DJI Drone Ban passes US House, heading to Senate as part of the National Defense Authorization Act.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Solutions
Main Camera
Sony
Instagram
Bummed about this as it's gone from a hobby to a job using DJI products. Long and short of it is we're all freaked out about China. Surprisingly, all discussion around this in the community puts politics aside, neither side wants it and has been united in its opposition.

I have been very happy with the performance of my Autel.

I have not been happy with the way the company EOL’s its products.

I have been very happy with the performance of my Autel.

I have not been happy with the way the company EOL’s its products.
Well, both tend to be pretty abrupt with EOL and I agree that it can be frustrating. However, Autel will also be banned as part of this bill as they're made in China too. Unfortunately, no American company can come close to being as advanced and those it will hurt most are law enforcement and search and rescue, who have been the most vocal in its opposition, along with farmers who use them for agriculture.

It's astonishing that a whole market can be shut down just like that. I get that the CCP could be up to some nefarious security-related stuff. But not having a Plan B to step up and serve the US drone community is head-shaking. No doubt that's a market Japan could get into, but that'll take years to match DJI's products, with likely higher prices as a result.

This is all news to me... but it apparently relates to DJI "using" (and potentially exploiting) US infrastructure. Presumably US cellular infrastructure isn't used in controlling drones; that leaves GPS being used for determining coordinates. Which is passively received (no DJI transmission to GPS satellites that could disrupt or spoof service).

So what are the US security risks? Do DJI drones use the internet in some manner? Perhaps when you're back home and processing collected video, needing to be done through DJI via internet? I can see some potential issues there.

It's astonishing that a whole market can be shut down just like that. I get that the CCP could be up to some nefarious security-related stuff. But not having a Plan B to step up and serve the US drone community is head-shaking. No doubt that's a market Japan could get into, but that'll take years to match DJI's products, with likely higher prices as a result.

This is all news to me... but it apparently relates to DJI "using" (and potentially exploiting) US infrastructure. Presumably US cellular infrastructure isn't used in controlling drones; that leaves GPS being used for determining coordinates. Which is passively received (no DJI transmission to GPS satellites that could disrupt or spoof service).

So what are the US security risks? Do DJI drones use the internet in some manner? Perhaps when you're back home and processing collected video, needing to be done through DJI via internet? I can see some potential issues there.
When you actually read the legislation it's obvious that they don't know the first thing about drones, their capabilities, nor their purpose. Essentially, they simply see that they're from China and want to ban it for that reason alone. As for collecting video, that's actually a feature that they implemented by demand for sharing mapping data to benefit the community, DJI has subsequently shut that down though.

Back