Reddit may force Apollo and third-party clients to shut down, asking for $20M per year API fee

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Say what you want about Musk, he does set trends.

Following Twitter’s move to shut down third-party apps earlier this year, it looks like Reddit may be the next platform to kill off (or drastically reduce) popular third-party clients. In a new Reddit thread, Apollo developer Christian Selig has shared details about what Reddit is saying it will cost to use the updated API.

Apollo has become one of the most feature-rich and popular Reddit clients over the past years. But now its future may be in trouble. Indie dev Christian Selig shared the details of what he’s up against on Reddit after multiple phone calls with the platform regarding the cost of its updated API.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't use Reddit or Twitter, but it seems to me that if there is a popular third party app being used then the version being offered by the actual company is lacking or garbage. And using Apple as an example, it seems when they run into that type thing on iOS they just buy the third party developer and bake it into their software on a future release.

I really don't get what killing off a third party access app or extorting them for access is accomplishing. But I'm starting to see a pattern hear. Start charging all the people and developers that bring everybody to your service for mostly free content. Good luck with that. It's like going to a job interview and negotiating how much you are going to pay the employer to let you work there.

Top Bottom
1 2