Hyundai Promises To Keep Buttons in Cars Because Touchscreen Controls Are Dangerous

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Me too. We bought a 2018 Outback and Subaru went about 60% more touchscreen based after that and it’s a dealbreaker for me to buy another with that setup.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Me too. We bought a 2018 Outback and Subaru went about 60% more touchscreen based after that and it’s a dealbreaker for me to buy another with that setup.
I really miss the tactile controls in my BMW as well, you could just reach and move things without taking your eyes off the road without having to navigate through a bunch of confusing menus.

I turned on auto blinkers after an update on my Tesla and still can't figure out how to turn them off, half the time I'm googling how to perform basic functions.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Mom got a c. 2008 MB S550 and she could not operate it. Given that she was almost 80 at the time, she never really got how menu systems worked. So she was never able to operate the MB COMAND system. If I drove the car and forgot to put it back on AM, she would be stuck listening to whatever station I left it on.

Ended up "downgrading" her to a 2011 E550 which still had some physical buttons. It was not safe for her to be driving and trying to figure it out.

Ironically when I drove my daughters GLA 250, I kept trying to hit the screen to do certain functions and it isn't touchscreen.

In reality, I would be happy if every automaker could get together and decide which side of the steering when to put what set of controls and then everyone will do the same. In my truck, the radio is on the right, in the wife's Rover, they are on the left. So I end up bumping up the cruise control speed instead of the radio volume. :eek:

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes I believe tactile buttons are a better option than touch screen. However, there isn't a standard layout and anytime you get a new car or borrow one, you get just as distracted looking for the right button.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In reality, I would be happy if every automaker could get together and decide which side of the steering when to put what set of controls and then everyone will do the same. In my truck, the radio is on the right, in the wife's Rover, they are on the left. So I end up bumping up the cruise control speed instead of the radio volume. :eek:

Similarly I wish there was a plumber symposium where they standardize shower hardware. There are probably bank vaults less complex than some of the showers I’ve used, in some cases a bath/shower combo I unsuccessfully attempted to use.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I agree that buttons are generally better than touchscreens. But there are too many functions to provide a button for every one, and it can be just as distracting to find the right physical control if there are too many. So automakers need to use them for the most frequently-accessed tasks, differentiate them by size/feel, and put them where they'll make the most sense (steering wheel vs. panel).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You’re not allowed to text and drive because the screen distracts you from the road. Why are you allowed to operate a screen that is more complicated and directly affects your driving?

Maybe what we need is voice control for all those functions. “Car, change the radio station to XXXX.” “Car, turn on the windshield wipers.” “Car, set cruise control.”

Top Bottom
1 2