Google announces Bard

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm concerned about the effects these kinds of AI are going to have on the availability of good quality info on the internet. I think there's a real possibility that now-useful sites like StackOverflow become filled with autogenerated junk that may or may not be true/work. Google search is already facing that problem, despite AIs being in its infancy. This last year I've had to append "Reddit" to a lot of my Google searches just to find something, anything at all written by a human, and most of this happened before ChatGPT (or any other mainstream access to large language models).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of the Eliza vs Racter test...

I guess everyone knows Eliza. If not, here is the gist:
Eliza was implemented in LISP by Joseph Weizenbaum, apparently to prove that computers cannot communicate with humans directly, but a lot of people misunderstood it.
It worked on simple keywords. If you typed a sentence with "father" in it, e.g., it would respond to you with: "Tell me more about your family."
I tested it once, and ran into a grammar issue (in the reply) after my third sentence or so.

There is another old AI called Racter, which had certain topics it would talk about, but was a bit erraticly jumping between them, which is why (according to an article) it occasionally was used to train people in communicating with schizophrenic people.
It even wrote a book with the title: "The Policeman's Beard Is Half Constructed"

Someone thought it would be a joke to have Racter communicate with Eliza.
Let's just say, Eliza was a bit overwhelmed by Racter.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Far more serious for content publishers than it looks. Google is of course concerned about Microsoft incorporating ChatGPT into Bing, and so it wants to make its own long anticipated pivot to computing "the answer to more of your queries" -- based on interpreting your search parameters (via AI and using what it has seen of the whole blasted internet) rather than just showing you a ranked list of links larded with ads when you use Google for a search. Hence its amped-up rollout of "Bard" now in a selective beta...

Yeah. There could be ramifications galore for news and other publishers, starting with "fair use" of copyrighted materials.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
1*OTt8jw4XsT3smb7w2ljZKA.png

lizkat

Reaction score

My problem with this is that now the AI chat cat has more or less clawed its way out of the bag, a couple of huge corporations (with the sense actually to know better, somewhere in their engineering ranks) are instantly, anxiously, furiously throwing caution to the winds and rolling out their half baked AI "disrupters" of a now ubiquitous consumer tool --the search engine, even if half the world calls it google-- in hopes of getting a leg up inside their comfy, perceived duopoly. I say half baked because guardrails and idiot-proofing are always the LAST things to get tacked into any application.

So yeah I"m no luddite but for now imma stick to Duck Duck Go for my usually pretty mundane queries. I like picking through the also pretty mundane links that paddle to the shore of that lake, thank you very much.

What this might do for me is tempt me to upgrade my laptop sooner rather than later... and use the one I'm typing on right now on its own network to mess around with whatever that half-tamed chatcat has on offer as time goes on.

lizkat

Reaction score
Aaaaaanddd... another player rushes into the AI chat cat bandwagon, ready or not.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Live demonstration of Bard fails, because the phone is missing, huh?

That paragraph about hallucinations and the linked Wikipedia article therein were both very interesting.

Remember those dozen or so Star Trek episodes where Captain Kirk koaned a computer to death? It appears that ChatGPT has some odd vulnerabilities.

And it seems relevant to ChatGPT

Top Bottom
1 2