Walmart + Target

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

JayAgostino

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm going to keep this thread short and concise. Between Walmart and Target, which one do you prefer for your everyday shopping needs?

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, anyway ...

We might occasionally pop into Target for something like markers, or to check out holiday decorations. We use Target Optical for eye care/glasses, so we might grab a few grocery supplies while we're there. We almost never go into Walmart, though I order from them on occasion, and in fact, had an order come in yesterday (and placed the order yesterday :oops:), just a killer deal (some body scrub I use), and there's this specific diet ginger beer I like they carry and deliver (though you'll have to find my posts about the continuous package devastation of that ginger beer :D) which is due here tomorrow.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I have yet to set foot in a Target since there aren't any around here. Walmart about 20 miles away is ok but my shopping for Walmart offerings is now just for staple goods and all done online as the local store has no delivery options, just pickup.

But, I have nextgen who favor Target giftcards so it's not like I don't patronize that company a few times per year after all. 🙂

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
We never go to Wal-Mart and Target is like a twice a year thing. They’re both depressing to me.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We never go to Wal-Mart and Target is like a twice a year thing. They’re both depressing to me.

The Wamart store --the layout or decor or something!-- does seem dreary to me too. When I was still driving, I rarely went there. Preferred the more roomy and lighter vibe in Ames and then K-Mart until after Walmart managed to drive them both out of business. But price-driven consumerism became a real store killer as far as big box stores went back in the 90s. The KMart did managed to make it through a lot of their early cuts. I still miss it.

However, it was a blessing being able to flip between Amazon and Walmart for shipment of staple goods during the early part of covid pandemic.

At that time, Instacart deliveries were just starting to become options here for delivery from grocery stores 15, 20 miles away. That has since been handy for getting perishables restocked. But for staple goods I still bulk-order stuff online from Walmart or Amazon, particularly to make up my winter pantry before the snow flies.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We have an abundance of retail in the area. Never been into the MalWart or the shiny new Costco. Have been in the Target a few times, because they had nicely priced Altoid Smalls I like, but those seem to be going away now. Bought my last microwave there, and saw that they carry Presto percolators, so will probably get one soon, as a precaution. But most of my shopping is either at WinCo (a place that actually has Mrs Stewart's Bluing) or the regional chain that is now owned by Krogers.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
[...] the shiny new Costco.

Only been in Costco one time. We initially joined because I kept seeing these great TV deals and heard it was a great place to buy from (zero question warranty replacement, they pick up, and they usually extend the warranty to 3-5 years, depending on make). We did wind up scoring the TV, has been terrific, I also got our soundbar bar mount from them, another "Costo special", a Sanus (for Sonos :D) that was $79 vs. double that everywhere else.

Both of those were home deliveries.

I went in near the end of the year, i.e., near Christmas. Holy F-ing Hell. :oops:

We let our membership lapse, won't get renew anytime soon.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Only been in Costco one time. We initially joined because I kept seeing these great TV deals and heard it was a great place to buy from (zero question warranty replacement, they pick up, and they usually extend the warranty to 3-5 years, depending on make). We did wind up scoring the TV, has been terrific, I also got our soundbar bar mount from them, another "Costo special", a Sanus (for Sonos :D) that was $79 vs. double that everywhere else.

Both of those were home deliveries.

I went in near the end of the year, i.e., near Christmas. Holy F-ing Hell. :oops:

We let our membership lapse, won't get renew anytime soon.
We shop there regularly, big ticket items occasionally like you say, TV, soundbar, etc. but we typically buy a lot of our food in bulk there and in the end save as a result. Plus their huge whole rotisserie chickens are still $4.99, you've never had a more yummy chicken.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
We have a Costco membership even though we don't have one within 2 hours. I guess that is how much we like it.

It blows Sam's Club away in terms of quality of goods. Plus we can order online as well.
They kept us in TP during the great TP Shortage of 2021. ;)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
we have a Walmart a block away so we use it for only a few things and only the same things we buy elsewhere. they are out of so many things out of the times its a pain to shop there. target is not practical to get to on our bikes.

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don't know enough to prefer one over the other. I haven't been in a Target in years. I do occasionally order online from Walmart but almost always just things that are sold and shipped by Walmart itself. My general impression is that other sellers on Walmart's platform aren't highly regard, based on their ratings.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I don't really like either. Walmart I avoid altogether unless I am traveling and it's the only place around that has something I need. For instance, in my parents' town, Walmart is the only option, and often at the beach towns we visit for vacation, it's the only option.

At home, I'll go to Target if I really need something, but in general I'd rather just go to the grocery store. We go to Costco regularly, so unless it's something specific, I really don't need much from Target anymore; I'll go maybe 6-8 times a year (that seems kind of generous, but I suppose I go once every two months); they do have good prices on the hand soaps I like, so that's one reason I'll go. Or if I need new sheets. Otherwise, I find Target to be a drag. I used to love it, and they have cute things. But at my closest store, the workers like to restock everything midday when everyone is shopping and they they get annoyed with customers who are actually looking for things. I am always left feeling like I've inconvenienced someone while shopping there.

Top Bottom
1 2