MLB - pitch clock is in, defensive shifts restricted from 2023 on

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
There will be other rules changes as well but the pitch clock and limits on defensive shifts are the big deals. Spring training will be interesting...

From the New York Times (paywall removed).

Defensive shifts:

Beginning in 2023, two infielders must be positioned on each side of second base when a pitch is released. Furthermore, all four infielders must have their feet positioned in the infield cutout in front of the outfield grass.
Pitch clock:

A pitch clock will be set to 15 seconds between pitches when the bases are empty, and it will count down from 20 seconds with at least one runner on base. With a runner aboard, a pitcher will be limited in each plate appearance to two pickoff attempts (or steps off the pitching rubber). After that, a pickoff throw will result in a balk — unless the pitcher is successful in obtaining an out. And if a base runner advances, the pickoff/step-off count of two will be reset. Additionally, the batter will be required to be in the box and ready with eight seconds remaining on the pitch clock.

Pitchers already don't like the clock after tests in the minors, but fans tired of games that routinely now run 3+ hours will be appreciative.

As for the stricter requirements for defensive positioning at the time a pitch is released, they may take some getting used to by the players. A five-man infield is apparently still an option but with a pitch clock in effect there's less time to implement defensive shifts on the fly.

lizkat

Reaction score
So Aaron Judge finally got a pitch fat enough to let him tie Maris' record for single season homers, and on a 3-2 count at that. Next up: breaking the record. Hope for his sake it comes a little easier than what must have felt like an exasperating drought before homer #61.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Pitchers already don't like the clock after tests in the minors, but fans tired of games that routinely now run 3+ hours will be appreciative.

I was against a clock when it was suggested a few years ago. Now? Should've been implemented already. I rarely make through an entire game because I know it's going to be lots of foolishness: batters stepping out of the box, multiple pickoff attempts, and pitchers staring down batters for several seconds with many batters calling for time out.

I'm not sure what MLB will do about time outs. That needs to reeled in as well if it's not part of the new rules.

So Aaron Judge finally got a pitch fat enough to let him tie Maris' record for single season homers, and on a 3-2 count at that. Next up: breaking the record. Hope for his sake it comes a little easier than what must have felt like an exasperating drought before homer #61.

I really thought he would have broken the record by this past weekend. I hope he'll break it during the upcoming home series. Roger Maris, Jr. kinda took away from the celebration of the tying home run with his comments about the "Clean" record. MLB will not be changing the record books so it's a moot discussion. Even Judge acknowledges the MLB HR record. I just hope he breaks it within the new few seasons. I believe 73 will be broken eventually.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was against a clock when it was suggested a few years ago. Now? Should've been implemented already. I rarely make through an entire game because I know it's going to be lots of foolishness: batters stepping out of the box, multiple pickoff attempts, and pitchers staring down batters for several seconds with many batters calling for time out.

I'm not sure what MLB will do about time outs. That needs to reeled in as well if it's not part of the new rules.

I really thought he would have broken the record by this past weekend. I hope he'll break it during the upcoming home series. Roger Maris, Jr. kinda took away from the celebration of the tying home run with his comments about the "Clean" record. MLB will not be changing the record books so it's a moot discussion. Even Judge acknowledges the MLB HR record. I just hope he breaks it within the new few seasons. I believe 73 will be broken eventually.

I am tired of them trying to “fix” the game. Play day games, get rid of inter league play, get rid of the NL DL, and knock it off with the free runner, pitch clock, etc. My wife and I watch baseball every day, and it was fine the way it was before they ruined it.

lizkat

Reaction score
I am tired of them trying to “fix” the game. Play day games, get rid of inter league play, get rid of the NL DL, and knock it off with the free runner, pitch clock, etc. My wife and I watch baseball every day, and it was fine the way it was before they ruined it.
I grew up watching triple-A ball in Rochester, then lost track of baseball until after I bought this place in the Catskills. At that time Oneonta had a Penn League team that was in the Detroit Tigers' farm system. THAT was baseball anew for me, right down to splinters on the bleacher seats.. I miss it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Played and loved this sport for 30+ years. From LL all the way up to a season of Rookie. Kept playing in a MSBL until I was in my forties.

I am fine with the pitch clock. We never had one, but we never needed one. We didn't feel the need to strap and restrap our gloves between pitches. Get in the box and go.

I am not really OK with banning the shift. Hire a former FP Softball player and teach the players to slap the ball in the void. It's not hard and you will be on base. And definitely not OK with a limit of throws to first. Steals will be going up for sure. Between the increase in base size (I didn't think this was needed, just put a double base at First like they do in lower leagues) and a limit on throws over, Ricky's record may go down, which would be sad.

lizkat

Reaction score
Played and loved this sport for 30+ years. From LL all the way up to a season of Rookie. Kept playing in a MSBL until I was in my forties.

I am fine with the pitch clock. We never had one, but we never needed one. We didn't feel the need to strap and restrap our gloves between pitches. Get in the box and go.

I am not really OK with banning the shift. Hire a former FP Softball player and teach the players to slap the ball in the void. It's not hard and you will be on base. And definitely not OK with a limit of throws to first. Steals will be going up for sure. Between the increase in base size (I didn't think this was needed, just put a double base at First like they do in lower leagues) and a limit on throws over, Ricky's record may go down, which would be sad.

Yeah I don't like the tinkering with stealing attempts. Let the pitcher decide if he wants to keep trying to nail the guy on first. After decades of allowing a batter to take forever at his turn, now they're gonna start telling the pitcher not to slow the game down by a few extra tries at picking off a base stealer?

Top Bottom
1 2