M2 Pro and M2 Max

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yep, no surprises here. What’s interesting is the GPU core count, one would have expected 20 and 40.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yep, no surprises here. What’s interesting is the GPU core count, one would have expected 20 and 40.
19 GPU cores is certainly a weird number.

Also seems to be bumped up to WiFi 6E?
Yup.

Apple claims that the battery life has increased. IIRC the 16" MacBook Pro already had a 100Wh battery, so it can't be because of increased battery capacity. That's interesting. I was kinda expecting Apple to push the M2 Pro/Max a bit further to the right on the performance vs power usage graph, but it looks like the opposite happened.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Only on the 38-core GPU M2 Max. An artificial limitation to drive people towards the most expensive SoC?

Why artificial? 96GB is only possible with the Max die anyway as it has twice as many memory modules (and a single 64-bit interface module maxes out at 12GB). In principle, the M2 Pro should support 48GB, but Apple decided agains offering this option. Maybe also because the large modules are more difficult to source.

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
19 GPU cores is certainly a weird number.

I'm curious whether the die contains 20 cores (and one is disabled for energy efficiency) or whether there are indeed only 19 GPU cores...

Edit: it's crazy, but the die "shots" published by Apple indeed only show 19 and 38 GPU cores. I guess they ran out of space ^^

1673972143251.png

1673972190792.png

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm curious whether the die contains 20 cores (and one is disabled for energy efficiency) or whether there are indeed only 19 GPU cores...

Edit: it's crazy, but the die "shots" published by Apple indeed only show 19 and 38 GPU cores. I guess they ran out of space ^^

View attachment 21269
View attachment 21270
Yep. Looks like it’s simply a space issue. Perhaps the GPUs were a little bigger than they expected when they first put together the floor plan. (I got spanked once or twice for coming in a little over the area budget for my blocks, so it’s been known to happen).

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Why artificial? 96GB is only possible with the Max die anyway as it has twice as many memory modules (and a single 64-bit interface module maxes out at 12GB). In principle, the M2 Pro should support 48GB, but Apple decided agains offering this option. Maybe also because the large modules are more difficult to source.
Only the most expensive M2 Max SoC can get the 96GB of RAM. The 30-core M2 Max only goes up to 64GB of RAM. I don't see how the number of GPU cores could affect the ability to handle more RAM. I wasn't talking about the M2 Pro as it has half the memory controllers and wouldn't be able to handle more than 32 (48, arguably) GBs of RAM. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Ooh that’s interesting. I looked at the die shot too, but I’m not very good at telling blocks apart.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like much of apple’s progress has been thwarted by the delay to 3nm.

I’m pretty sure this is always what M2 was going to be. I think what happened is that M2 was delayed (supply chain? Lack of reason to stick to the earlier timetable? Delay so there isn’t as big a time gap until they get to M3?) and that all of this stuff was originally planned for 6 months ago or something.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Only the most expensive M2 Max SoC can get the 96GB of RAM. The 30-core M2 Max only goes up to 64GB of RAM. I don't see how the number of GPU cores could affect the ability to handle more RAM. I wasn't talking about the M2 Pro as it has half the memory controllers and wouldn't be able to handle more than 32 (48, arguably) GBs of RAM. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Ooh that’s interesting. I looked at the die shot too, but I’m not very good at telling blocks apart.
I assume that the memory combination restrictions are just about limiting the number of SKUs. Typical Apple stuff.

Top Bottom
1 2