Finally getting a new iMac best way to move my crap?

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
the last one I got in 2017 was somewhat basic but with a 27" screen. was it like you only have 24 now? got a referb so I could get 16 gigs of memory without the steep cost Apple charges.
I know I can use the time machine to do it I have it on an external SSD drive but for a lot of the apps can you be selective on what it brings in or does it import everything??
I hate upgrading computers since all I get is a faster computer that I do all the same things on.

Last edited:
the last one I got in 2017 was somewhat basic but with the 27" screen. was like you only have 24 now? got a referb so I could get 16 gigs of memory without the steep cost Apple charges.
I know I can use the time machine to do it I have it on an external SSD drive but a lot of the apps I don't want can you be selective on what it brings in?
Congrats on the refurb!

I usually do it by running Migration Assistant with the new Mac connected to a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. Unfortunately, you can’t be selective about which applications you transfer. Depending on how many you want to keep, it’s sometimes better to just reinstall apps after moving data over. It takes longer, but it’s a bit like cleaning house.

If you use that approach, make sure you have all the information you’ll need to reinstall some software (e.g., serial numbers and names). It’s easier with software you bought from the App Store because you can usually reinstall from there.

I’m sure other forum members with more experience than I will have better advice.

ya, I would need a list of apps as I have not installed much in a long time. I was not sure if the time machine let you choose. I take it when I log into my account all my email and stuff will sync over like an iPhone? Just hate spending 1600.00 on a computer as I do so little.

ya, I would need a list of apps as I have not installed much in a long time. I was not sure if the time machine let you choose. I take it when I log into my account all my email and stuff will sync over like an iPhone? Just hate spending 1600.00 on a computer as I do so little.
yeah, your mail should all sync up as long as it is imap or exchange, and not pop.

I do what Roller does. I just backup my whole machine with carbon copy closer to a thunderbolt SSD, and then use the backup with migration assistant on the new machine to transfer everything. I have powerpc binaries from Leopard days that are on my M1 MBP, because I don’t bother pruning stuff. It works fine.

Back