Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names to two schools

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
CNN —
School board members in Virginia’s Shenandoah County voted early Friday to restore the names of two schools that previously honored Confederate leaders – four years after those names had been removed.

The 5-1 vote came after hours of public comment during a meeting that began Thursday evening from people speaking on both sides of the issue. Vice Chairman Kyle L. Gutshall was the sole opposing vote.

“I ask that when you cast your vote, you remember that Stonewall Jackson and others fighting on the side of the Confederacy in this area were intent on protecting the land, the buildings and the lives of those under attack,” said a woman urging the board to restore the Confederate names. “Preservation is the focus of those wishing to restore the names.”

Gene Kilby, the last surviving son of James Wilson Kilby, a Virginia civil rights activist who helped desegregate schools in Virginia, criticized the move to keep the names.

“Why are we here tonight to go back to a time in history that was very cruel, where hatred and racism continued throughout this county and throughout the United States?” Kilby said. “Is this the type of legacy that you want to put in Shenandoah County’s public school buildings?”

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
When I read this article this morning, I did an audible WTF? Then I rubbed my eyes and shook my head and remember who this new Republican party is and what they actually stand for. Make no doubts that the Confederacy is still alive and have been playing the long game. After watching Apple TV's Man Hunt, I started reading about the whole reconstruction again and the movement to kill it. When I was a teen I kinda glazed over this era in US History and never had much interest in it until recently.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
“I ask that when you cast your vote, you remember that Stonewall Jackson and others fighting on the side of the Confederacy in this area were intent on protecting the land, the buildings and the lives of those under attack,” said a woman urging the board to restore the Confederate names. “Preservation is the focus of those wishing to restore the names.”

When she says “lives”, she means “white confederate lives”. By definition, the confederacy did nothing for the USA, except nearly end it, so why this fight to name schools after a bunch of traitor rednecks?

I’d be ok with naming the school after him if their logo was also his arm that got blown off.

Top Bottom
1 2