Meta has threatened to pull all news from Facebook in the US if an 'ill-considered' bill that would compel it to pay publishers passes

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
  • Meta threatened to pull news from its US platform over a media bill, in a statement on Monday.
  • The media bill will require Facebook and other platforms to pay publishers to distribute news.
  • Meta previously cut all access to news in Australia after a similar bill was passed in the country.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
TYT seems to believe it would allow news markets to collude and set prices for news content share on social media platforms (so even places like here). Are they mistaken?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
TYT seems to believe it would allow news markets to collude and set prices for news content share on social media platforms (so even places like here). Are they mistaken?
Hmm, right now one company is literally calling all the shots, but the worry is that hundreds or thousands of competing news sites might collude if the balance of power shifts away from Facebook? I call BS.

PS - What is TYT?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Getting news off of Facebook is a good thing. When people see real news stories mixed in with crazy uncle Louie’s links to neo-Nazi blogs, they seem to lose their grasp on reality.

It's also a natural progression away from shopworn notion of the 90s that "information wants to be free."

Turns out journos are like the rest of us: they want to be paid for hitting the road to put legs under stories worth reading.

Also turns out that people are willing to pay for news after all, and that publishers and advertisers have to work for a living and continue to innovate if they want to compete for eyeballs. There are now more bundling and a la carte offerings from online news providers. When paywalls first went up, internet denizens said F that and the newspapers turned to cutting deals with social media and aggregators.

Eventually some papers said ok this is not working for us and someone said how about a paywall after a few freebies, or how about letting subscribers share freebie links to some stories and maybe have an array of pieces every day that are free to read because public service. Then it was how about letting a subscriber share a sub with someone else. Yeah someone finally remembered that in real life people do read the newspaper for free over some else's shoulder in the train.

All that at least kept ad rates up.

Now we're at the dicier stage that streaming platforms have already arrived at: promos, promos, promos. Fortunately to cut down on churn, some papers have also realized that not everyone wants to deal with monthly bills and would rather just bite the bullet and shell out for a semiannual or annual sub and be done with it. So there are more payment options besides promotional offers.

The downside is that in the meantime, independent journalism has continued to shrink, hedge funds buy whole newspaper chains, walk in with buyout-or-get-fired offers to newsroom staff, ditch the physical printing side and then flip the thing while there are still real estate assets in the picture.

The upside is that while the internet is not free, and journos are broke, more professional reporters and columnists are now migrating to platforms that host independent publications, and the how-to-retain-paying-subs experiments are rebooting.

So we're not quite to the point where "all news is local" only because our own eyeballs are the only thing observing what's happening... but it has got close to that while we've been thinking info is free.

The choice is ours to realize that paying for news is a lot like paying for coffee. I dunno about you but I'd rather make my own coffee and stick to letting someone else tell me what happened last night in Ukraine, Qatar, and even over in East Podunk 40 miles up the road.

I find ways to pay for info I can use, same as I find ways to put beans with the rice. We can all do that, and Facebook can drop dead for my money. To me aggregated news "for free" with a social media app was always a trap, and a foundational part of that other problem: consumer data turning us all into products.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score
Hmm, right now one company is literally calling all the shots, but the worry is that hundreds or thousands of competing news sites might collude if the balance of power shifts away from Facebook? I call BS.

PS - What is TYT?
The Young Turks.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
social media platforms (so even places like here)

One site I frequent has strict rules on quoting any outside sources, including news and such, because they do not want to have to deal with IP litigation. Linking is fine, even required, but quoting more than about 5~10% of the linked content will get your post edited down. It seems like the safest course. We do not have a big user base here, so we can get away with it, but it is still a good idea to use due caution, as no one here would much care to see Eric have issues.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One site I frequent has strict rules on quoting any outside sources, including news and such, because they do not want to have to deal with IP litigation. Linking is fine, even required, but quoting more than about 5~10% of the linked content will get your post edited down. It seems like the safest course. We do not have a big user base here, so we can get away with it, but it is still a good idea to use due caution, as no one here would much care to see Eric have issues.
This is new to me and a bit concerning, I had always assumed as long as a source is cited and the content quoted all is above board. Would like to know if there's more we need to know here, I want to be compliant, especially when it comes to IP.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is new to me and a bit concerning, I had always assumed as long as a source is cited and the content quoted all is above board. Would like to know if there's more we need to know here, I want to be compliant, especially when it comes to IP.
I think your fine. If I understand it right, and I may not!, the concern would be if users were reposting the entire article or at least huge sections of it, circumventing the paywall or ad revenue of the site in question. People writing their own summaries with small quotes and/or providing links to the original material, etc … should all be fine. The problem has been ad revenue has been going to the social media companies/content aggregators instead of the original sources and they’re trying to change that. But fair use should still be fair use.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen

Well, @Cmaier has a law degree and seems to know a lot about such matters. Not sure what his rates are like, though.

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
Social media has been making profits using "free" content that others have been spending real money to produce. It's not surprising to see the businesses that originate the content want to be paid

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It's also a natural progression away from shopworn notion of the 90s that "information wants to be free."

Turns out journos are like the rest of us: they want to be paid for hitting the road to put legs under stories worth reading.

Also turns out that people are willing to pay for news after all, and that publishers and advertisers have to work for a living and continue to innovate if they want to compete for eyeballs. There are now more bundling and a la carte offerings from online news providers. When paywalls first went up, internet denizens said F that and the newspapers turned to cutting deals with social media and aggregators.

The problem with paying for news is, at least as of now, is you have to have too many subs. I would much rather have to stare at an ad for 10 seconds or take a survey before seeing the article vs having multiple subscriptions.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
The problem with paying for news is, at least as of now, is you have to have too many subs. I would much rather have to stare at an ad for 10 seconds or take a survey before seeing the article vs having multiple subscriptions

It's all in the promos and having a calendar and a reminders system you pay attention to. The promos are totally mad these days.. 99c for six months.. what?!

But yeah sometimes I wish there was an app for that... not FB but an app where you check off what you want to read and they show you the promos for everything, what you're subbed to , when it expires, what's the "and then..." rate and if there's an annual alternate. But there's no app like that so for me it was about making a homebrew spreadsheet equivalent and some reminders...

The newspapers and magazines are getting smarter though. They do realize word of mouth counts, and word of mouth on the internet is retweets and links that viewers paste from their reading to elsewhere around the net. To get more of those, they have to attract more link pasters, right? More eyeballs looking into the place just once and maybe tweeting a link?

So the savvier papers are experimenting more with a mix of stuff like giving everybody some free reads, giving people free reads for awhile if they just register, offering absurdly cheap promos for fairly long periods during which their circulation stays bumped by that one reader, letting subscribers share "gift links" or unpaywalled links, letting a subscriber share the whole sub with another person, etc.

Top Bottom
1 2