Atari acquires Intellivision

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

When I was 10, this would have been huge news in Mrs. Stein’s homeroom.

Altaic

Power User
Reaction score

When I was 10, this would have been huge news in Mrs. Stein’s homeroom.
I don’t know what to make of this… I guess retro games are back again? That’s cool.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Whoa...I had forgotten about Atari (apparently now a French company). A blast from the past, and a pioneer in gaming, started by entrepreneur Nolan Bushnell who setup the company in Sunnyvale, CA.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's like a battle of the late 70s all over again. This smacks like an April Fools joke.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
As many have probably guessed, the modern entity called Atari has little real continuity with the original Atari thanks to a bunch of M&A nonsense. When Atari's last console (the Jaguar) flopped, there was little hope of recovery. Jack Tramiel sold Atari's assets to JTS, a failing hard drive manufacturer which didn't care at all about games, they just wanted the shell of an existing public company to reverse merge with in order to get listed on stock markets without going through an IPO. JTS laid off more or less everyone, and later sold the Atari name and IP rights on to Hasbro.

In turn, the reason it's a French company now is that Infogrames, a French game publisher, bought the brand from Hasbro to sell some of its games under, and later decided to rename itself to Atari.

I'd give good odds that Intellivision is much the same, except it's probably been a famous name being used by other organizations even longer than Atari.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an Atari 2600, standard issue for 80s middle class households. I felt like richer kids had Intellivisions. They never made the same splash as the Ataris but then Colecovision came out and blew my mind with the Donkey Kong graphics. I had to go over to other kid’s houses to play that, as my father would be damned if he was going to buy another console.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
As many have probably guessed, the modern entity called Atari has little real continuity with the original Atari thanks to a bunch of M&A nonsense. When Atari's last console (the Jaguar) flopped, there was little hope of recovery. Jack Tramiel sold Atari's assets to JTS, a failing hard drive manufacturer which didn't care at all about games, they just wanted the shell of an existing public company to reverse merge with in order to get listed on stock markets without going through an IPO. JTS laid off more or less everyone, and later sold the Atari name and IP rights on to Hasbro.

In turn, the reason it's a French company now is that Infogrames, a French game publisher, bought the brand from Hasbro to sell some of its games under, and later decided to rename itself to Atari.

I'd give good odds that Intellivision is much the same, except it's probably been a famous name being used by other organizations even longer than Atari.
The intellivision story is even crazier. There’s this thing called the amico, and I’ve probably watched 50 hours of YouTube videos about that scam.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We know that Atari was around in 2019

119-1190979_blade-runner-city-wallpaper-4k.jpg

(I failed to notice that Rutger Hauer died the same year as Roy Batty)

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
We know that Atari was around in 2019

A lot of „future“ movies also reference PanAm…

I recalled that Atari belonged to Hasbro, but I apparently forgot that they sold the brand again.
As Mr_Robtoo noted, Atari is just a name now (based on an opening movie in Go, IIRC), and has nothing to do with the original company.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A lot of „future“ movies also reference PanAm…

I recalled that Atari belonged to Hasbro, but I apparently forgot that they sold the brand again.
As Mr_Robtoo noted, Atari is just a name now (based on an opening movie in Go, IIRC), and has nothing to do with the original company.
they’ve produced some interesting little retro consoles lately. also some crap. But there’s a little renaissance going on with them now among the retro gaming community.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
The intellivision story is even crazier. There’s this thing called the amico, and I’ve probably watched 50 hours of YouTube videos about that scam.
Oh, right! I learned about Amico by watching hbomberguy's video about the Roblox OOF sound, but had forgotten about it because it's only kind of a side-story to the main topic, and I didn't go looking for other Amico content.

(If you like rabbit hole videos I do recommend watching that one. Just be prepared, it's 2 hours long. The story goes places!)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, right! I learned about Amico by watching hbomberguy's video about the Roblox OOF sound, but had forgotten about it because it's only kind of a side-story to the main topic, and I didn't go looking for other Amico content.

(If you like rabbit hole videos I do recommend watching that one. Just be prepared, it's 2 hours long. The story goes places!)
yeah that guy is quite a character.

Top Bottom
1 2