iOS News App issues

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve used this app for years but I’ve had trouble for the last couple of months on my iPhone SE2. On cellular, only the first few stories load. This is in areas with plenty of data coverage. Works fine on wifi.

During that time, iOS 14 and 14.0.1 have come and gone, I’ve uninstalled the app and reinstalled, and of course rebooted multiple times. I’m close to giving up.

Any recommendations for a replacement for the News app? Prefer not to use Google and nothing in the App Store is grabbing me. I don’t want a single source app like NYT.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Really is a fuckin problem. Facebook deserves to be crushed.
I hate Facebook. Gotta admit though, that I still really like Twitter a lot.

Sorry the News app is misbehaving for ya. What about Flipboard?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hate Facebook. Gotta admit though, that I still really like Twitter a lot.

Sorry the News app is misbehaving for ya. What about Flipboard?
I agree on Twitter.

Messing with Flipboard now. I’d tried it when this first started and wasn’t patient with it. Was hoping there was a news collection app I wasn’t aware of.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree on Twitter.

Messing with Flipboard now. I’d tried it when this first started and wasn’t patient with it. Was hoping there was a news collection app I wasn’t aware of.
I also tried Flipboard when it first came out. I only remembered it because my son uses it and mentioned it just recently.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Flipboard. Canceled my Apple News subscription. It didn't update stories frequently enough and the few (and dwindling) paywall news sources it includes in the subscription only seemed to have clickbait headlines that didn't offer anything with substance or something I couldn't get from a free source.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I use Apple News+ for magazines, not papers (to which latter I have subs already). So far I'm keeping it. Can't make time to justify subs to what I like to glance through, so i ❤️ news+.

The packages Apple puts together though, gee. I am disappointed by the limited combinations offered. All I really care about is Apple Music, Apple TV+ and Apple News+.

Right now i get the tv+ free due to my 2020 MBA purchase earlier this year, so a la carte I pay them $20 for music and news+.

They don't offer a package (yet) for just those three services. When the free tv+ expires for me i will be paying $25 for a la carte music, tv+ and news+.

So sure, I'd like to bundle those but the combos currently offered don't cut it for me.

The individual bundle for $15 leaves me short the $10 a la carte tab for tv+ and gives me two things i don't need, the Arcade and the extra cloud storage. The premium bundle is $30 but not worth the extra $5 over my a la carte $25 that I'll be paying for what i want.

I'll stick to a la carte in 2021 unless they package up my three faves for less than the $25.

Sometimes I feel like calling up Apple to report to them the total I've shelled out --since even before 1985 considering a couple Apple IIc or whatever-- for hardware for me and a large extended famliy (and neighborhood, hey, if you count a few batt upgrades i did before handing stuff on)... and saying "Look, how about you sell me a custom "individual" bundle at $15/mo and we just call you really, really lucky I ever bought my first Mac, eh?"

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use Apple News+ for magazines, not papers (to which latter I have subs already). So far I'm keeping it. Can't make time to justify subs to what I like to glance through, so i ❤️ news+.

The packages Apple puts together though, gee. I am disappointed by the limited combinations offered. All I really care about is Apple Music, Apple TV+ and Apple News+.

Right now i get the tv+ free due to my 2020 MBA purchase earlier this year, so a la carte I pay them $20 for music and news+.

They don't offer a package (yet) for just those three services. When the free tv+ expires for me i will be paying $25 for a la carte music, tv+ and news+.

So sure, I'd like to bundle those but the combos currently offered don't cut it for me.

The individual bundle for $15 leaves me short the $10 a la carte tab for tv+ and gives me two things i don't need, the Arcade and the extra cloud storage. The premium bundle is $30 but not worth the extra $5 over my a la carte $25 that I'll be paying for what i want.

I'll stick to a la carte in 2021 unless they package up my three faves for less than the $25.

Sometimes I feel like calling up Apple to report to them the total I've shelled out --since even before 1985 considering a couple Apple IIc or whatever-- for hardware for me and a large extended famliy (and neighborhood, hey, if you count a few batt upgrades i did before handing stuff on)... and saying "Look, how about you sell me a custom "individual" bundle at $15/mo and we just call you really, really lucky I ever bought my first Mac, eh?"
Apple is quite skilled with their pricing in hardware and subscription packages to force you to spend more than you want to. They’ll give you some cheap bottom tier that won’t cut it for most people, a next tier up that doesn’t include the one thing you want, and then put the one thing you want at the higher tier with a bunch of other crap you don’t care about but are still going to pay for at a “discount” when all parts are considered.

I think the most blatant example of this is only including News+ in the most expensive new bundle which also forces you to pay for Fitness+. They know damn well that if they included News+ in all the bundles it would make it a lot less appealing to pay for the higher tiers. Arcade is a joke at this point but they are forcing everybody to subsidize it in all 3 packages.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I became extremely annoyed with the boxed headlines in News. Almost every damn headline has five or six words with an ellipsis… How damn stupid is that? They could easily lay it out so I do not have to open a story to find out it is not what I want to read because I could not see the whole headline, but no, just not possible.

So I have three "aggregators" – AP, UPI and Reuters (wire services, actually, which are often content sources) – along with NPR and CBC, plus BBC, Deutche Welle and al Jazeera to cover international perspectives. It may seem like a lot more work to jump around, but I just pick the one that suits my mood at the moment. All (or mostly all) because I hate the layout of News.

Top Bottom
1 2