Samsung phone cameras fake the moon

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

If true (I have no way to try it, but several people on this thread claim to have reproduced the experiment), then apparently, if the phone thinks you’ve taken a photo of the moon, it replaces whatever blurry circle it finds with a nice sharp image of the moon. Presumably in order to make their zoom capability look much better than it is.

Countdown to the class action lawsuit starts….now

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

If true (I have no way to try it, but several people on this thread claim to have reproduced the experiment), then apparently, if the phone thinks you’ve taken a photo of the moon, it replaces whatever blurry circle it finds with a nice sharp image of the moon. Presumably in order to make their zoom capability look much better than it is.

Countdown to the class action lawsuit starts….now

Holy shit man, this is an incredible catch on the part of this op, who did a great breakdown of the process. I don't think anyone would argue that the use of AI in this respect is a bad thing as long as it's disclosed. But when you pass it off as genuine it's an entirely different thing, they're basically selling a lie.

Get 'em I say, it's unfair to those of us who work hard for our genuine shots.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A big problem with this is people buy the phones assuming that if the cameras can take such great moon photos at 100x zoom or whatever, then they can take great photos of other things at much shorter distances. But the 100x zoom only works great on the moon, and only because it cheats, looks like.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A big problem with this is people buy the phones assuming that if the cameras can take such great moon photos at 100x zoom or whatever, then they can take great photos of other things at much shorter distances. But the 100x zoom only works great on the moon, and only because it cheats, looks like.
There is only so much compensation you can get from a pea sized camera lens and AI improved digital zoom. There is no substitute for real lense with optical reach and I don't know how they can ever overcome that obstacle. When I take moon shots the lenses I use alone are anywhere between 2 and 4 pounds, nevermind the weight of the camera and tripod.

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
At least Samsung didn't do this....

1678776676730.png

Top Bottom
1 2