M1 Air

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Just got a household M1 MBAir and boy-howdy, some issues.

I have a deep dislike for Intel architecture, so I have been on an iPad for quite some time. Big Sur is a genuine nuisance to a luddite like me. I mean, I knew about the obfuscation of the Library directories, so that was no big deal. But getting this thing to a reasonable level of comfort has been a big pain. On the upside, I will not be its primary user (it is a 8Gb/256Gb model – I look to get a mini, maybe the M2 when it comes out), but macOS has become somewhat problematic.

I found that Mail absolutely refuses to talk to my server (it wants more security), so I had to d/l T-Bird – which I was going to do anyway – in order to have a usable email client.

Other little things. Like text. It is really little. And in some cases, it is simply not possible to make it less little. And the security thing. It is not going to the Coffeeshop or retaining any critical info, so it does not need to have the password demanded every time it is awakened (and it might get passed about the house, so the fingerprint thing is not practical). But, I suppose that makes it edge-case usage, because most owners will likely prefer the snugger security.

But, damn, that thing is thing. Like a razor blade. Touching the edges is not pleasant. I rather wish Apple could have found a way to make it less sharp, like maybe giving it a bit of a roll around there,

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I have a deep dislike for Intel architecture, so I have been on an iPad for quite some time. Big Sur is a genuine nuisance to a luddite like me. I mean, I knew about the obfuscation of the Library directories, so that was no big deal. But getting this thing to a reasonable level of comfort has been a big pain. On the upside, I will not be its primary user (it is a 8Gb/256Gb model – I look to get a mini, maybe the M2 when it comes out), but macOS has become somewhat problematic.

I found that Mail absolutely refuses to talk to my server (it wants more security), so I had to d/l T-Bird – which I was going to do anyway – in order to have a usable email client.

Other little things. Like text. It is really little. And in some cases, it is simply not possible to make it less little. And the security thing. It is not going to the Coffeeshop or retaining any critical info, so it does not need to have the password demanded every time it is awakened (and it might get passed about the house, so the fingerprint thing is not practical). But, I suppose that makes it edge-case usage, because most owners will likely prefer the snugger security.

But, damn, that thing is thing. Like a razor blade. Touching the edges is not pleasant. I rather wish Apple could have found a way to make it less sharp, like maybe giving it a bit of a roll around there,
If your Mail server doesn’t have a security cert that is up-to-date, you can tell Mail to trust it anyway:

In the Displays section of the system preferences, you can set the screen resolution to a lower setting which will make everything bigger, but of course less stuff can fit on the screen at once in that case.

For signing in on system wake, you can store 3 different fingerprints for one account (the system can store a total of 5 fingerprints so if you have multiple accounts, then you might hit that limit). You can also turn off the screen lock on my MBP 16”, which I assume is the same for the M1 Air. It gives you a half-dozen warnings and prompts if you attempt to do so on my MBP 16”.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

My daughter wants a new 24" iMac so bad she can taste it. I keep telling her to wait until Adobe is native. But she has a job and is going to do what she wants to do.

Top Bottom
1 2