PC Greedfall (RPG)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
0B6BFEE3-BBC0-408C-8282-2E7E092A10C5.jpeg

I’m really liking the open world RPG Greedfall (purchased on sale at Steam), the atmosphere, the landscape, the countryside, the characters, and the quests are interesting. There is magic, crafting, and potion making. And you get to craft not for just yourself, but for 5 companions. It’s not terribly complicated, one tip, don’t sell your gear, recycle it for upgrade components.

Your position in this games is an emissary with the ear of your cousin, the Governor. You are a person of authority who often finds themselves in a position where force is necessary, because it is forced on you. You are more or less responsible for faction relations, one of those factions are religious zealots, so there are opportunities to run into religious persecution. You get to choose how honest you want to be with notible people you interact with.

And there are the natives that you are trying to forge a peace with between the various factions that have invaded their lands. One of your companions is a native. And several of these companions are romance-able. My understanding at this point is to see to their quests, engage them, and you might end up in bed with them.

When you go to the new island, you’ll find corruption in the City Guard on multiple levels. I’m finding the premise and dynamics of these stories to be more engaging than in Horizon Zero Dawn, which has an intriguing concept, but the quests are relatively mundane in comparison.

One thing about this game, when you are in combat, in over your head, it lets you know usually with a quick death. Combat is not perfect, not even good at first, with a learning curve, at least it feels that way to me. Getting used to the controls takes more work than I’d like. But as you progress, combat will feel more manageable. Much depends on how fast you are watching your health drain away.

The first real test is the first boss fight, at a low level of development, you may feel like a gimped, cripple. Until you get used to it, it feels awkward in the mobility department, half assed dodging, you can’t roll to avoid sweeping attacks from a large tree critter that bursts out of a ship. I’ll admit that I came close to killing it on normal difficulty, but fatigued, ended up switching normal to easy to get through it, and almost quit the game at this point. This is also where you’ll notice how you like the class you started. Of note, if you did not choose wisely, at the end of the first boss fight, you’ll receive a memory crystal that allows you to respec.

For this game, I’ve found that building your character to your liking requires some research. The Magic class is described as weak at first, but strong at the end, and how dependent do you want to be on potions? Note, magic disregards armor and always damages the target, but I was constantly running out of mana. You can back that up with a pistol. I started over, switched to swords and was unhappy with that, and ended up, going for a Battle Mage build, using primarily hammers which really put dents in armor, with magic backup, using Stasis which both freezes and damages targets.

So now I’m acclimated and vested in the story, let’s see how the second boss fight goes. :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The fighting gets better as you progress, although the game having a roll ability separate from a dodge ability is stupid, because to get both, you have to invest in divergent skills. So I just do my lame dodge and can avoid most monster attacks.

I’m enjoying the quest story lines, one element is there is a theme of colonists abusing and belittling the natives, who have some skills such that the colonists should want to live and let live and benefit from good relations.

Romancing a character requires attention at the proper time or you may miss it. Mostly it’s a perk I think, 👀 with some nice words added, like hopefully we’ll sail together in the future… There is a very low level of any kind of a personal relationship…hello my friend. Why did they bother? Fallout 4 relationships are better than this.

Top Bottom
1 2