Any Boat Owners?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Outboard. The E18 has a 90 standard Yamaha 4-stroke, then an option for a 115 Yamaha, and a top-of-the-line factory option for a 115 Yamaha Pro XS.

Knowing my love for performance cars, you can probably guess the motor option I'd choose :D Plus, it doesn't add much cost, very little weight difference, etc., at the point you're spending X it doesn't really make a difference.

Good choice. I will never own another I/O. Too much trouble for a little bit of aesthetics.

But with the move to the desert owning another boat is way down the list of probabilities.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This would be for just knocking around in the intracoastal, maybe a short trip to a lake, the hull design on the Element isn't a very deep V, so it's not designed to handle a lot of chop, but to plane easy, handle pretty good, have decent deck space.

I really like how the rear swim decks are setup, this is with a full tow config:

1660744758707.png

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Outboard. The E18 has a 90 standard Yamaha 4-stroke, then an option for a 115 Yamaha, and a top-of-the-line factory option for a 115 Yamaha Pro XS.

Knowing my love for performance cars, you can probably guess the motor option I'd choose :D Plus, it doesn't add much cost, very little weight difference, etc., at the point you're spending X it doesn't really make a difference.

Outboard is definitely the way to go. You hardly see any newer boats with them. Despite outboards being compact they’re much easier to work on considering you can easily remove the entire unit and fix it on land, rather than crawling into an engine bay. Probably less of a concern since it sounds like you’ll be trailering the boat, but the latter point still stands. Plus outboards tend to be substantially more fuel efficient. Less drag, fuel less weight, etc. I suppose the biggest con in your situation is just how expensive they are.

My dad’s last boat had dual 4 stroke Yamaha 150’s IIRC. They were great engines and besides routine maintenance ran flawlessly.

My grandfather recently died and now we are trying to get rid of his boat. I believe it’s an mid-90’s Four Winns somewhere around 20ft bow rider with an V8 I/O. It was hardly ever used. I have no interest in keeping it. We’re trying to give it away to his GF’s son who is the only person who used it in the past 10+ years but he only wants it if we’ll keep it my grandfather’s beach house which we are keeping. But I don’t really want to deal with that. I can’t imagine it’s worth more than like $10k. If we don’t work out a deal with this guy @D.T. you’re more than welcome to drive up to RI and take it away if you want it.

He also left behind his 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 manual with 46,000 miles in remarkable condition. Probably the lowest mileage Tacoma in the world of that vintage. That will staying in the family but I’m so curious to see what that would fetch at auction.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hmmm ...

1660756990577.png

:LOL:

It'll be nice - assuming this is a thing we do - starting with a brand new boat. The last one was low use, low hours, I want to say an early 2000s, but without having been used, and having a lot of old wiring, gaskets, hydraulics, etc., it was always something, plus a dated motor design. The new Yamaha, Honda, Mercury motors are just buttery smooth.

That Tacoma is nuts, that mix of age + mileage, it would probably fetch a shocking amount. I hit a couple of car sites, and 2002s with 125K-175K miles are listed for $10K - $15K o_O

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hmmm ...

View attachment 16818

:LOL:

It'll be nice - assuming this is a thing we do - starting with a brand new boat. The last one was low use, low hours, I want to say an early 2000s, but without having been used, and having a lot of old wiring, gaskets, hydraulics, etc., it was always something, plus a dated motor design. The new Yamaha, Honda, Mercury motors are just buttery smooth.

That Tacoma is nuts, that mix of age + mileage, it would probably fetch a shocking amount. I hit a couple of car sites, and 2002s with 125K-175K miles are listed for $10K - $15K o_O

Yeah, I don’t blame you for wanting a newer boat. There’s a lot that can go wrong and it’s inevitably an expensive PITA to fix. That’s part of the reason I’d prefer to give it away than sell it. Despite my grandfathers obsessive maintenance philosophy, the thing was probably used at most 1-2x a year and probably not in the past 1-2 years, who knows what will happen if it actually gets some routine use.

There was a similar 4Runner on C&B with under 30k that sold for $26k a while back. Every Taco from that era either have 200k and/or are completely trashed. So this is a diamond in the rough. I took it to the dealer a couple weekends ago and the service manager was shocked.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Looks like in the same price area, a Tahoe T18 is a better option. The '23 models have a nice integrated LCD touch screen for instrumentation, better steering, really nice finish in the storage bins (smooth gel vs. unfinished fiberglass, a nice step through design from the rear, dive decks, nice trailer (galvanised and powder coated), a lot of the same, a 115HP Yamaha XS as the TOTL engine option.

But the biggest difference: the Tahoe has a deeper V-hull vs. the M-hull in the Element, the latter will lead to a decent amount of bounce in small chop, and be a little less nimble on hard turns.

1660860099104.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I can't believe how excited the daughter is about this possible-but-likely purchase. I think her early memories were informed by spending a lot of time with our friends on their boat, or down in The Keys on a boat just about every day.

I'm in don't-care--whatever-it-takes mode, I want her to have this opportunity, I mean it's not like we'll always be able to own one, or I'll be able to manage one, or be around or whatever, just seems like perfect timing.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I can't believe how excited the daughter is about this possible-but-likely purchase. I think her early memories were informed by spending a lot of time with our friends on their boat, or down in The Keys on a boat just about every day.

I'm in don't-care--whatever-it-takes mode, I want her to have this opportunity, I mean it's not like we'll always be able to own one, or I'll be able to manage one, or be around or whatever, just seems like perfect timing.

I have always been a big proponent of providing experiences & memories for kids vs "stuff", but in this case, the stuff leads to experiences and memories. :)

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

IIRC you’re daughter is still a ways off from being a teenager? 7-10 years old? Seems like a great age where she is old enough to be able to remember and value the experience spent with her family and friends out on the water. While still young enough not to consumed with may of the social, academic, and extra-curricular obligations that come about in one’s teenage years. I have fond memories spending time on the water, fishing in Long Island Sound, with my dad, uncle, siblings, and cousins.

I’m getting to the point in life where I need to figure out my work-life balance. I literally work like 60-70hrs a week between my normal job and my other business. My wife only relatively recently wrapped up her cardiology qualifications and is working office hours in private practice. While I enjoy my work, I would like to have some more personal time and enjoy the fruits of my labor. The conundrum is find myself in is wanting to invest in a boat but realizing I have such little time to actually use it.

A few weeks ago I looked at a Catalina 35… much more of a coastal cruiser/weekend sailing type boat. While not a blue water boat, it’s a lot less complicated and easier to maintain- not to mention a fraction of the price. It has a lot of features we like except I’d probably like something a little more performance if we’re going for a weekend type boat. That said, the size is a quite bit more manageable without sacrificing too much in terms of comfort.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@AG_PhamD

She's 14 and started high school this year, 9th grade. o_O But she still wants to hang out with us :) Her academics are tough, she's got college credit courses, including Chemistry, Algebra II, she's already in a couple of clubs (today is Astronomy), but we want to make sure she has balance as well (that's why last year we even took off a few days over the year, not an actual school holiday, no reason other than to have a long weekend).

Definitely start sooner than later, engineering a future that's less work, more time for life, it sneaks up on you!

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
@AG_PhamD

She's 14 and started high school this year, 9th grade. o_O But she still wants to hang out with us :) Her academics are tough, she's got college credit courses, including Chemistry, Algebra II, she's already in a couple of clubs (today is Astronomy), but we want to make sure she has balance as well (that's why last year we even took off a few days over the year, not an actual school holiday, no reason other than to have a long weekend).

Definitely start sooner than later, engineering a future that's less work, more time for life, it sneaks up on you!

I guess I was totally off haha- I was thinking more like 10 minutes years old. But there’s still plenty of time at 14 as opposed to say, 18. Though I’m sure 18 will be here before you know it. That’s awesome your daughter still wants to hang out with her Dad. I think that speaks to her level of advanced maturity.

I’m definitely in agreement with @Huntn, it’s best to invest in experiences rather than “stuff” (unless that “stuff” is a means to creating experiences).

My wife and I are definitely at that point where we’re thinking a lot about our future. I wouldn’t say we’re running out of time to have kids, but we’re definitely not getting any younger. She only recently wrapped up her cardiology qualifications and landed her “first job” (as I call it) working office hours in a private practice. If we do have kids we’d prefer to be in a position where our lives don’t revolve entirely around our careers.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I guess I was totally off haha- I was thinking more like 10 minutes years old. But there’s still plenty of time at 14 as opposed to say, 18. Though I’m sure 18 will be here before you know it. That’s awesome your daughter still wants to hang out with her Dad. I think that speaks to her level of advanced maturity.

I’m definitely in agreement with @Huntn, it’s best to invest in experiences rather than “stuff” (unless that “stuff” is a means to creating experiences).

My wife and I are definitely at that point where we’re thinking a lot about our future. I wouldn’t say we’re running out of time to have kids, but we’re definitely not getting any younger. She only recently wrapped up her cardiology qualifications and landed her “first job” (as I call it) working office hours in a private practice. If we do have kids we’d prefer to be in a position where our lives don’t revolve entirely around our careers.

Yeah, if you read some of my recent posts, I've talked specifically about the next 4 years, her 14-18/9-12th grade, taking a move off the table, making use of this beautiful location, because when she graduates, that's probably the time to downsize, really rethink things.

We've been purging "stuff" for some time now, simplifying things too, even when I went from AVR/speakers/amps/etc., to a Sonos, that was partially to make it simpler, reduce the footprint. Hahaha, I get that a boat is adding a thing, that requires effort, maintenance - but, it's to facilitate experience.

I believe I was a decent amount older than you are now, when we had our first-and-only. The downside is being older, but we timed it pretty good, like I won't quite have one foot in the grave when she would start college :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You’ve heard the joke about the best two days of your life? :D

I’ve considered, but never owned a boat. Imo, the only viable option Imo is to have a boat sitting outback, tied to your dock, or very close by sitting in the water, waiting to be hopped in and taking off in it. No trailers required.

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’ve considered, but never owned a boat. Imo, the only viable option Imo is to have a boat sitting outback, on your dock, or very close by sitting in the water, waiting to be hopped in and taking off in it. No trailers required.
Yes, the trailer thing is an extra level of drama I haven't had to mess with. I've heard it can be a good time to set up a camping chair with a few drinks near a boat launch on a busy day; watch the hijinks play out.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Hahaha, well, that can definitely be the case for some, maybe even many!

This would be my 3rd, my Dad had two (my first was his last), there are a lot of people who buy a boat, that shouldn't own a boat :D

Yes, the trailer thing is an extra level of drama I haven't had to mess with. I've heard it can be a good time to set up a camping chair with a few drinks near a boat launch on a busy day; watch the hijinks play out.

It can be for sure, and some people can't even grasp backing up a trailer ("Wait, so it goes the opposite way I turn?!?!" :D) There's a lot of folks who are towing too much / using a severely underspec'ed vehicle, are dealing with poorly maintained ramp (or a really difficult ramp with a steep incline, bad dock access), or they boat 2-3 times a year, never get the flow.

Seriously the guy across the street, can come home, hitch up, get down the ramp, launch, park and almost beat me in my car to the bridge 2 miles away :ROFLMAO:

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you read some of my recent posts, I've talked specifically about the next 4 years, her 14-18/9-12th grade, taking a move off the table, making use of this beautiful location, because when she graduates, that's probably the time to downsize, really rethink things.

We've been purging "stuff" for some time now, simplifying things too, even when I went from AVR/speakers/amps/etc., to a Sonos, that was partially to make it simpler, reduce the footprint. Hahaha, I get that a boat is adding a thing, that requires effort, maintenance - but, it's to facilitate experience.

I believe I was a decent amount older than you are now, when we had our first-and-only. The downside is being older, but we timed it pretty good, like I won't quite have one foot in the grave when she would start college :D

Yeah, I haven’t seen those posts but I have seen your pictures. You are in a beautiful spot. Where are you looking to move. Moving a kid in high school (assuming to another district) isn’t the easiest task. As someone who went from private Jewish day school until 8th grade, to public school for the first 2 years of HS, to a prep school for the last 2, it’s not the best experience. Granted I lived in the same town the entire time so I knew plenty of my classmates at the public school via other means and when I went to private school I knew some people there, so it was a relatively smooth transition.

Well, I’m almost 35. My wife is a year younger. 36+ is considered a “geriatric pregnancy”. Granted births between 35-40 are quite common now and even women birthing in their 40’s is more common than ever. Obviously older the mother is the higher the risk, but many of those are manageable. My wife is in excellent health and manages to run 4 miles per everyday, so that can’t hurt our chances. I can’t imagine being 60 when my kid is 20, but I also can’t imagine having a kid in the near future either. I still feel like I’m 16 years old half the time (and 21 the other half haha). When I was in second grade (age 8?) there was a kid in my class whose dad was 66! I assume his mother was considerably younger. Chances are by this point he’s no longer with us. I can’t imagine not having a father in my early-mid 20’s (or similarly not being there for my kid in his/her 20’s).

I’ve considered, but never owned a boat. Imo, the only viable option Imo is to have a boat sitting outback, on your dock, or very close by sitting in the water, waiting to be hopped in and taking off in it. No trailers required.

Boat trailering sucks but it sure makes maintaining it much, much easier. Especially if you’re in a warm water climate where crap grows quickly on the hull. Not also having to spend a boatload (no pun intended) and deal with the logistics for a haul out every time you need to deal with something on the bottom of the boat is also nice.

What’s cool are those boat lifts people have at their docks where they can easily hoist the boat out of the water when they’re not in use.

I imagine there are some size/weight/boat style limitations, frankly I’ve never seen such a large boat like picture #3 below. I can’t imagine these are cheap but probably pay for themselves avoiding the hassle of towing and boat ramps not to mention maintenance.

1661306233599.jpeg

1661306136855.jpeg

1661306158138.jpeg

Or if you really have an unlimited budget you could be like the Coast Guard in the UK with one of these slipways to launch and retrieve your 54ft boat:
1661306491844.jpeg

1661306669656.jpeg

Here you don’t even have to worry about your boat being rained on, birds pooping on it, UV damage, lightening strikes, floods, hurricanes, rodents, theft, seals sleeping on your swim platform, etc.

Speaking of which, my dad’s boat was in the water at a marina leading up to Hurricane Sandy (on the CT coast, bordering RI, directly across the sound from Montauk, Long Island- in proximity to CT’s Submarine base). As you may recall, Sandy decimated NYC. So when it became apparent Sandy was heading directly for the area, my dad called up the marina to haul the boat out… along with everyone else along the NY/CT/RI coast. He was told the cranes/hoists were completely booked, they were working OT to get as many boats out, and they’d be unlikely to accommodate him. Plus they were running out of space to even put boats on their property.

So my dad tied up the boat extra well and crossed his fingers. It turns out despite the largest hurricane to hit the northeast in history (and I assume the most damaging and deadly), his boat survived just fine- not so much as a scratch. Meanwhile, some of the boats on land propped up on jack stands and wooden braces blew over, creating a domino effect of boats falling on top of another, damaging dozens of boats.

I suppose the lesson is that being on land isn’t necessarily safer 😁

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I haven’t seen those posts but I have seen your pictures. You are in a beautiful spot. Where are you looking to move. Moving a kid in high school (assuming to another district) isn’t the easiest task. As someone who went from private Jewish day school until 8th grade, to public school for the first 2 years of HS, to a prep school for the last 2, it’s not the best experience. Granted I lived in the same town the entire time so I knew plenty of my classmates at the public school via other means and when I went to private school I knew some people there, so it was a relatively smooth transition.

Oh, we knocked around some cities, Pittsburgh (wife's hometown/still have family there), up on Mount Washington, some beautiful condos that overlook the city, the DC area, where as I'm sure you know, a $1 doesn't go very far (in terms of housing), but moving her would've been difficult, she's very aware too, we've had these conversations with her, she's in the same place we are: let's make use of our current circumstances, finish school with the people she started with, and just re-evaluate everything in 4 years.

Well, I’m almost 35. My wife is a year younger. 36+ is considered a “geriatric pregnancy”. Granted births between 35-40 are quite common now and even women birthing in their 40’s is more common than ever. Obviously older the mother is the higher the risk, but many of those are manageable. My wife is in excellent health and manages to run 4 miles per everyday, so that can’t hurt our chances. I can’t imagine being 60 when my kid is 20, but I also can’t imagine having a kid in the near future either. I still feel like I’m 16 years old half the time (and 21 the other half haha). When I was in second grade (age 8?) there was a kid in my class whose dad was 66! I assume his mother was considerably younger. Chances are by this point he’s no longer with us. I can’t imagine not having a father in my early-mid 20’s (or similarly not being there for my kid in his/her 20’s).

OK, that's actually right around the same age we said, "Let's do this" :D

I totally get the age thing, i.e., 15 mentally, 50 chronologically and 75 physically ... :ROFLMAO:

Boat trailering sucks but it sure makes maintaining it much, much easier. Especially if you’re in a warm water climate where crap grows quickly on the hull. Not also having to spend a boatload (no pun intended) and deal with the logistics for a haul out every time you need to deal with something on the bottom of the boat is also nice.

Well, now I need a Rivian R1T, so I can do this ... :oops:

Top Bottom
1 2