Twitter API down?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

It appears that third party apps which act as full twitter clients are down, maybe intentionally. I can confirm that Tweetbot doesn’t work for me on iOS/iPadOs. Another client I use does seem to work.

Whatever is going on is suspicious…

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

It appears that third party apps which act as full twitter clients are down, maybe intentionally. I can confirm that Tweetbot doesn’t work for me on iOS/iPadOs. Another client I use does seem to work.

Whatever is going on is suspicious…
I imagine it went something like this...

Musk, on a whim after 1 minute of thought:
"pull the plug on the API"

Engineers:
"but sir, that will make the service unavailable to millions of peop..."

Musk:
"PULL THE PLUG!"

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I imagine it went something like this...

Musk, on a whim after 1 minute of thought:
"pull the plug on the API"

Engineers:
"but sir, that will make the service unavailable to millions of peop..."

Musk:
"PULL THE PLUG!"
Looks to me like they pulled it only for apps that are popular. I have a fairly obscure client that still works. But Twitterrific and Tweetbot do not.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
The lack of any info from Twitter, nor from the micromanaging clown of a CEO they now have, seems intentionally cruel. I can understand they wanting to save costs by taking down the API, but at least acknowledge it.

Spike

Writer, photographer
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I never liked Twitter although I used it for promoting several blogs. I started on Mastadon about two months ago and find it a lot better. And there's no centralized control so there's no Musk types running things.

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
Well, whatever will become of Twitter is fully in the image Musk wants now.

Burning the bridges like this with all the 3rd party Devs and their customers likely means no return to any form of Twitter, at all, barring a major ownership and leadership change some day.

I think it’s as likely that Twitter just keeps fading over time and continues on while lots of folks go to Mastodon or Post or just sort of drift off and stop using it in favor of other things (or nothing)

Musk has shown absolutely no skill in knowing what he had, why it was what it was, and certainly not how to “fix any of its issues”

Just appeasing hyper right wing nut jobs isn’t ever going to make Twitter anything but another Truth Social or Parler type of thing.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Still no official acknowledgement, but it's obvious that Musk has pulled the plug on the API. Worst possible way of doing it, honestly. One of TweetBot's devs is complaining on Mastodon that they can't even update the app now (for example, to offer a way to handle/transfer upcoming subscriptions) as Apple won't approve an update of an app if the app doesn't work (the current state of TweetBot now, since the API key has been revoked).

I believe Apple would approve the update if they set up some kind of "reverse onboarding" to explain what happened with Twitter and offer different ways of handling upcoming subscriptions. But that's beside the point. This has burned the bridges with third party developers. Even a two-week notice would have gone a long way to provide third parties with an orderly way to shut down its operations.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still no official acknowledgement, but it's obvious that Musk has pulled the plug on the API. Worst possible way of doing it, honestly. One of TweetBot's devs is complaining on Mastodon that they can't even update the app now (for example, to offer a way to handle/transfer upcoming subscriptions) as Apple won't approve an update of an app if the app doesn't work (the current state of TweetBot now, since the API key has been revoked).

I believe Apple would approve the update if they set up some kind of "reverse onboarding" to explain what happened with Twitter and offer different ways of handling upcoming subscriptions. But that's beside the point. This has burned the bridges with third party developers. Even a two-week notice would have gone a long way to provide third parties with an orderly way to shut down its operations.

Not to mention that it’s unfair to users who paid for annual subscriptions, etc.

Twitter could have done a million other things. A grace period. Add ads into the API stream (if what they were concerned about was loss of ad revenue). Make third party clients a feature of Twitter Blue. Charge API users a fee.

Instead they ghosted not just the developers, but every twitter user who uses Tweetbot, Twitterrific, etc.

And what happens if users run to Apple to demand refunds on subscriptions that don’t work?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
An interesting take from the WP:

Twitter Jumped the Shark, Now It Looks Like MySpace​

Elon Musk has good reason to laugh at those naysayers who predicted Twitter would crash as soon as he laid off half its workforce. Without engineers to keep it going, opined the critics, the platform would collapse. Two months later, the social media site is still alive and may have even grown.(1)

Its demise, however, is still possible. Not because there’s a lack of talent to catch software bugs or keep the servers running, but because its time may have come. Recent gimmicks include reinstating banned accounts, introducing blue ticks for all,(2)and pseudo-democratic policy decisions. At first glance, none of these alone herald impending doom, merely the whims of a billionaire showing off his new play toy.

But history may show this as the moment Musk jumped the shark. That term comes from the 1970s American sitcom Happy Days, which starred Henry Winkler as the leather-jacketed Fonzie and Ron Howard as freckle-faced Richie Cunningham. At the time, the series was one of the top-ranked shows on US television. By season five, though, its writers were getting desperate for new ideas, so they had The Fonz do a water-ski jump over a shark. That episode, although a ratings success, showed how farcical the producers had become in chasing attention.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sigh … journalists … most people weren’t expecting technical issues to happen immediately. Yes I know some posted pictures of a lettuce as a joke especially once it became clear how self destructive Musk’s reign would be, but just like with Brexit or Trump, structural damage wasn’t going to become apparent day 1. Liz Truss was so short because of the structural damage accumulated up to that point plus her incompetence. Meanwhile, the previous Twitter engineers did their jobs, despite Musk’s claims to the contrary, so he inherited something that was large and was largely functional. The danger has always been that as he pushes a skeleton crew to make changes or respond to crises without the knowledge base lost in the firings, that Twitter will find itself unable to respond. That will take awhile to become apparent. The financial part of course happened far faster than people were expecting precisely because he has been so destructive major advertisers very quickly wanted no part of it. That as well will determine Twitter’s ability to respond to crises of a financial kind. But again since Twitter is private, such issues may be invisible … until they aren’t.

Basically: Gradually, then suddenly.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1673825545411.png

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Twitter acts as if they had no time for making an official statement, but one of the devs they purposely kept in the dark changes the API keys and now Twitter finds time to take them down in less than two hours. Pathetic. Hope this level of 'transparency' keeps advertisers where they are.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Twitter acts as if they had no time for making an official statement, but one of the devs they purposely kept in the dark changes the API keys and now Twitter finds time to take them down in less than two hours. Pathetic. Hope this level of 'transparency' keeps advertisers where they are.

All of this makes for an interesting law school contracts class hypothetical.

Top Bottom
1 2