DC Movie Universe

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I canNOT say I saw this coming, but it's an interesting development...

Misha Green is reuniting with her Lovecraft Country co-star Jurnee Smollett for a DC movie project featuring heroine Black Canary, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The project, which is in early development at HBO Max, is a spinoff from Warner Bros.’s 2020 DC movie Birds of Prey which featured characters Harley Quinn, the Huntress, and Cassandra Cain. Also in the cast of heroes was Canary, played by Smollett.

Green will write the script for the feature, with Smollett due to reprise her role. Sur Kroll, who produced Prey, will produce Canary.

Prey was not a strong performer at the box office — it grossed only $201.8 million worldwide when released in Feb. 5, 2020 — but did generate fan interest and had actors who were game to play.

No take on the story was revealed, however Canary is one of DC’s long-standing characters, having been created in the late 1940s. Since the 1960s, she has been associated mostly with Green Arrow and is known for her ear-splitting canary cry.

Canary now joins a growing stable of HBO Max movies centered on DC characters such as Batgirl and Blue Beetle, as well as a series focused on a Black Superman.

Green became one of the hottest creators in town thanks to Lovecraft, which became a buzzy and envelope-pushing series for HBO. When a second season was nixed, Green found plenty of other work, including The Mother, an action thriller starring Jennifer Lopez now in pre-production at Netflix, and significantly a Tomb Raider movie project that she will write and on which she make her feature directorial debut.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yeah, it is surprising, given that the first didn’t do that great. Based on that, though, it’s not surprising that it seems like it’s gonna be one of DC’s HBOMax-only releases. Sounds about right. Hopefully they’ll come up with a better script.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I think I watched the 2016 version and did not like it. 👀 After Guardians of the Galaxy, for James Gun , this sounds like an artistic direction, one, I probably won’t like. Wait a second, I remember Harley Quinn, (how can you not remember her :)) but don’t remember if it is from 2016 Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey.

See I love both Guardians movies and tried TSS BECAUSE he directed it. Have watched half and not sure I will finish it. As for the 3rd Guardians, if make it an Avengers movie with a few of the Guardians, I won't be watching it.

==================================

Still waiting for Top Gun. Hope it doesn't get delayed again. I remember the first one and how it made everyone want to be a fighter pilot. In fact my roommate became one, but for the Air Force.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
See I love both Guardians movies and tried TSS BECAUSE he directed it. Have watched half and not sure I will finish it. As for the 3rd Guardians, if make it an Avengers movie with a few of the Guardians, I won't be watching it.

Still waiting for Top Gun. Hope it doesn't get delayed again. I remember the first one and how it made everyone want to be a fighter pilot. In fact my roommate became one, but for the Air Force.
I consider Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2 to be the cream of the Marvel crop, completely stand on their own, while fitting nicely into the Marvel master plan, the Infinity Stone Saga, along with the original Thor, Ragnarok, Ant Man and Captain Marvel.

The Infinity Stone Saga is one of the greatest achievements in film lore to have this many movies tied together in one huge story arc. It’s kind of amazing, and amazingly successful at the box office.

On the other hand, TSS is a competently made movie, I just don’t care for the artistic/story choices made, I think to set it apart, carve out a different niche from Marvel, while observing that all of the Marvel made movies are better, more entertaining stories IMO. Compare TSS to Avengers: Age of Ultron, two similar stories, the latter kicks it‘s butt imo.

I can see some interest in coercing a group of super villains together to take care of a nasty situation, it’s the dark side where an R rating is not a surprise, where you have to show a penis (although you might actually miss that if not paying close attention ;)) and have a why bother sex scene (failure to commit ;)) In some ways it reminds me of The Boys*, which ultimately was too dark for my continued enjoyment.

*Another DC Comic product- Based on the comic book of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, which was originally published by DC Comicsunder their Wildstorm imprint before moving to Dynamite Entertainment; it follows the eponymous team of vigilantes as they combat superpowered individuals who abuse their abilities.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
"Batman: The Long Halloween, Part 1" and "Batman: The Long Halloween, Part 2" have been released on HBOMax.

Yes, it's actually a story told across two movies, although they weren't released quite as far apart as "Kill Bill" parts 1 & 2.

The story involves a killer who commits murders on holidays, beginning with Halloween and continuing through Thanksgiving, Christmas and beyond. The art is quite good, the music captures Batman's melancholy existence perfectly, and I doubt anyone will guess the killer's identity.

Catwoman is voiced by Naya Rivera. There is an end dedication to her. Sadly, she's the actress/singer who drowned in a lake while saving her child last year.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. Feel free to skip The Rock’s self-promotion but I like some of the characters they’re throwing in.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
More about the dumpster fire called the DCEU (DC Extended Universe??? WTF? Even the name sucks.)

DC Comics always appealed to me way more than Marvel. But when it comes to the movies, DC is just horrible lately.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
More about the dumpster fire called the DCEU (DC Extended Universe??? WTF? Even the name sucks.)

DC Comics always appealed to me way more than Marvel. But when it comes to the movies, DC is just horrible lately.
I blame Man of Steel for sending it all in the wrong direction and they never recovered really. Ought to be a special jail for directors that make a joyless Superman film.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of the Guardians movies as well. Great combination of humor, action, and suspense. Rocket trying to get Groot to understand what buttons not to push was brilliantly funny.

Another aircraft carrier movie I enjoyed as much as Top Gun was The Final Countdown. It still holds up today.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

The article title is a way more cool version of what's going on.

Basically Discovery brought WB and it wasn't cheap. An important part of making this all work and not getting dragged down like AOL, is seen as the DC movies. The new overlord there is looking for their own 'Kevin Feige', which to me as an admission you're still chasing the leader. DC I thought was making a nice course correction in NOT following Marvel, and instead just making good super hero movies that sell. Understandably though the new boss sees there isn't a major Superman franchise that leads to a Justice League, and sees that as money left on the table. At the same time though, they like the success of Joker which was completely independent of a DC universe.

It's fun watching James Gunn flirt with the Snyder Bro universe, without having to espouse the philosophy of Ayn Rand thru super heroics. If anything he completely deflates it with Peacemaker. Although it was weird having a collection of villains in Suicide Squad & no heroes in movies having caught them, but it didn't take away from the enjoyment. It's for the best though because the Snyder verse to me was...

Flagg: "Twelve pounds of shit in a 10 pound bag"

How I see the Snyder films
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1513911001774706701/
More concerned on his own personal take, than the actual characters themselves.

So the new guy in charge wants a 'Kevin Feige' of their own to begin using Superman & the sorts to generate greater returns. It runs the danger of botching a good thing already started, that has generated greater returns with Wonder Woman & now Batman. The other points of "the Big Three" of DC comics. This insistence to chase Marvel isn't guaranteed to bring success. You can always ask Sony who really can't get can't the same success without Marvel's help, as Morbius can testify to.

I'm hoping they don't obsess with some grand DC interconnected movie universe. Instead skating around the edges like Shazam & Suicide Squad did, waiting until they have something really mind blowing to bring it together as a true major film event. As it is now, some people of DC comics are reading tea leaves AGAIN since they got moved from NY to California. To having offices, to now having basically "shared workspaces". DC comics has been going thru some "interesting times".

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@JayMysteri0

Didn't want to start a whole thread, figured this was a decent place to post this - and holy shit, really?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
For the "non-Comic" folks, if you read just one (well, as a compiled graphic novel, it was originally 13 issues), I'd so very highly recommend, Batman: The Long Halloween with Tim Sales providing spectacular artwork and easily of one of the top N best comic stories ever, written by Jeph Loeb.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

I like Cavill as Superman but this is probably for the best. I’ve read Black Adam underperformed and I’d speculate James Gunn would stop the upcoming Flash and Aquaman films if it made sense but it’s probably too late.

Snyder and DC screwed the pooch on the whole. Best to wipe it clean and start over.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

Rachel Brosnahan as Lois is fantastic casting. Not familiar with the Superman actor.

Top Bottom
1 2