Silk Sonic FFS!

Goport

Power User
Reaction score
I was quite happy hating Bruno Mars and not knowing Anderson .Paak even existed ... but I will own up here and say my favourite album of last year and a total guilty pleasure is "An Evening With Silk Sonic". The sheer exuberance and fun these guys have is infectious and the live performances are incredible. The whole 70s Philly Soul vibe, song writing, vocals and musicianship together with the choreography is so well done. ... I guess I like Bruno Mars now? FFS!!!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I was quite happy hating Bruno Mars and not knowing Anderson .Paak even existed ... but I will own up here and say my favourite album of last year and a total guilty pleasure is "An Evening With Silk Sonic". The sheer exuberance and fun these guys have is infectious and the live performances are incredible. The whole 70s Philly Soul vibe, song writing, vocals and musicianship together with the choreography is so well done. ... I guess I like Bruno Mars now? FFS!!!
Always liked Bruno Mars for his musical chops. Was a bit pissed off how he and his collaborators copied some Old Skool musicians, but once they worked out credits and royalties, I was back on the bandwagon. .Paak I discovered from his Tiny Desk with his appearance (great place for me to discover new-to-me acts). I actually said to myself that he would be a good collaboration with Bruno.

Goport

Power User
Reaction score
Always liked Bruno Mars for his musical chops. Was a bit pissed off how he and his collaborators copied some Old Skool musicians, but once they worked out credits and royalties, I was back on the bandwagon. .Paak I discovered from his Tiny Desk with his appearance (great place for me to discover new-to-me acts). I actually said to myself that he would be a good collaboration with Bruno.
I must confess I didn't know much about Mars as I don't listen to contemporary music often. I still don't much like the earlier songs but I am stunned by his musicianship and live vocal performances. Same goes for .Paak in terms of really nailing the grooves with flair whilst singing. But he works well as a standalone singer and fits in with Mars really well.

Glad you mentioned the Tiny Desk shows - its been a real joy watching knowns and unknowns (for me at least). This recent performance by Madison Cunningham really impressed me and I am on a deep dive finding out more material from her right now. She gets compared to Joni Mitchell but there's a a bit of Jeff Buckley in there too. Great vocals, clever lyrics and some great guitar with rhythmic complexity that I struggle to get my head around. Not everyones cup of tea but a reminder to me that Tiny Desk is still throwing out some great artists into the spotlight :)

Top Bottom
1 2