Apple to support RCS

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple announced it will add support for RCS messaging next year. They are treating it the same way they now treat SMS/MMS: it will be a secondary messaging protocol for use when the person on the other side of your text is not using an Apple device. No indication if it will get a new bubble color (though I’d bet a lot of money these messages won’t be blue). SMS/MMS will still be available as a fallback.

It will not support end-to-end encryption until such time as that is added to the RCS standard.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Apple confirms bubbles will be green. So the main difference will be you can send (and receive) bigger messages and media, get typing indicators, delivery confirmations, etc. with green-bubbled people (so long as they are on a device that supports RCS). Eventually the main difference will be that iMessage is end-to-end encrypted while green-bubbles will not be (at least until the standard incorporates it - Apple has no plans to support Google’s proprietary extensions).

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think all the groups chats I am a member of, where we have a mix of Apple and Android, have moved to Signal.

Top Bottom
1 2