Waymo can now provide fully driverless rides in San Francisco

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I've seen these around the city for a couple of years now but they've always had someone in the driver's seat. Last week I saw one cross in front of me with nobody in it and everyone was doing a double take. Local news had one of their people take one, lots of awkward looking sensors but very cool tech that I'm guessing Tesla could only wish for.

1390904981.jpg

Waymo can now provide driverless rides to passengers in San Francisco. On Friday, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) said it granted the Alphabet-owned Waymo a permit to participate in its driverless pilot program, which lets autonomous vehicle (AV) companies transport passengers in test AVs without anyone at the wheel.
Waymo still isn’t allowed to charge for these rides, though.

The state of California requires companies to obtain a series of incremental permits from both the CPUC and the Department of Motor Vehicles before they’re able to charge for driverless rides. Waymo just needs to secure the driverless deployment permit from the CPUC to fully launch its robotaxi service, as it already received clearance from the DMV to charge for driverless rides earlier this week.

Top Bottom
1 2