment? ;)

For this example, I have proven to myself that I can fetch wood and stone, I prefer not to be the developer’s sucker and spend an actual day of real time repeating this task, if I don’t have to, especially on an online servers which tends to be perishable. For perspective, there are games that I have spent hundreds of hours playing.

I love Fallout4 to death, but there I kept myself supplied with ammo and gave myself a ridiculous carry weight via the console just because I did not want to be overly inconvenienced. Some of the locations I fought in, there would be tons of loot and I liked outfitting my settlers in my many settlements. I briefly considered storing it and making multiple trips back to a settlement which was grunt work, or just give myself a couple thousand pounds of carry weight to make the game less work. I made no changes to combat difficulty persay, but for my second play though I made a powerful gun available early on. Am I bad? :D

About game mods for anyone thinking about using mods:
  • Sometimes mods add huge convenience to the game, like making 50 instead of 500 trip to fetch supplies, or bt providing fast travel if it is not built in. If I think a games makes me work too hard, I’ll “cheat” by installing a mod to make a task easier to accomplish.
  • Research the mod install process online for the specific game. It can be simple or more complex. When a developer encourages the use of, and allows for mods, it is easier.
  • Mods need updates when mod authors fix, add, or change features or game updates require updating the mods. Some games like World of Warships requires that mods be updated with practically every game version update. This is where I rely on a mod pack, a collection of mods for the game, managed by a mod author who makes it available for download. These are free, dictated my the game developer, but you can usually send financial support to the mod or mod pack created if you feel charitable.
  • If you use a couple mods, it’s not that hard to drop a mod (usually in a folder, into a mod folder) and replace that folder with an update, however I’ve seen where some games require mod parts to be placed in multiple folders. This is more work primarily when updating mods.
  • Often when using multiple mods it becomes easier and is best to use a mod manager. This makes the process of updating mods quick and painless.
  • With multiple mods, some mods need to be placed in a particular place in the mod order. The mod author will add a comment about this in the mod notes.
Examples:
  • In ARK:Survival Evolved the games encouraged mods and hosted them. For a server, the owner of the server decides what mods to include and has an interface to quickly update them when they required updating. The game player when joining the server will see that their mods are updating when they try to join the server, no work fir them.

The game also handles solo games like servers, so if you want to add them to your game, you’ll do that, decide the order, if that is important, and when you start your game, if they need updating they will automatically do that on game launch.
  • Fallout 4- If you are still playing this, Bethesda encourages mods and allows you to pick the mods you want from a mod list. You decide their order, the mid authors should include comments about load order if that is important. I ran about 20 mods in that game. The problem sometimes is that they can trigger game crashes. And the solution is to remove them, but realize that if it is a content mod, the content will specific disappear. It seems like Bethesda is moving to a market place model where you will pay for certain modifications like shiny armor, the author is paid, and I imagine Bethesda will take their cut, but free mods are still there.
  • Fallout 76 also by Bethesda is different because it is multiplayer and the market place there is exclusively for vanity items. No mods that I am of.
  • Nexus Mods- You can find modding support here for multiple games. Their mod manager is very convienent, because it handles everything for you, keeps track, and you just have to tell it to update. Here you can find adult mods that in the case of Fallout 4 might include more adult language, nudity or even sex in a dark room. ;)

I used a beautiful body mod, because I wanted some of my settlers hanging out in the hot tub, not in their dirty underwear, but in clean bathing suits. Of note, in my games, the bottom layer of clothing a character wears such as underwear in Fallout, the underwear is actually part of their bodies and can’t be removed without replacing the entire body, hence the need for a body mod.
  • World of Warships- Mod updates are required for just about every update of the game. Besides the addition of new ships, I am not sure why. Here I use Aslain’s Mod Manager for something like 10 mods. I don’t have to search up and down a list to install individually. His manager, clean installs (the best way) all of the mods on his list that you choose to install, it keeps track of your list.

Top Bottom
1 2