New smart TVs make Apple TV puck redundant

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
My parents got a new 2020 LG TV this weekend and of course I was chosen to make sure everything works along with their subscriptions. I'm not sure when this happened exactly, but it came with an Apple TV app. So if you are big on purchasing movies or shows from iTunes or watching Apple TV shows you no longer need Apple TV hardware to watch. Also it has AirPlay built in so you can stream anything to the TV from you Apple devices.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
My parents got a new 2020 LG TV this weekend and of course I was chosen to make sure everything works along with their subscriptions. I'm not sure when this happened exactly, but it came with an Apple TV app. So if you are big on purchasing movies or shows from iTunes or watching Apple TV shows you no longer need Apple TV hardware to watch. Also it has AirPlay built in so you can stream anything to the TV from you Apple devices.
I wonder if the Apple TV box will suffer the same fate as the airport routers. The box’s purpose is to get Apple video content onto the TV. If TVs have that ability built-in... well, I don’t think Apple is trying to profit off the boxes themselves, but from the eco system and services.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score

im very interested in this. thanks for posting.

my plasma tv bought 15 years ago will be replaced.

but it was an uphill slog for me to figure out smart tvs and the myriad of service providers here in japan.

i have heard that smart tvs that do have apple tv / apple tv+ app on them are slow. is this true (meaning when a button is pushed it takes a bit of time for the action to appear on the screen).

to buy apple apps for a smart tv, is there a "smart tv iOS app store" ? (sorry, that shows my level of ignorance...)

to get to the apple tv app are there a lot of submenu buttons that need to be pressed?

i don't have an apple tv (box) or a home pod.

is it still a ways away from being able to control any smart tv with a command through a home pod and thereby circumventing the need for an apple tv (box) ?

to get Photos from a mac or iPhone through air play 2 onto a smart tv screen is the reaction time quick?

sorry to bombard you @Chew Toy McCoy and the board with all this but the help on the net including apple still leaves so many questions...

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wonder if the Apple TV box will suffer the same fate as the airport routers. The box’s purpose is to get Apple video content onto the TV. If TVs have that ability built-in... well, I don’t think Apple is trying to profit off the boxes themselves, but from the eco system and servicesI
I think the fact that there is now an Apple TV app on third party hardware says they are more focused/concerned about their subscription service than the hardware. I didn't check if there was also an Apple Music app available, but frankly with the ease of built-in Airplay I don't see that as much of an issue.

I'm not currently in the market for a new TV but I was impressed with this first world problem of never needing to switch inputs to get all the video content I use on the regular. Also kind of cool along with the generic YouTube app on this TV you can add specific YouTube Channels as apps, kind of like Safari favorites as Apps on iOS that will just go straight to that channel instead of going to the YouTube app and scrolling and tapping around to it.

Here's the issue for me. I have a 3D TV and Blueray player and good luck finding one today. I'm not quite sure how that quickly became a gimmick nobody wants but its still cool as shit and 3D content is still being released. I think it became a victim of capitalism, never became cheap or popular enough to include as a default feature, unlike a completely useless USB port. Sure it never works for anything, but it only cost $0.03 to include, so shut the fuck up.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
im very interested in this. thanks for posting.

my plasma tv bought 15 years ago will be replaced.

but it was an uphill slog for me to figure out smart tvs and the myriad of service providers here in japan.

i have heard that smart tvs that do have apple tv / apple tv+ app on them are slow. is this true (meaning when a button is pushed it takes a bit of time for the action to appear on the screen).

to buy apple apps for a smart tv, is there a "smart tv iOS app store" ? (sorry, that shows my level of ignorance...)

to get to the apple tv app are there a lot of submenu buttons that need to be pressed?

i don't have an apple tv (box) or a home pod.

is it still a ways away from being able to control any smart tv with a command through a home pod and thereby circumventing the need for an apple tv (box) ?

to get Photos from a mac or iPhone through air play 2 onto a smart tv screen is the reaction time quick?

sorry to bombard you @Chew Toy McCoy and the board with all this but the help on the net including apple still leaves so many questions...
Something I didn't mention that may or may not factor into your buying decision, but my parents interest in specs or technology isn't at the top of the list. Advertised screen size didn't even enter into it. First and foremost they have a custom made cabinet it had to fit into so fiscal width mattered more than diagonal screen size, the 65" I chose just happened to fit in that space. Also they don't care about 4k, 8k, 20 zillionk doesn't matter to them, and frankly me either. Everything I've seen shows that beyond 4K for the human eye is a complete waste of money (you'll pay a fortune for) and a placebo. Best of all this TV (at Costco) was $700 when there are comparibly sized TV's for $4,000+ if you really want to enjoy the placebos.

On to your questions.

I didn't really notice the apps being more clunky in speed, but if they were it wasn't in an unenjoyable experience sense. What does a few more seconds load time matter? You can still get to the content you want. But also I have cable and my parents have satellite. When you have cable the satellite interface is painfully slow, but at that point you need to punch yourself in the face and then laugh at your first world problems.

There is no "buying" smart TV apps. They're free and they either exist for that manufacturer or they don't. Research the manufacturers and see if they have apps for the services you use.

On this TV remote there is a home button. When you press it, it pulls up a bunch of available apps at the bottom similar to tabs on a web browser except and the bottom of the screen. You button side scroll through them until you get to the one you want and push the ok/enter button and it goes to that service/app. This controller, and this has been around for at least several years, has dedicated label buttons for Netflix and Hulu. So with those services you just press those buttons and instantly go to the app.

From what I saw the Apple TV app basically functions the same way it does on the Apple TV hardware, but also I'm justing going off LG. I don't know what other manufacturers have going on. I didn't really run it through it's paces but I know it did give my parents access to movies and shows they've bought on iTunes.

Not sure what you mean about command stuff. Next question!

For Airplay we all tried out devices. From the Photos app when you go to the Airplay option it showed the TV as one of the devices to connect to. On at least the intitial connection the TV displayed a 4 number code and the devices showed a window to enter those numbers into. Once done it took a couple seconds to connect. Once connected you could swipe through your photos on your iPhone of iPad and the TV pretty much kept up with the swipe. I also tried Airplaying from the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone and there was only a reasonable low buffering period for it to appear on the screen.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Something I didn't mention that may or may not factor into your buying decision, but my parents interest in specs or technology isn't at the top of the list. Advertised screen size didn't even enter into it. First and foremost they have a custom made cabinet it had to fit into so fiscal width mattered more than diagonal screen size, the 65" I chose just happened to fit in that space. Also they don't care about 4k, 8k, 20 zillionk doesn't matter to them, and frankly me either. Everything I've seen shows that beyond 4K for the human eye is a complete waste of money (you'll pay a fortune for) and a placebo. Best of all this TV (at Costco) was $700 when there are comparibly sized TV's for $4,000+ if you really want to enjoy the placebos.

On to your questions.

I didn't really notice the apps being more clunky in speed, but if they were it wasn't in an unenjoyable experience sense. What does a few more seconds load time matter? You can still get to the content you want. But also I have cable and my parents have satellite. When you have cable the satellite interface is painfully slow, but at that point you need to punch yourself in the face and then laugh at your first world problems.

There is no "buying" smart TV apps. They're free and they either exist for that manufacturer or they don't. Research the manufacturers and see if they have apps for the services you use.

On this TV remote there is a home button. When you press it, it pulls up a bunch of available apps at the bottom similar to tabs on a web browser except and the bottom of the screen. You button side scroll through them until you get to the one you want and push the ok/enter button and it goes to that service/app. This controller, and this has been around for at least several years, has dedicated label buttons for Netflix and Hulu. So with those services you just press those buttons and instantly go to the app.

From what I saw the Apple TV app basically functions the same way it does on the Apple TV hardware, but also I'm justing going off LG. I don't know what other manufacturers have going on. I didn't really run it through it's paces but I know it did give my parents access to movies and shows they've bought on iTunes.

Not sure what you mean about command stuff. Next question!

For Airplay we all tried out devices. From the Photos app when you go to the Airplay option it showed the TV as one of the devices to connect to. On at least the intitial connection the TV displayed a 4 number code and the devices showed a window to enter those numbers into. Once done it took a couple seconds to connect. Once connected you could swipe through your photos on your iPhone of iPad and the TV pretty much kept up with the swipe. I also tried Airplaying from the Amazon Prime app on my iPhone and there was only a reasonable low buffering period for it to appear on the screen.

hi
thanks for yr quick thorough answers. i learned a lot.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi
thanks for yr quick thorough answers. i learned a lot.
No problem. Your questions just happened to land at the right time of my experience and interest in answering. Of course my wife left me with the kids as a result but that's not really your fault. We had issues before this. ;)

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ll ever trust a TV getting its apps updated in a timely fashion. I’ll keep buying Apple boxes until Apple actually makes a TV (probably not happening).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m biased these days since my son’s biggest client is LG. (Although he desperately wants to trade them to someone else.)

At some point in 2021 I’m going to be looking for a new TV, and the idea of having AppleTV built in is extremely attractive. The LG’s are solid, and the price is definitely right.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung smart tv that I love. I no longer need my Apple TV. It has all of the apps l need and is very user friendly. I don’t think I have ever loved a tv this much LOL

With COVID, my hometown is showing the local HS football games online and the other night I cast it from my phone to the Samsung tv and it was super easy.

I also hate the Apple TV remote.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have the Amazon Firestick for each of my devices, it's consistent and has most apps on it. I just don't think this is an area that Apple excels in.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the Amazon Firestick for each of my devices, it's consistent and has most apps on it. I just don't think this is an area that Apple excels in.
I have one of those too. Had that prior to the AppleTV allowing you to watch everything.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I am a very big fan of the Apple TV for one simple stupid reason.

I 🥰😘LOVE😍 the 4K screensaver. The majority of the time I use the puck nowadays is listening to some music ( Chill, Smooth Jazz, or Jazz ) with the wallpapers scrolling by.

Since I'm using that, when I do decide to watch TV I just use that. It also self detected the spectrum app and settings so that was nice too.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
So I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my 2013ish 65" Samsung smart TV for a newer model. I used to run the Netflix and Prime apps from it primarily, but over time I started to notice the delay in sound and video getting worse and worse. I gave up over two years ago when I got the Xfinity X1 box with the smart apps. Don't have the same sound delay issue, and I am wondering if the hardware in the TV cannot keep up after a few years as streaming technology changes.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

I 🥰😘LOVE😍 the 4K screensaver. The majority of the time I use the puck nowadays is listening to some music ( Chill, Smooth Jazz, or Jazz ) with the wallpapers scrolling by.

Since I'm using that, when I do decide to watch TV I just use that. It also self detected the spectrum app and settings so that was nice too.
I love those Apple TV screensavers so much I downloaded software that shows those screensavers on my old Mac Pro (2006) so I can see them there too! I listen to radio on the Apple TV so I can have those screensavers running.... am I out of control?!?!?!?

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

You’ve described the vibe at my place with the screensaver and music. When guests are over, they’re frequently distracted by screensavers.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I love those Apple TV screensavers so much I downloaded software that shows those screensavers on my old Mac Pro (2006) so I can see them there too
You’ve described the vibe at my place with the screensaver and music. When guests are over, they’re frequently distracted by screensavers.

You guys! I just flashed back to some tweeted video that someone put up of their two cats mesmerized by the fly on Pence's head during that VP debate.

That in turn had reminded me of one of my cats sitting in front of a laptop once that was running Apple's Flurry screensaver... and the kitty was acting like she was participating in a laser-dot chase game. I'm lucky she didn't mess the display up, but she was one of those cats who used "soft paws" unless she was sure the object of her attention was a mouse (in which case all bets were off).

U

User.45

I also hate the Apple TV remote.
you mean this engineering marvel?
IMG_0871.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I prefer having a standalone AppleTV box: more flexibility, I suspect better update cycles, "full OS", faster[?], and a consistent UI across all TVs regardless of brand/model. It's also portable which is pretty cool.

you mean this engineering marvel?
View attachment 1127

:LOL:

These help a ton: not only making it easier to use/hold/find, but in the event it is actually dropped, they're also pretty solid protection:

Top Bottom
1 2