World Cup 2022

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Finally my Peacock sub turns up useful... streaming replays of World Cup matches. I may improve my Spanish as well...

Was watching the Iran-England game... appalled over a decision to let Iran's goalkeeper (injured in a collision with a teammate) even to attempt to continue play. I mean the guy was down and practically out for a few minutes on the field and no way should have been let to try to resume. Eventually taken away on a stretcher. Should have gone that road to begin with, anyone could see that who saw how he was reacting while on the ground after the collision. Outrageous lack of judgment by officials.

lizkat

Reaction score
Boycotting that dumpster fire…

Iran team stonily refrained from singing their own national anthem, thought that was pretty interesting. They and a number of fans have made no bones about disapproving of the crackdown back home on protests.

But as to the matches. Honestly to play in Qatar... ?! There's a lot of opacity remaining for anyone trying to understand all the maneuvering that landed the games there --and in the wrong season too.

And but for that debacle we might have thought that the scandalous rise and fall of the "super league" cutout attempt last year was perhaps the bottom of the great depths of football's greed and corruption. I watched that Sky docu "Super Greed" the other night just to get in the spirit of the game as the monetizers see it. Short term gains, status quo and closely held, what could possibly be more 21st century than being willing to run interest in the game itself into the ground just for the sake of closeting up the money.

That film was pretty good. The fans had the last word for once with a resounding NO WAY, although that outcome won't solve the overall financial and equity problems.

Anyway you're a better person than I am regarding boycott of the 2022 World Cup. I confess liking to watch the games no matter the unethical underpinnings.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Anyway you're a better person than I am regarding boycott of the 2022 World Cup. I confess liking to watch the games no matter the unethical underpinnings.
It is evident from the headlines and social media clips that I’ve already missed things I would have enjoyed. Quite annoying to have the opportunity to stream all games legally and not do it. Stubborn warthog.

lizkat

Reaction score
I've moved on this morning to wondering about how much "technology" may influence the game itself as time goes on. I had read about installation of sensors in the ball but not in player's jerseys. Jeez. Next the sports betting outfits will be taking money on who grabbed whom first. Do stats improve the game for fans or just clutter record books, yada yada.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Fifa and the Qataris were in talks on the matter on Tuesday, where Fifa reminded their hosts of their assurances before the tournament that everyone was welcome and rainbow flags would be allowed.
It’s like Qatar told FIFA whatever they wanted to hear and never intended to honor their promises. [Insert Surprised Pikachu face]

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
How did Argentina lose to Saudi Arabia? This World Cup seems illegitimate from the start, so perhaps the fix was in?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
How did Argentina lose to Saudi Arabia? This World Cup seems illegitimate from the start, so perhaps the fix was in?
Asada. To much meat, not enough focus?

Argentina managed to lose the game even though they got an illegitimate penalty kick. Extremely questionable VAR decision. Glad everything worked out anyway.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
That tie with Wales hurts the US. You have to figure both teams will finish with 4 points, so the goal differential will determine if the US gets in or not.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Great to see Argentina humiliated even if it’s by another nation that is perhaps worse. Loved seeing Wales draw with the US as both teams looked surprisingly bad. Just need England to maintain their momentum but this is a World Cup and our performances only seem to be good against inferior opposition. As it stands, we should beat Wales and the US. Anything can happen and I’m avoiding most live games if I can.

lizkat

Reaction score
Well FIFA brings all this on itself for not having any... [courage]. Qatar made all these assurances about no problem no problem, and then like an acrobat does backsprings on everything --from beer in the stands to rainbow armbands-- to cave into the clerics.

Would be interesting to know why the Qatari government thought they had the clerics bribed well enough to overlook things normally forbidden. More lies, probably -- by the clerics. If Qatar is lucky it won't end up destabilized for having backed down. So much for appearances of "modernization."

Top Bottom
1 2