COVID Test/Testing & Vaccine Availability

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Even though I ordered early-on, there is no sign of mine yet! Fortunately I am not in a hurry, as no recent exposures (of which I'm aware, anyway). There is also something else that I am expecting in the mail which hasn't arrived either, so I'm guessing that it, too, will arrive early in the next week or so. Some of my neighbors have already received theirs while others of us haven't yet. You just never know with the USPS.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ordered for our house in NYC and apartment in Virginia. Nothing in VA. In-laws didn’t mention receiving tests in NYC.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
To some degree that’s true, however even if everyone got their vaccine as soon as possible, I suspect we’d very much still be in the same boat. Remember that boosters were not authorized until November 19th or 20th. Omicron hit the news November 24th. While having a bunch of eligible people still un-boosted at this time (seniors, immuncompromised, healthcare providers) definitely adds to the demand unnecessarily, the overwhelming bulk of the population eligible were not beforehand.

A lot more could have been done to inform people of boosters and eligibility times. I came across countless seniors who got the J&J and had no idea they were due for a booster after just 2 months. Plus there is a complete lack of knowledge around the acceptability of mixing and matching vaccines. Tons of resources went into pushing vaccines, by comparison very little went into pushing boosters. At least around here.

Sure, resources are limited, but it depends what we’re talking about. In terms of vaccines, we have so many stockpiled that millions are at risk of expiring and being dumped. The problem there is vaccination sites. My state and many others took down temporary mass vax sites long ago. Thats fine considering they were no longer really needed, but they should have the ability to go back into place within a couple weeks.

I think most would agree testing has never got quite to where it needs to be and is certainly lacking compared the countries doing it best. At the point, the issue is less about the lack of physical infrastructure (machines, processing labs) and more about the collection infrastructure. Not to mention now on-site, rapid PCR is far more common.

As for rapid tests, this goes hand in hand with the lack of testing in this country. The cost issue should have been addressed long ago. Insurance reimbursement is the right thing to do, but not via manual claims reimbursement. That’s too time energy/consuming for what it is, too much opportunity for claims not to be paid, and doesn’t sold the cost issue if it takes 2 months to get reimbursed. More tests would be demanded if the price was there. Companies are reluctant to make more despite having the capacity over fear they won’t be purchased (like with H1N1). And by the time the govt sets up their mail order test program, this wave will probably be over with.

Both test sample collection and vaccination are not rocket science and do not require medical degrees. Many of the people giving vaccines at mass vaccination sites were nursing students and EMTs. The government could spend 2hrs training natural guardsmem/women and deploy them as needed with a medical practitioner supervising each site. Sites could then easily be scaled up and down as needed.

My question is in that month of travel bans to create time to respond, other than sitting around for more data to come in what was the government doing to prepare? It’s much like what happened prior to the first wave. It wasn’t until the virus hit hard everyone started scrambling to source more ventilators and more PPE.

Sure, we cannot predict the future. New strains were likely to occur. A Christmas wave was inevitable. We need to learn how to be flexible and adaptive as the threat evolves and fluctuates.
To some degree that’s true, however even if everyone got their vaccine as soon as possible, I suspect we’d very much still be in the same boat

I disagree. If we (95%) had enthusiastically embraced the horrible inconvenience of wearing masks :rolleyes: and flocked to get our shots, we’d be way ahead of where we are. The reason it has been drawn out for so long is in part because of My Libertay to be a Stupid Selfish Ass, and sinister politicians who purposely placed doubts and false reasons for distrust in their Koolaid drinkers’ brains. Now we are asked to wear masks to protect the dummies who are perpetuating this pandemic. :unsure:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
To some degree that’s true, however even if everyone got their vaccine as soon as possible, I suspect we’d very much still be in the same boat

I disagree. If we (95%) had enthusiastically embraced the horrible inconvenience of wearing masks :rolleyes: and flocked to get our shots, we’d be way ahead of where we are. The reason it has been drawn out for so long is in part because of My Libertay to be a Stupid Selfish Ass, and sinister politicians who purposely placed doubts and false reasons for distrust in their Koolaid drinkers’ brains. Now we are asked to wear masks to protect the dummies who are perpetuating this pandemic. :unsure:
We would definitely NOT be in the same boat. A simple look at the statistics from nations with higher vaccination rates tell us that. Look at Canada for example: 78% fully vaccinated, 85% partially. 879 deaths for every 1 million people. America: 64% fully vaccinated, 76% partially… 2,715 deaths per 1 million people. At the beginning, everybody said “herd immunity” would be somewhere above 75%. Canada is slightly above that and has 1/3 the death rate. So preventing deaths was (and still is) totally feasible. We just have millions of people in America that bought the anti-vaccine lies from Trump and associates.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We would definitely NOT be in the same boat. A simple look at the statistics from nations with higher vaccination rates tell us that. Look at Canada for example: 78% fully vaccinated, 85% partially. 879 deaths for every 1 million people. America: 64% fully vaccinated, 76% partially… 2,715 deaths per 1 million people. At the beginning, everybody said “herd immunity” would be somewhere above 75%. Canada is slightly above that and has 1/3 the death rate. So preventing deaths was (and still is) totally feasible. We just have millions of people in America that bought the anti-vaccine lies from Trump and associates.
It seems almost impossible to discuss COVID without someone inserting their political screws, and what I mean is misinformation or false spin even if it is subtle. It can’t be claimed that politics has no place in the discussion because it certainly does when one of our major parties has dirty hands when it comes to the mess we have experienced. My only wish is when politics are discussed associated with the pandemic, political discussion focuses on an accurate portrayal of the missteps and manipulations, not making equivalence arguments.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Even though I ordered early-on, there is no sign of mine yet! Fortunately I am not in a hurry, as no recent exposures (of which I'm aware, anyway). There is also something else that I am expecting in the mail which hasn't arrived either, so I'm guessing that it, too, will arrive early in the next week or so. Some of my neighbors have already received theirs while others of us haven't yet. You just never know with the USPS.
I seem to be in the same boat. Ordered early but there doesn’t seem to be any sign of them showing up.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
my daughter who is not even am ill away but a different county ordered hers a few minutes before me but I got ours. today,

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
My sister in Colorado apparently got a message today she’ll be receiving them soon. That’s the only person I know of though that’s received any communication.

I would imagine they’re prioritizing test shipments to skew towards areas with high case loads and probably zip codes with lower incomes. Generally speaking the further west you go the higher the rate of cases at the moment.

A few days ago I saw tests back on the shelves at CVS which is a good sign… still $24 for Abbott and $10 for FlowFlex which is far higher than it should be, even if private insurance is forced to cover it.
Thankfully Massachusetts cases have been dropping precipitously as have hospitalizations. The state is encouraging colleges to start winding down the more oppressive COVID restrictions and start moving back towards “normal” life.

————
Testing related PSA:

Empowered Diagnostics is recalling their CovClear COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test and ImmunoPass COVID-19 Neutralizing Antibody Rapid Test “due to concerns of false positive and false negative results” which apparently is code for “selling tests that say they are FDA authorized but aren’t and getting caught”.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I am still waiting for mine, plus a couple of other things..... Mail has slowed down, of course, and in this already congested area, having extra stuff to deliver (COVID tests, end-of-year statements for Income Tax purposes, etc.) it definitely seems to be delayed. Weather hasn't helped much, either.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
My coworker lives in the same neighborhood as me and was quick to sign up for the free test kits on the first day available. He got his test kits yesterday, Abbott brand. He’s the only person I know in the area that’s received them.

Interestingly, of the few cases of people I’ve heard of people getting these tests, the majority seem to be in affluent areas. Maybe there’s some bias in that observation, but I’m not the only one who has noticed this. I’m curious how distribution is determined.

Tests have been back on the shelves for quite some time so it’s kind of silly at this point, except for people who would otherwise have trouble affording to buy the tests.

Top Bottom
1 2