Gurman: Mac with touch screen in development

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not surprising, but I’d still be surprised if this went anywhere.

Seems to me that the UI is a big problem because of touch target sizes (I simulate this all the time using my iPad with VNC), so they need to solve that issue. And the MacBook form factor is not the greatest for touch. If you could fold it into a tablet configuration or so that the screen is close to parallel to keyboard, maybe it wouldn’t suck.

I’d be more interested in Apple Pencil support (though the form factor is even more problematic for that).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't see that happening. It would be awkward, especially for any kind of artistic endeavors.

Also... a touchpad and finger works great for making any kind of selections on a laptop display. Raising your hand to touch an on-screen option/selection obscures vision in the process and leaves a grease spot on the screen.

Last edited:

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
Apple’s been slowly increasing various target sizes. It seems inevitable that they will do limited multi-touch at some point.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Apple would be remiss for not experimenting, especially in trying to leverage the ability to run iOS applications on macOS. But yeah usability and product range is a difficult problem - a desktop without an “Apple touch screen” wouldn’t be able to take advantage so … product line split. Not ideal for UI.

Top Bottom
1 2