WWDC: Messages rumors and other tidbits

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gurman is saying iOS 16 is going to bring more “social network-like functionality” to Messages, “particularly around audio messages.”

No idea what that would mean, as audio messages aren’t really much of a social-network thing.

Would be nice, though, if when someone sent you an audio message if it showed a transcript. I never send them, but my 13-year old is constantly sending them to me, and I‘m usually in a context where I can’t play them without leaving the room. Given all the ML stuff, would be nice if apple took care of that (and is voice mail transcripts still in beta? Enough of that already).

Gurman is also reporting “more smart-home tie-ins” in tvOS, which makes sense.

Finally, “the Mac will get … a much-needed overhaul to System Preferences to make them more in line with Settings on iOS. That includes organizing settings by app.”

That latter bit doesn’t make much sense to me, as Mac apps have never been designed to use centralized settings, so I assume it just means things like centralized privacy permissions that are already there (currently organized by entitlement and not by app).

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2022/05/29/gurman-ios-16-tvos-wwdc-2022/

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gurman is saying
Gurman is turning into Digitimes, broken clock and all that. Back in the day, there were no reliable rumors that the Athlon XP would go to 400Mhz FSB. The only ones that stated that were Digitimes, they were guessing, but looked liked savants when the 3200+ shipping. Gurman is tossing out vague claims about whispers that he might have heard. Much like Digitimes, he'll crow about the two things he got right, forgetting about the eight things that he didn't. It's a shame, because he used to be a top shelf reporter, but probably lost his best sources.

Finally, “the Mac will get … a much-needed overhaul to System Preferences to make them more in line with Settings on iOS. That includes organizing settings by app.”
Isn't an overhaul more or less what happened with Big Sur? I put off upgrading from Mojave and went straight to Monterey, and it took some adjustment getting used to the latest revision of System Preferences. Even now, I still look in the wrong place, but I suppose he is talking about something more substantial.

I admit, I am more excited about WWDC this year, because the leaks have been rather sparse.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
No one I know uses audio messages. A lot of people I know use voice to text when they're out and about. I never use voice to text but I can see why they would use it. I usually prefer not to let people around me know what I'm doing/saying if I can help it.

Social anything is usually a big turn off for me. A lot of my family / people I know send me instagram / Facebook links. I have neither so most of the time I can't see what they're trying to send me.

Looking forward to seeing what this year brings!

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
There is an audio social media app, Clubhouse, that was really big when it first came out, then kind of fizzled. But maybe Apple wants to do their own version of a chat room like that.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is an audio social media app, Clubhouse, that was really big when it first came out, then kind of fizzled. But maybe Apple wants to do their own version of a chat room like that.
Oh, right, I forgot about that. It fizzled for a reason, though.

Top Bottom
1 2