A new project for 2024 - recorded interviews with portraits.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm going into 2024 with a new project in mind. And that's engaging in person-on-the-street recorded interviews along with my street portraiture. In the past, I'd hit strangers up for just a bit of conversation before asking and making a portrait (the main goal).

Engaging people for more in-depth interviews is something I've been wanting to do for almost a decade, but Covid and a few other things caused a delay in that happening. Seems 2024 with San Francisco appearing to be on an upswing with people out and about is a good time to go forward.

My plan is to hit people up in the downtown and other neighborhoods for a five minute or so interview about a range of topics with respect to where San Francisco has been, and where it's now going. With a focus on gentrification, skyrocketing house prices/rents, rising cost of living, street crime, homelessness, stores going out of business, drugs, SF politics, etc). Seems like a perfect time with life *starting* to return to normal.

Ultimately I'd like to make videos of the conversations, but holding off on that until I get a lot of practice learning how to smoothly conduct impromptu interviews.

To get the ball rolling, I'm converting one of my camera bags to also hold a two track recorder and a couple microphones (a lavaliere for me and a handheld for subjects), along with my camera, a few notebooks, batteries etc. The recorder records in 32 bit floating point so I don't need to sweat setting and monitoring/changing levels.

Attachments

• Camera - Audio bag.jpg
    Camera - Audio bag.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 8

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I recall that some years ago someone on MR talked about doing a sort of similar project, and at that time I wondered, which I do now as well (and actually more so during these more hypersensitive times), just how receptive people will be to having some stranger without official credentials to display approach them on the street and start chatting and then wanting to interview them either in audio or video format regarding perceived 'hot-button" topics..... Times have changed and I think a lot of people seem to be a lot more skittish about being approached by strangers in general....

Anyway, good luck with the project! Keep us posted as to how things go!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I recall that some years ago someone on MR talked about doing a sort of similar project, and at that time I wondered, which I do now as well (and actually more so during these more hypersensitive times), just how receptive people will be to having some stranger without official credentials to display approach them on the street and start chatting and then wanting to interview them either in audio or video format regarding perceived 'hot-button" topics..... Times have changed and I think a lot of people seem to be a lot more skittish about being approached by strangers in general....

Anyway, good luck with the project! Keep us posted as to how things go!

Yeah… I dunno. And won’t know until I try. :)

Over the last 15-20 years I’ve had pretty good success hitting strangers up for conversation that’s lead to making portraits, including in neighborhoods many would call sketchy. The overwhelming majority are OK with that. I just want to step that up a bit with a more structured conversation.

Out of hundreds of past encounters I’m guessing maybe 10 have said no. Some that initially decline, or are skeptical, eventually say yes after a bit more conversation and going into detail about whatever project I’m working on. Or sometimes I just say I’m documenting the City. Carrying 4x6 prints of past SF portraits in my camera bag to show new subjects always helps.

I've found if I approach people in a friendly manner, with honesty and respect, the same flows back with people wanting to help with what I'm doing.

I’m hopeful the issues/subjects I want to talk about resonate with a lot of San Franciscans, many having to endure for years the issues I spoke of above. And, hoping they’ll have strong opinions about how San Francisco slid downhill, and what’s needed to get back to normal. My theory, anyway. :)

Top Bottom
1 2