Missing tiny deadly radioactive capsule in Australia

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Always take your vitamins. People used to think that radioactive elements had a positive health benefit. Then the Radium Girls happened.

This also reminded me of the broken arrow off of the Georgia coast.

The Air Force can't even get its record straight. It would make all of the unexploded ordinance from the World Wars look like firecrackers. It's very unlikely to cause a detonation, being underwater and corroded for so long, but the chance isn't zero.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

And this reminds me of the line from the movie Broken Arrow (The one with John Travolta & Christian Slater, not the western) where one of the characters isn't sure which is worse:

Losing a nuclear weapon or that it happens often enough there is a term for it.

:eek:

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
They've surely driven the length of the road with a detector, and still haven't found it. A key question, not addressed in the article, is this: Given current detector capabilities, how close does the capsule need to be to the road to be found using a dector that is driven on the road?

From the info. they've given, we could calculate intensity vs. distance.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Always take your vitamins. People used to think that radioactive elements had a positive health benefit. Then the Radium Girls happened.

The Air Force can't even get its record straight. It would make all of the unexploded ordinance from the World Wars look like firecrackers. It's very unlikely to cause a detonation, being underwater and corroded for so long, but the chance isn't zero.
There's also a 3–4 megaton Mark 39 warhead buried so deep in North Carolia mud that they weren't able to retrieve the thermonuclear stage, so they just left it there after removing the fissile pit needed to detonate the bomb.
It's a fascinating read--there's some controversy about how close the bomb was to detonating prior to the recovery efforts.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Found it! The article doesn't say this explicitly, but I gather the reason it was found so quickly is that it was close enough to the road (2 m) that its radiation could be picked up by a vehicle driving on it, thus obviating the need for an extensive foot search:

"The capsule was discovered on Wednesday morning, after a vehicle equipped with radiation detection equipment picked up a signal not far from the location of the start of the truck’s journey..."

But I really wish they gave us more detail on just how it was found. They left out the most interesting part, which is the problem with most science reporting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2