Rumor: new apple product announcements tomorrow

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
If this is the Mac, this early in January and no event likely means only incremental upgrades based on A15 tech. Would align with leaked benchmarks we saw earlier.

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
If this is the Mac, this early in January and no event likely means only incremental upgrades based on A15 tech. Would align with leaked benchmarks we saw earlier.
Indeed. If the cpu gets 2000+ gb score that’s ok I suppose, I was hoping the M2 Max might be 3nm.

I'm most curious about gpu performance. I don’t believe there’s been any leaks.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Assuming this is true, there's a good chance it will be for M2 and M2 Pro/Max based Mac products, likely spec bumps to the Mac mini and MacBook Pro.

It would explain why we were getting Geekbench leaks recently, since that usually augurs the imminent release of new Macs. This may also indicate that the Geekbench leaked scores are true, and that performance of the M2 generation remains lackluster with the more advanced chips, with these being minor improvements.

Also, assuming the next round of M2 products are released, then perhaps this presages the announcement of the Apple Silicon Mac Pro. They'd likely want to finish the M2 series releases with the top-end product. If Gurman's latest timeline is correct, then that is likely to be a March announcement.

Assuming these events come to pass, I have a few questions:

1. If an M2 Mac mini is announced, then will Apple finally stop selling the Intel Mac mini, or keep it around for legacy purposes? Intel stopped selling the 8th generation Coffee Lake chip that it utilizes over two years ago.

2. Will the Mac Studio also receive an update? Or will they keep it on the M1 generation, as a way to differentiate the Apple Silicon Mac Pro, with the Mac Pro as the only computer to feature the M2 Ultra? (Assuming Gurman is correct about the cancelation of the M2 "Extreme".)

3. If the Mac Pro is announced in March, does this decrease the likelihood of third-party graphics cards? The professional class RDNA3 7000-series won't be released by AMD until the second half of this year, which is what Apple would likely want to use in a new Mac Pro. (Again, assuming that Apple will ever use any third-party graphics in an Apple Silicon Mac ever, which is a highly dubious notion already, but some folks are still holding out hopes for this possibility.)

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
This may also indicate that the Geekbench leaked scores are true, and that performance of the M2 generation remains lackluster with the more advanced chips, with these being minor improvements.

Lackluster, but still very competitive agains the newest AMD and Intel CPUs. M2 Pro/Max will likely outperform any 45W x86 chip while retaining the battery advantage.

Curious about the GPU too. But at this point I don't expect the next-gen GPU (raytracing and all that) to be part of this.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lackluster, but still very competitive agains the newest AMD and Intel CPUs. M2 Pro/Max will likely outperform any 45W x86 chip while retaining the battery advantage.

Curious about the GPU too. But at this point I don't expect the next-gen GPU (raytracing and all that) to be part of this.
Agreed. It seems that M3 will be where the action is, assuming TSMC gets N3 up and running with no hiccups.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting!

The reverse engineering/structure of the Max should give us an idea of what were/are the plans for the Extreme.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Agreed. It seems that M3 will be where the action is, assuming TSMC gets N3 up and running with no hiccups.
I realize this is another unknowable question for those of us outside of Apple's skunkworks, but it looks like the A17 will ultimately be where we get many of the advances that were apparently delayed as a result of global events. What are the chances of Apple skipping the A16 design and instead using the A17 as the foundation for the M3?

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I bet it's the new MacBook Pro models, but if it's the new AirPods Max, i'm still within the return period 😝

It would explain why we were getting Geekbench leaks recently, since that usually augurs the imminent release of new Macs. This may also indicate that the Geekbench leaked scores are true, and that performance of the M2 generation remains lackluster with the more advanced chips, with these being minor improvements.
The last round of leaked benchmarks were not that bad.

EDIT: Last round of benchmarks had the M2 Pro/Max at 2027 (+15.6%) single core and 14888 (+20.8%) multi core. It's true that in the meantime Intel has released some quite powerful mobile(ish) chips, with the i9-13980HK scoring 2117 in single core and 19773 in multi core, but also at the cost of a notable power increase. The 13980HK has a PL2 of 157W, up 36% from the PL2 of the 12900HK (115W).

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I realize this is another unknowable question for those of us outside of Apple's skunkworks, but it looks like the A17 will ultimately be where we get many of the advances that were apparently delayed as a result of global events. What are the chances of Apple skipping the A16 design and instead using the A17 as the foundation for the M3?
I would say likely simply given the timing, but yeah outside of Apple nobody knows for sure.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
*shrug*

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Speaking of things to shrug over, I was going to share this video from Max Tech that they posted on Friday, just for the chuckles, but figured that we'd already maxed out on Max Tech.

Little did I know that Max Tech actually got a real scoop before everyone else, and appears to be right about their leaker's predictions. I know, broken clock and all that, but I suppose one can hope that they're going to try to be a bit more reliable in the future. I appreciate Vadim's energy, I think Max Tech is an approachable channel for people who are new to the Mac platform, and sometimes they do manage to provide useful contributions, such as the bakeoffs they do. It's when they get sucked into their own hype vortex that they tend to misfire and do so badly.

Like most of the other folks who spotted the video last week, I had serious doubts, but I do like to give credit when somebody gets it right, and hopefully they will see the win as encouragement to improve in the future. Perhaps that's overly optimistic of me, but I'm in an improved mood now that we are getting new Mac hardware, even if it's just a relatively minor spec bump. It's been nearly seven months since the release of the original M2, which feels like a lifetime ago, so it'll be good to have something new and interesting to discuss.

Should be interesting!

The reverse engineering/structure of the Max should give us an idea of what were/are the plans for the Extreme.
I'm personally waiting for the M3, at the very least. My 2018 Mac mini with RX 580 eGPU combo is still working okay, but I have been getting a serious case of Apple Silicon envy since the release of the original M1. I've always been of the mind that it's best to wait for at least two revisions of new technology before making a purchase. I'm also of the philosophy to use what I currently have for as long as possible, get as much use out of my current device as I can, then only purchase something new when absolutely necessary, and then enjoy the hell out of it. Essentially, "buy it when you need it, and don't regret it, because there's always something better coming".

It strikes me as stressful (and honestly, wasteful) when I hear of folks upgrading their machines every year or two. It's easy to get caught by the latest hype; Apple's marketing is masterful at exploiting that natural human tendency of wanting the latest and greatest, so resisting the temptation to scratch that itch is challenging.

Also, the transition is taking longer than I had expected, not just in regards to hardware and the M-series, but on the software side, as well. I'm one of those people who actually does use my Mac for dedicated gaming (no matter what PC fans say about Mac gaming), and computer games have been the slowest to go Apple Silicon native. So, there are numerous reasons for why I am waiting. I don't know exactly what Mac I will eventually replace my lowly i3 Mac mini with, most likely an M3 or M4 Pro/Max variant inside a desktop model, but I'm sure it will be a massive improvement over my soon to be antiquated x86 machine. Eventually, macOS will stop supporting Intel chips entirely, but I'll hang on for as long as I feel necessary. I purchased this Mac mini in 2018, just after they were announced, as a "stopgap", because the rumors of a switch to Arm were strong, at that time. I'm currently on year five of the two I had originally expected it to last.

So, you're right @dada_dave, it should be interesting! I had been rather down on the Mac lately, but this incoming release is a much needed boost to us long-time Apple users who want to see the Mac platform succeed.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've always been of the mind that it's best to wait for at least two revisions of new technology before making a purchase. I'm also of the philosophy to use what I currently have for as long as possible, get as much use out of my current device as I can, then only purchase something new when absolutely necessary, and then enjoy the hell out of it. Essentially, "buy it when you need it, and don't regret it, because there's always something better coming".

It strikes me as stressful (and honestly, wasteful) when I hear of folks upgrading their machines every year or two. It's easy to get caught by the latest hype; Apple's marketing is masterful at exploiting that natural human tendency of wanting the latest and greatest, so resisting the temptation to scratch that itch is challenging.
I'm usually the opposite, I update on the first revision of each new technology. I have to say, the Apple Silicon has been one of the instances where Apple nailed it right from the start.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
PowerBook G5.

Hah! I still have my PowerBook Duo. Still boots up, and runs the scientific calculator I designed and sold years ago.

Attachments

• Powerbook Duo 230.jpg
    Powerbook Duo 230.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

B01L

SlackMaster
Reaction score
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe...
Assuming this is true, there's a good chance it will be for M2 and M2 Pro/Max based Mac products, likely spec bumps to the Mac mini and MacBook Pro.

Also, assuming the next round of M2 products are released, then perhaps this presages the announcement of the Apple Silicon Mac Pro. They'd likely want to finish the M2 series releases with the top-end product. If Gurman's latest timeline is correct, then that is likely to be a March announcement.

Assuming these events come to pass, I have a few questions:

1. If an M2 Mac mini is announced, then will Apple finally stop selling the Intel Mac mini, or keep it around for legacy purposes? Intel stopped selling the 8th generation Coffee Lake chip that it utilizes over two years ago.

The M2 Pro Mac mini (starting at $1099 for 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD) will take the place of the 2018 Intel Mac mini...

2. Will the Mac Studio also receive an update? Or will they keep it on the M1 generation, as a way to differentiate the Apple Silicon Mac Pro, with the Mac Pro as the only computer to feature the M2 Ultra? (Assuming Gurman is correct about the cancelation of the M2 "Extreme".)

Mac Studio; not even a year old, and it would mean Apple would need to announce the M2 Ultra SoC as well; that will be reserved for the M2 Ultra Mac Pro in March...

And keeping the Mac Studio to the M1 Max/Ultra SoCs at this time would make those wanting the M2 Ultra SoC buy the new ASi Mac Pro, more profits for Apple...

3. If the Mac Pro is announced in March, does this decrease the likelihood of third-party graphics cards? The professional class RDNA3 7000-series won't be released by AMD until the second half of this year, which is what Apple would likely want to use in a new Mac Pro. (Again, assuming that Apple will ever use any third-party graphics in an Apple Silicon Mac ever, which is a highly dubious notion already, but some folks are still holding out hopes for this possibility.)

The only add-in cards I see for Apple silicon would be Apple GPGPUs; MPX (without the TB foldback thingie) modules for the ASi Mac Pro, and eGPU models for everything else...

Hopefully...?

I'm personally waiting for the M3, at the very least.

M3 Ultra/Extreme SoCs on the (assorted) 3nm process will give us the real ASi Mac Pro...

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm personally waiting for the M3, at the very least. My 2018 Mac mini with RX 580 eGPU combo is still working okay, but I have been getting a serious case of Apple Silicon envy since the release of the original M1. I've always been of the mind that it's best to wait for at least two revisions of new technology before making a purchase. I'm also of the philosophy to use what I currently have for as long as possible, get as much use out of my current device as I can, then only purchase something new when absolutely necessary, and then enjoy the hell out of it. Essentially, "buy it when you need it, and don't regret it, because there's always something better coming".

Also, the transition is taking longer than I had expected, not just in regards to hardware and the M-series, but on the software side, as well. I'm one of those people who actually does use my Mac for dedicated gaming (no matter what PC fans say about Mac gaming), and computer games have been the slowest to go Apple Silicon native. So, there are numerous reasons for why I am waiting. I don't know exactly what Mac I will eventually replace my lowly i3 Mac mini with, most likely an M3 or M4 Pro/Max variant inside a desktop model, but I'm sure it will be a massive improvement over my soon to be antiquated x86 machine. Eventually, macOS will stop supporting Intel chips entirely, but I'll hang on for as long as I feel necessary. I purchased this Mac mini in 2018, just after they were announced, as a "stopgap", because the rumors of a switch to Arm were strong, at that time. I'm currently on year five of the two I had originally expected it to last.

So, you're right @dada_dave, it should be interesting! I had been rather down on the Mac lately, but this incoming release is a much needed boost to us long-time Apple users who want to see the Mac platform succeed.

Aye I agree I like to keep my computers for awhile. Too stressful otherwise is right. On the other hand, you are also correct that this drawn out transition has also been mildly stressful the other way - stuck in limbo. Let’s see what tomorrow brings!

Top Bottom
1 2