Sony

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
More early data, but encouraging.

Pfizer and BioNTech have said a booster jab of their coronavirus vaccine promises to be an effective defence against the new Omicron variant.
Three doses provide a similar level of antibodies against Omicron to that of two doses against other variants, the companies said after a small study.
The World Health Organization (WHO) earlier said vaccines should still work against severe Omicron cases.
Researchers across the world are piecing together data about Omicron.
It is the most heavily mutated version of coronavirus found so far.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Just read on NPR, that a study from South Africa and Germany shows that the vaccines are 40 times less effective with this new strain. Again a ton of conflicting studies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just read on NPR, that a study from South Africa and Germany shows that the vaccines are 40 times less effective with this new strain. Again a ton of conflicting studies.
Could be, this was just reported by Pfizer and the booster only, still with no other peer review data as of yet. However, they have a lot to lose if they're wrong so it's encouraging news.

U

User.45

The issue with early data, is that it’s plagued with significant reporting bias. So generally the initial reporting tends to be more pessimistic. Bear in mind that asymptomatic cases drive this pandemic, and the incidence of those is much harder to evaluate.

In the meantime the strategies have not changed at all, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding unnecessary contact.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The issue with early data, is that it’s plagued with significant reporting bias. So generally the initial reporting tends to be more pessimistic. Bear in mind that asymptomatic cases drive this pandemic, and the incidence of those is much harder to evaluate.

In the meantime the strategies have not changed at all, vaccines, boosters, masks, and avoiding unnecessary contact.

Some of the progressive sources I listen to are talking about how the data is showing this variant is less concerning while the government continues to fearmonger about it. Apparently, nobody in South Africa has needed to be hospitalized because of this variant or has dyed from it.

U

User.45

Some of the progressive sources I listen to are talking about how the data is showing this variant is less concerning while the government continues to fearmonger about it. Apparently, nobody in South Africa has needed to be hospitalized because of this variant or has dyed from it.
I monitor COVID closely as a whole but refuse to dive into Omicron. I got into so much heated debate with people who misinterpreted immature Delta data I'll spend my time more wisely this time around.

Top Bottom
1 2