Thinking of a new bike (bicycle) ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looking into some "hybrid" type models, something that's good for the road, but effective for light offroad duty, thinking of maybe a Trek Dual Sport:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, a bit more (er, a lot more ... :LOL:) than I want to pay, plus, I've done a lot of bike riding/cycling (mountain, road, and BMX/trick/trial when I was much younger), I'm pretty used to/confident with a "traditional" bike.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looking into some "hybrid" type models, something that's good for the road, but effective for light offroad duty, thinking of maybe a Trek Dual Sport:

Interesting concept. Reminds me a little of my Fat Chance, a mountain bike I converted to mostly road use, but could still be used in light off-road situations.

Attachments

• Fat Chance 1.jpg
    Fat Chance 1.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 16

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Interesting concept. Reminds me a little of my Fat Chance, a mountain bike I converted to mostly road use, but could still be used in light off-road situations.

Yeah, mild front suspension, that can be locked, wider tires, but still decent road efficiency, kind of a mid-sport position. I was looking at the FX too, which moves a little more toward being more road tuned (mostly fork and tires), probably a bit faster on road, but this is purely for fun, workout and whatnot.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Yeah, a bit more (er, a lot more ... :LOL:) than I want to pay

Geez, I have not priced bikes for a few years. That was what I paid for my StreetMachine 14 years ago, including the hydraulic brakes, racks, fairing and a 14-speed Rohloff hub. That hub is fucking awesome, with even-step gearing, can be shifted at a stop, no derailleurs, solid German build, get one if you can ($1800+ but really worth it).

leman

Site Champ
Reaction score
Geez, I have not priced bikes for a few years. That was what I paid for my StreetMachine 14 years ago, including the hydraulic brakes, racks, fairing and a 14-speed Rohloff hub. That hub is fucking awesome, with even-step gearing, can be shifted at a stop, no derailleurs, solid German build, get one if you can ($1800+ but really worth it).

Yeah, I also have one in my custom built trekking bike and it’s awesome. Took my entire monthly salary but I wanted to get myself a present for defending my PhD 😅

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like there are some good upgrades going from the Dual Sport 2 to 3 (for $190): saddles, gears, crank, tires, wheels (tubeless), bars, grips - shifter/derailleur goes from a Shimano Altus to Deore, brakes go from a " no name" to a Shimano RT26, the DS3 is also a 1x gear setup.

In stock at a local Trek dealer, hahaha, I might be up and riding in a day or so :D

We've all got lower end beach cruisers right now, I've got a long frame type cruiser that's fun to ride, I can ride whenever, but looking for something to get in some more lengthy rides in the 10+ mile range.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Nice thing about bicycles is how very modular they are. In my early 20s, I bought a Schwinn Varsity and replaced the components with better ones over the course of several years until it was the same bike but everything on it was improved. Including the frame. You might say it was a petrified bicycle.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice thing about bicycles is how very modular they are. In my early 20s, I bought a Schwinn Varsity and replaced the components with better ones over the course of several years until it was the same bike but everything on it was improved. Including the frame. You might say it was a petrified bicycle.

The bicycle of Theseus?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Oh yeah, I had $Ks in my road bike (Cannondale), but especially my MTB (Gary Fisher), the latter, eventually, I don't think had anything original other than the frame and even that had been powder coated (with some repro original Fisher stickers).

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, sounds like the DS front suspension is pretty weak, and it's kind of in a weird use case, it's not enough for any kind of real suspension needs, and only slows/weighs down the bike. Sounds like the FX is the better option - but I also started cross shopping:

Specialized
Marin
Giant

And that really opens up the options, especially around my desired price point. The research continues :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, sounds like the DS front suspension is pretty weak, and it's kind of in a weird use case, it's not enough for any kind of real suspension needs, and only slows/weighs down the bike. Sounds like the FX is the better option - but I also started cross shopping:

Specialized
Marin
Giant

And that really opens up the options, especially around my desired price point. The research continues :D

Yeah, I think it's probably down to:

Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

= or =

Giant Escape 2 Disc

Right about the same $750-795 price point, a lot of the same gear - and a terrific local bike shop is an authorized Specialized and Giant dealer (so I can also order from the factory site, and have it dropped to a store for final prep and delivery).

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Went with the Sirrus X 2.0. :)

The shop had both a medium and large in stock which was awesome, got to try both, sometimes with bikes, the specific geometry, your body ratios, etc., may make a difference, and it did. I actually went with the medium vs. large, we're not talking a huge difference, ~ 1/3" wheelbase, the biggest thing was the stand over, the large was a little tight, in the *ahem* area, about 1" diff for the medium. You can ride a little bigger or a little smaller, I liked the slightly smaller frame, it felt a little more agile and especially where I'm going to be tossing this bike around a little.

I totally dig on the simplified single/1x front gear, and the ratios are solid plenty of low and high (40t front and a 12-42t cassette). And very glad I went with the wider, more offroad tuned tire (700x42mm), based on my first ride back at home, I forgot how much soft stuff, gravel, I tend to ride through.

Awesome hydraulic disc brakes, terrific shifters, high quality chain, wheels, spokes, everything is forged, stainless, register online and at least the frame has a lifetime warranty.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Did 8.22 miles, super fun, cut through some off road/park areas, the big bridge across and back, hahaha, big headwind on the return up A1A.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Banana seat with the wheelie bar or whatever that was called. Mine had a dark orange, sparkly seat.

I recall my Dad taught me to ride by launching me down a big hill ... :ROFLMAO:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Having a blast with the new bike, really like the setup, size, it was a great decision to go with the X 2.0 with the more rugged tire setup, I ride a decent amount on road, but also bomb through a lot of gravel, unpaved park areas, ditches, etc. It's really just the perfect balance of on/off, easy to toss around, quick enough on pavement with plenty of gear with the 1x8 setup (and shifting is so quick and hassle free).

Top Bottom
1 2