Rumor: 14” iPad Pro

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I would be sorely tempted, but the rumored 12” with reduced bezels might be where I’d end up. I use my iPad a *lot*, but I need it to be portable, and the weight of the 12” is already unpleasant when I carry it with a keyboard case.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

I would be sorely tempted, but the rumored 12” with reduced bezels might be where I’d end up. I use my iPad a *lot*, but I need it to be portable, and the weight of the 12” is already unpleasant when I carry it with a keyboard case.
Since my 12.9 pretty much doesn't leave the house, the ergonomics of a 14 inch iPP don't concern me.

What does concern me?

More friggin' peripherals to buy for yet another unique device.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
and the weight of the 12” is already unpleasant

I agree. I don't use my 12.9 as much as I thought would. I think it'll make a nice auxiliary moving map/ground display for my flight simulator.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I would welcome a 14” iPad. I use the 12.9 for reading music and as a home computer and as I get older, having a bigger screen would help.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I use my 12.9 iPad more than anything else. I had a Macbook Pro for years before I realized it rarely left my desk. So I got a 27" iMac and the iPad pretty much serves all my mobile needs.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Now I’m wavering and might consider buying one. Curse you all.
If you use the iPad as a laptop ALTERNATIVE ( I hate the whole replacement topic ), it’s very tempting. Not the best as a bed time reader. But with Stage Manager, it could become a very fun device.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Any pCalc (scientific calculator) users here that use it on a large iPad? Is there any way to not have it fill up the whole screen and look and feel like it's designed for the visually impaired? I get that right now iPad is single app per screen. But at least make it smaller and pad with kittens or something.

pCalc works ok on Macs and iPhone. But jeeez, it's so clunky on an iPad. Hopefully that changes with the next os.

Attachments

• iPad pCalc.jpg
    iPad pCalc.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 41

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Any pCalc (scientific calculator) users here that use it on a large iPad? Is there any way to not have it fill up the whole screen and look and feel like it's designed for the visually impaired? I get that right now iPad is single app per screen. But at least make it smaller and pad with kittens or something.

pCalc works ok on Macs and iPhone. But jeeez, it's so clunky on an iPad. Hopefully that changes with the next os.
Well, with the new OS, you can do this!

92A33BCC-735E-4087-9DEE-9C5A645D0B23.png

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Thinking about the upcoming iPadOS some more, that *might* be what will make me want to use my 12.9 iPad more. Today, it's my M1 MBA every time, even with its inferior screen that causes eye strain.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
My complaint about pCalc is that it only supports 48-bit binary numbers. Tried to enter a 64-bit hex value, and it didn't work. I suspect it's one of those programs which is storing ints as double precision floats, thus can't go beyond the size of the IEEE 754 double precision mantissa.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My complaint about pCalc is that it only supports 48-bit binary numbers. Tried to enter a 64-bit hex value, and it didn't work. I suspect it's one of those programs which is storing ints as double precision floats, thus can't go beyond the size of the IEEE 754 double precision mantissa.
James Thomson is super responsive if you contact him on Twitter

Top Bottom
1 2