Interesting interview with AMD architect

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
I watched this interview and found it very interesting ….

Particularly interesting some of Sam Nafzigger’s observations about the benefits of chiplet design especially when it comes to GPU’s.

Apple has touched on a similar philosophy with the M1 Ultra and Ultra Fusion interconnect while obviously not using mixed node chiplets in their silicon.
In any case should be interesting - @Cmaier have you worked with Sam previously? He comes off as an extremely smart guy and a great presenter.

Enjoy.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I watched this earlier and enjoyed it. It's good to get the perspective of an actual engineer rather than marketing bullshit. I realize that he has to stay within the parameters that he can discuss, talk up the product, but he comes off as genuine when explaining his thinking for pushing the company toward chiplets and mixed nodes.

I also get the distinct impression that AMD is doing this in order to save money. I can't see Apple, with its considerable funds, being concerned about having to mix and match process nodes with various silicon products because they're worried about saving a few shekels. AMD is doing much better than years past, but they can't match Apple's coffers. Apple can integrate to the moon, while others have to fight over the scraps.

Also, as @leman has pointed out, Apple sources their own processors, so they can create an SoC with a massive die size, but still make a profit because they can produce it cheaper than purchasing it from someone else.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I watched this interview and found it very interesting ….

Particularly interesting some of Sam Nafzigger’s observations about the benefits of chiplet design especially when it comes to GPU’s.

Apple has touched on a similar philosophy with the M1 Ultra and Ultra Fusion interconnect while obviously not using mixed node chiplets in their silicon.
In any case should be interesting - @Cmaier have you worked with Sam previously? He comes off as an extremely smart guy and a great presenter.

Enjoy.

I think Sam started some time during bulldozer, and I left just before bulldozer? I think he came from Intel in 2009 or so, and I left at the end of 2006. He looks very familiar, though - I think I may have interviewed with him at HP years earlier?

Top Bottom
1 2