TV crash

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Has anyone had this happen? We had it on a PBS channel (OTA, the Japanese channel) and it was tiling pretty badly, when at some point the TV stopped responding to the remote. I went up and hit the power "button" on the front and it would not respond to that or any other control, so I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in. It came on fine and was working (still tiling though), then it crashed again, so I had to do the hard restart and then, once getting away from that channel, it has been fine since.

This TV is a hand-me-down from a friend I helped move, an old LG 3D thing. Anyone remember 3D TVs? Damn, that makes me feel old.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This TV is a hand-me-down from a friend I helped move, an old LG 3D thing. Anyone remember 3D TVs? Damn, that makes me feel old.
I had a Sony 4K 3D TV, purchased new in 2015. At the time I still had Comcast, which provided the only 3D content options short of buying a proper player and using physical media. I liked the 3D thing, but so little content. I remember enjoying Edge of Tomorrow quite a bit.

That TV shit the bed this year or last. Just didn't turn on anymore.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Wow, I never even heard of a 3D television. I feel like a dunce! My only actual TVs were a 19" Zenith (black and white) which I thought was pretty cool, not having a clue that a cool TV eventually came with a remote :sleep: ... and "finally" a 13" color model, a Sony Trinitron. When I cut the cable, it wasn't long after that I bundled up the VCR, the TV and a bunch of VHS tapes and put them all out on the lawn with a "free" sign as a start on decluttering,

My next and all subsequent "TV" sets have been laptop or iOS screens. Or... hey, it's possible to watch a downloaded movie purchase on a 7th gen nano iPod! With that though, it helps if you've seen the flick before.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Wow, I never even heard of a 3D television.
Rather than red/green, like the '50s movies, they use some sort of polarization filter (which makes sense, as LCDs are about polarizing light) and you wear a pair of cross-polarized glasses to get the split. There was an issue with some 3D discs that could only play on a 3D player which could show it flat by blocking one of the channels. I saw 3D once in a store, but I am partially stereoblind so the effect is wasted on me. Never tried to find and play 3D content on this one because it is just not worth the trouble.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Rather than red/green, like the '50s movies, they use some sort of polarization filter (which makes sense, as LCDs are about polarizing light) and you wear a pair of cross-polarized glasses to get the split. There was an issue with some 3D discs that could only play on a 3D player which could show it flat by blocking one of the channels. I saw 3D once in a store, but I am partially stereoblind so the effect is wasted on me. Never tried to find and play 3D content on this one because it is just not worth the trouble.

Some models used shutter glasses (which blanked out each eye rapidly). But neither approach was terribly great, and suffered from varying levels of crosstalk. On top of that, it wasn’t always clear which models had acceptable crosstalk levels, and you might have to give up certain aspects of PQ to get less crosstalk. The nicer setups at theaters weren’t so bad as they could control the crosstalk better. Although to be honest, I don’t think you were missing out.

Your crashing TV makes me miss the days when a TV was really just a display with some OSD controls to adjust the picture. These days I don’t even want half the software they shove into these things, and it just makes everything slower.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen? We had it on a PBS channel (OTA, the Japanese channel) and it was tiling pretty badly, when at some point the TV stopped responding to the remote. I went up and hit the power "button" on the front and it would not respond to that or any other control, so I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in. It came on fine and was working (still tiling though), then it crashed again, so I had to do the hard restart and then, once getting away from that channel, it has been fine since.

Wow, I never even heard of a 3D television. I feel like a dunce! My only actual TVs were a 19" Zenith (black and white) which I thought was pretty cool, not having a clue that a cool TV eventually came with a remote :sleep: ... and "finally" a 13" color model, a Sony Trinitron. When I cut the cable, it wasn't long after that I bundled up the VCR, the TV and a bunch of VHS tapes and put them all out on the lawn with a "free" sign as a start on decluttering,

My next and all subsequent "TV" sets have been laptop or iOS screens. Or... hey, it's possible to watch a downloaded movie purchase on a 7th gen nano iPod! With that though, it helps if you've seen the flick before.
I'm not real good on the year for that, but was it in the early 2000's (?) we were in a Best Buy and they had one. I don't remember if it had a curved screen, but I think you had to wear special glasses, to see a normal picture when it was in 3D mode. That's a loser right there, plus you had to sit in the center of the screen?

I've been pretty much anti-3d technology. In the theater it's an unnatural, exaggerated standard. Your eyes turn a regular moving picture into 3D anyway, because of the way your brain works, although I do remember seeing Avatar at a IMax in 3D, and they had a short for the space station documentary and having stuff (parts of the space station) come out into the audience space, ok that was cool. :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Had a 31" which was a PITA to move, so I can't comprehend a 38". Just no good place to grab it.

Right? I had a large Sony Trinitron (lasted for 20+ years), and it was heavy and had absolutely no handholds - just nothing but smooth, slippery plastic. I used to just slide it down my legs onto its side and scooch it around on the carpet to move it. I finally gave it to someone here in the neighborhood a few years ago, I sort of slid it down the stairs, it almost didn't survive :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It took 4 people to move it. It was…horrible.

The bro whose house I used to occupy while they were on vacation had some 45" or 47" monster like that. I had fun watching stuff on it during my caretaking times, but it did occur to me that it must have taken a bunch of people to move the thing. When I mentioned that to the bro he said "yeah and good shocks on your truck when it has to go in for repair." They used a tractor, a sling, PTO-powered winch and French doors off the (raised) great room to get it in and out... very carefully.

Top Bottom
1 2