Intel reports largest quarterly loss in company history.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
From what I can tell, the two major ARM SoC sources other than Apple are Samsung and Qualcomm. The Raspberry Pi uses a Broadcom SoC, which would make them a significant manufacturer. nVidia has announced a server grade design, and there is the Fugaku supercomputer (now #2 in the top500). There are probably some other SoC vendors, but it seems likely that a fair number of licenses go to businesses that, like Apple, use in-house SoCs for their final products.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the two major ARM SoC sources other than Apple are Samsung and Qualcomm. The Raspberry Pi uses a Broadcom SoC, which would make them a significant manufacturer. nVidia has announced a server grade design, and there is the Fugaku supercomputer (now #2 in the top500). There are probably some other SoC vendors, but it seems likely that a fair number of licenses go to businesses that, like Apple, use in-house SoCs for their final products.
I think also MediaTek? And there were Chinese firms but I don’t know given the current state of embargoes (and what happened with ARM-China) what they’re allowed to use anymore.

Whatever happened to nuvia? Surely they‘ve managed to beat M2 Ultra by 30% already.

They say they’re coming - they even have an name now, Oryon. So hard part’s done. 🙃 Of course they’re also being sued by ARM so that should be interesting.

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
The Broadcom SoCs used in the various RPi models weren't developed for the RPi, they were smartphone chips. Even though Broadcom hasn't done great in smartphones, it's likely that RPi has always been much lower volume than their smartphone sales. Famously, the only reason the Raspberry Pi Foundation was even able to buy those chips was that Eben Upton, the founder of the RPi project, was a former Broadcom chip architect and used his inside connections. Without that, they probably never would have bothered selling chips to some weird hobbyist platform, nor would they have given a sweetheart deal on the chips to make it so affordable.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think the charts speak for themselves. I don't know why some folks think that the M-series designations are too complicated. Intel does provide more options...a lot more options, I'll give them that, I suppose.

This is the PC/Samsung/Shitware vendor thing. More options!

But more options aren't better if most of them are crap. All it does is confuse people and require you to build/ship/stock a much larger inventory of different SKUs.

Apple's philosphy of "good, better, best" is pretty much going to cover all bases and make it easier for the consumer to decide.

It's hard to buy a "bad" apple product, this is why the entry cost is a little higher than alternatives.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
The global PC market continues to collapse, except for the Mac. Among the top five computer makers, Apple was the only manufacturer to experience year-over-year growth, as global computer shipments contract. According to estimates from research firm IDC, Mac shipments surged by 10.3% to 5.3 million, with Apple in fourth place in unit shipments. Dell saw the largest decline, with shipments dropping by -22%. The overall PC industry declined by an average of -13.4% compared to the same quarter of last year.

Graph courtesy of MacDailyNews.

PCshipments.png

Apple no longer provides unit shipment data for the Mac, these figures are based upon IDC's own research. Apple plans to announce earnings for the most recent quarter on Thursday, August 3rd.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
One of the few Intel business units that consistently received praise was the NUC mini computer devision. The NUC units have long been considered to be Intel's answer to the Mac mini, and one of its primary competitors. Recent enthusiast models, featuring Intel's Arc graphics, have not received similar praise when compared to earlier models, being bigger, hotter, louder, and suffering from graphics driver issues.

Intel is now shuttering the NUC division, fully exiting the PC market as a branded system builder.

As the article notes, Intel have recently exited the Ethernet switch business, the Intel-branded server division, and Optane memory business, as Gelsinger continues to axe non-core products in an attempt to return to sustained profitability.

As someone who has a fetish for small computers, currently on my fourth Mac mini, this saddens me. However, the Mac mini has always been superior to equivalent small PCs, and with Apple Silicon, the gulf has widened further.

Top Bottom
1 2