Fauci - Booster doses of currently available COVID-19 vaccines work against the Omicron variant

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
This is music to our ears right when this thing seems to be spreading like wildfire again. We don't need anything we don't already have, we just need a booster.

That said, there's an awful lot of people around who still haven't gotten their second shot, much less their booster. And that's why we are where we are.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
This is music to our ears right when this thing seems to be spreading like wildfire again. We don't need anything we don't already have, we just need a booster.

That said, there's an awful lot of people around who still haven't gotten their second shot, much less their booster. And that's why we are where we are.

It's true a lot of places have seen spikes recently, and people are being reminded now to mask up in enclosed spaces like malls and stores again. But it does sound like most of the infections are in unvaccinated people.

I do hope the omicron variant isn't "more contagious" in a different way than the others. Remember back when it was unclear whether surface contamination --e.g., of parcels, for instance-- was a big deal or not. Hoping nothing along that line is different with the new variant, because I've really liked not being particularly obsessive about when and how to handle the incoming groceries when Instacart drops them off on the back deck.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Omigosh, yeah. I remember when this thing first started wiping off everything.

Interestingly, when I got groceries earlier this week they asked me if I’d like a free canister of disinfectant wipes. I’m thinking perhaps they overbought earlier in the pandemic and are now anxious to unload excess inventory.

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
My cousin, who is a doctor involved in research directly about or related to Covid, and his wife – also a doctor – who is in a clinic for long-haul Covid cases, sent the family their concerns about omicron last night, including a long article from The Atlantic. It was a very mixed article: good news, bad news, good news, bad news. It seems there is a wide range of opinion and uncertainty over how bad omicron can/will be and how well existing vaccines actually do work. The known omicron cases have largely been identified in younger, healthier, vaccinated patients, so the big concern is what happens when the mutation hits an older/more vulnerable population.

Top Bottom
1 2