Aging Pets

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Dinky is 15 now and has become, well, leaky... so here she is in all her glory wearing her first diaper. We had to do the same for our last dog a while before she passed as well, part of the process I guess.

Here she is wanting me to save her from the horrifying experience that my wife put her through when putting it on.

dinky_diaper.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have an 8 year old pug/boston terrier mix, that no longer can jump up on the bed at night. Daddy has to give her airplane rides which she absolutely hates, but hates not sleeping in the bed more. Looks like I am shopping for steps.
We used a ramp for years with Dinky (in the photo) and trained her to use it to get on and off the couch because this breed is prone to back issues, which through proper diet and training we've managed to avoid. She also hates plane rides and if we don't approach her a certain way we risk losing a finger.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My last two cats lived to be 20 and 22 and were grateful winter-rescues who ran the other way if you opened a door to the outside and the temperature out there was anything but the high heat of an August afternoon.

I had one cat back in the 60s who only lived to be 4 or 5, because a blood clot cut loose from his liver, amazingly not for a couple years after he had experienced a fall from four stories up in my previous rental apartment, an old-law walkup. He was an indoor cat from kittenhood on, with no clue about what it was to be anywhere else.

At the time of that falling incident, some idiots visiting me over the weekend had left both the window and the shutters open onto the fire escape... and the cat went exploring, fell, survived, then ran in the direction his nose was facing which was fortunately back into the inner lobby on the main floor of the building, where a neighbor had opened the door and then noticed him rushing past, caught him up and brought him upstairs. I had taken him to the vet and he was an unhappy customer, shredding a couple of their lab coats as they stitched up his tongue and then tried to x-ray him for broken bones. Pronouncing him more fit than they were by that time, they gave him back to me in seemingly good shape and joking asked me if I was sure he was "a domestic animal".

He was a big cat, but yeah domestic, just one of a litter of typical NYC cats from up on Amsterdam Avenue and lucky enough to be born indoors. He had popped out in the shirt drawer of a college pal whose Columbia law school roommate figured that was a cozy place for a stray kitty "to rest, because it was so cold out in that courtyard". Yeah, she was so cold and so pregnant and so wily and persuasive!

The owner of the shirt drawer was away visiting family and was totally unimpressed when he returned to the chore of finding homes for six kittens, the roommate having said he was sorry about the shirt drawer, while insisting he didn't really know any cat lovers. Lawyers, man...

So that cat was still one of my kitties when I moved uptown to a doorman building and he became more securely an indoor-only cat, since the fire escape of his youth was replaced by an interior fire stair door. But one day when I came home he was lying on the floor in the bedroom, probably having been horsing around with one of the other cats. Anyway he appeared to be partly paralyzed with no ability to move his hind legs. I hustled him off to the vet but I knew he was dying because those back legs were already growing cold. Poor thing, so sweet even at the end, licking my hand as I lifted him into the cat carrier. I asked for a necropsy and they found the blood clot that had spun out of his liver, plus some others still in there. They agreed the damage was probably from that hard fall he had taken so much earlier because he seemed otherwise healthy. The clot(s) were just waiting to be sprung loose at random or with some certain stressful motion during play or fighting. Well anyway otherwise he had a pretty good life on this side of the rainbow bridge. He did get along with the other kitties I had back then, so I have no idea what actually happened to him on his last day with us.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's amazing to me how many older cats and dogs look like the walking dead but are still chugging along...and have been for quite some time in that shape. One of the things that has kept me from getting a cat or dog is these later years concerns, both in care and cost.

This is one of the reasons I've gone with reptiles and insects. However, I realized recently that as I'm approaching the age of 50 that I have nowhere near the requisite amount of tattoos that makes this kind of pet ownership socially acceptable for my age. In another 5 years I better have an impressive reptile reserve property or I'm going to be socially fucked.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Wait -- what???? You are "approaching the age of 50" ??!!! For some reason I have had the impression that you were maybe in your late twenties, maybe early thirties....

Aside from that, the whole "socially acceptable" thing with regard to the kinds of pets with whom you choose to share your home should have nothing to do with your age. That's just nonsense. Insects and reptiles appeal to you, have for a long time, your home is their home, too, and that should be all there is to that, whether you're 26 or 66 years old.... Cherish your pets, and give Butters a gentle stroke with a finger or (if she goes for them) a kiss from me!

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
My twin and his wife had to say goodbye to one of their cats. They rescued them from a school nearly 19 years ago. She had a cancerous tumor for the 2nd time. Her sister is not taking it well and they suspect she doesn't have too long before she joins her.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My twin and his wife had to say goodbye to one of their cats. They rescued them from a school nearly 19 years ago. She had a cancerous tumor for the 2nd time. Her sister is not taking it well and they suspect she doesn't have too long before she joins her.

Sometimes it is better for them, not us, to let them go together.

We have two brothers and it is the first time we have had litter mates. They basically share a brain and I don't think either would do well without the other. 🙏

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
One of our little ones is going through the advanced stages congestive heart failure, after a middle of the night trip to the vet ER and an appointment with the cardio doctor we have him on meds but over the last few weeks he's really gone downhill. He's very driven by throwing toys and we can't even do that now. :( We're making him as comfortable as possible, hoping these medications make him more comfortable.

Top Bottom
1 2