• no mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gaiter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Not how often you mask or where, just...when you do have to mask up, what is your mask of choice?

You might have different masks for your job (looking at you, medical people) and home, so you may choose two three answers.

Me, I'm KN95 all the way.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Recently went from a two-layer cloth (with a pocket for a hepa filter) to N95s. Amazon has them reasonably priced from Honeywell or 3M lately.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been using cloth masks but I've got some KN95s on the way. From what I've heard cloth masks seem to be pretty ineffective against Omicron.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
For non-work use, I use a couple of cloth masks with inserts for filters. I'm comfortable with that setup.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
clockwork-orange-mcdowell.jpg

U

User.45

It depends on the setting.
Patient care setting: N95 + faceshield.
Controlled indoors environment: 3-layer cloth +/- insert => shifting to surgical mask due to omicron
Outside/places with social distancing is easy: cloth + insert
Crowds: surgical mask covered with cloth mask or N95, depending on what I have and the duration.

Truth be told, N95s were designed to hermetically seal the face so for these to be adequately worn, they need a clean shave for optimal performance.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I was using dual layer cloth with pockets for extra filters. I’ll wear whatever is mandated by my company, particularly in light of the general consensus that cloth is not as effective against omicron.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I've been wearing surgical masks since the very beginning of this whole thing. A friend gave me a few to use right as everything was starting and I liked them so much that I bought my own after that and have continued to use them ever since. Sure, they're not pretty and fashionable and they don't match my outfit, but I really don't care about that. I like the disposability piece of this: I go out, I wear the mask, I come home and discard the mask and that's the end of that. No need to fuss with washing a cloth mask in the laundry, no need to worry about if I sneeze while wearing the mask -- have done that a couple of times and while it's certainly not pleasant, the mask protects others and that's important; again, once home, the whole works goes into the trash anyway.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Added gaiter to the poll. I didn’t think to include them because I haven’t seen one in forever. I also added the option of a third response.

Truth be told, N95s were designed to hermetically seal the face so for these to be adequately worn, they need a clean shave for optimal performance.
I know somebody who wears a surgical mask over his huge, scraggly “mountain man” beard. I give him a wide berth since it doesn’t look like that mask even begins to sit anywhere close to his face.

…particularly in light of the general consensus that cloth is not as effective against omicron.
That’s what actually prompted me to ask the question.

Last edited:
U

User.45

I know somebody who wears a surgical mask over his huge, scraggly “mountain man” beard. I give him a wide berth since it doesn’t look like that mask even begins to sit anywhere close to his face.
:D I look like a turtle if I shave my goatee and I'm only willing to do that if I get redeployed to a COVID ward. But I really hoped the pandemic took mountain beards out of fashion. I'm shocked it hadn't.

D

Deleted member 215

It's a black cloth mask. I like it because I barely notice it. It's like putting on a hat or a shirt.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
N95 in almost all cases, will use the surgical if I can't find it but it's rare. It's not the most comfortable and if it's longer than an hour or so I get headaches but I feel safe with it. In my rural area I would say maybe 50% still refuse to wear them in establishments where it's required, I also assume they're unvaccinated as a rule and stay as far away from their selfish asses as possible.

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Gaiters are less than worthless.

It's 2 layers of fairly tight-knit fabric that covers both my nose and mouth.

Can't be any more worthless than the homemade t-shirt ones.

And when I do wear it, I wear it properly. Right now our local Lowe's and Home Depot require their employees to wear masks. Very few wear them correctly with some wearing them below their nose and the rest like a chin strap.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a week’s worth of masks. Not that I go out every day. They are washable and have filters. My biggest problem is remembering to change the filters. But again, I don’t go out often.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Either a surgical mask or N95 depending on the situation. I wear an N95 if I’m around a lot of patients or new hospital intakes. They are also handy in the cold since they don’t cause my glasses to fog up.

Top Bottom
1 2